UKC

Sportiva Nepals & G12 Crampon Problem

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 barbeg 27 Nov 2012
I'm sure someone will have an answer to this on here....
I have Size 42 Nepals and put some G12 Neumatic crampons on them - problem I am having is that despite an initial tight fit, when climbing the whole crampon shifts backwards, leaving but a centimeter of visible front points. Anybody else encountered this? Anybody come up with a solution?
Ended up going back to my old F2 cheese cutters....
Any advice/comment welcome...
Andy
birdman 27 Nov 2012
In reply to Andrew Mallinson:

yeah had a similar issue, but my crampons were quite old, so i just replaced them. Petzl seem to fit Sportiva boots better by all accounts and Grivel fit Scarpa boots best....

TobyA 27 Nov 2012
In reply to Andrew Mallinson: Same boots, even same size, same crampons with same bindings and have never had that problem. Can't even see how it could happen? Have you bent the front posts outward or something?
OP barbeg 27 Nov 2012
In reply to TobyA:
No, haven't bent them. It would appear that the front posts are too wide so that the boot slips forward/crampon slips backward. Only solution I can come up with is an old one from the days of bent tin Salewa's - a bail wire rount the front....
In reply to Andrew Mallinson: Same as TobyA, have used same boots, similar size (42.5), same crampons with same bindings and never had any issues...
 Ron Walker 27 Nov 2012

New Matic crampons in the smaller boot sizes such as size 5 or 6's and on boots with narrow welts such as the Scarpa Guides will often have less of the front points showing. However I wouldn't have thought it would be a major problem in size 8(42). Are the crampons and boots new or are the boots worn and have been resoled? Maybe somebody bent the front posts wider to fit ski boots?
 nniff 27 Nov 2012

Bend the posts in so that the crampon can't slide back......
 pass and peak 28 Nov 2012
Have a similar problem with my size 10s, but its because the front of the sole/midsole is now quite worn, ie no chance of fitting a crampon with a stainless spring wire front bail. Bending the front posts in a bit and making sure the strap is as tight as you can get it is about the best answer I found

You can replace the sliding crampon sizing mechanism with small bolts too, that makes the whole thing a bit more rigid.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...