UKC

Hüiten Peak / Mount Khuiten

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ScottMackenzie 27 Nov 2012
Hi UKC,

I was wondering if anyone had climbed Mount Khuiten before on the Mongolia border?

KE run a trip there in summer http://www.keadventure.com/trip/khu/mount-khuiten/dates.html

Has anyone been in winter perhaps with skis?

Cheers,
Scott
In reply to Scott_M@c:
I led a ski-mountaineering expedition to Mongolia in 2011 & climbed Khuiten amongst other 4000m peaks in the area. Some very fine descents including a probable first ski descent of Peak 3926m adjacent to Malchin. There's a feature account in the latest Alpine Journal and you can search for a report on the BMC website that Lindsay Griffin put together from info I sent. Great ski mountaineering country and the Mongolians are very friendly!
In reply to Dave Wynne-Jones:

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the comment. I found your report on the BMC website, looks great! What time of year did you go?

Cheers,
Scott.
In reply to Scott_M@c:
Hi Scott,
We went in May, but I think it's also got a lot to do with how long you can go for and whether you camp up on the glacier or choose catered luxury on the moraine. You can work out my choice from the report.
The problem is that bad weather can come in leaving quite short weather windows to get anything done. If you are a self-sufficient outfit camped up on the glacier you are much closer to the peaks & can snatch an ascent in a good weather window before it closes. I had a tough team who were happy with that strategy. Being there for 3 weeks in total also meant that we could sit out bad weather without running out of time to make ascents.
When the weather is good it's fantastic but when it's bad it's horrid. Wind as much if not more than precipitation.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...