UKC

Men can't be Mother Superiors

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trangia 28 Nov 2012
Following the spectacular success (in terms of number of postings, not content) of the "Women can't be Bishops" threads I thought I would launch this one to see what philosophical arguments might arise? Pedants resorting to biological arguments are requested to refrain from posting.
 Steve John B 28 Nov 2012
In reply to Trangia: Can trans* men be Mother Superiors?
In reply to Trangia:

surely it should read "mothers superior"...

OP Trangia 28 Nov 2012
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

That comes very close to being a pedant, but

You are correct.
 Tall Clare 28 Nov 2012
In reply to Trangia:

I'm probably talking bunkum, but isn't the difference between this and the bishop situation that a mother superior already has a male equivalent, i.e. head monk or whatever they're called?
In reply to Trangia:
> (In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs)
>
> That comes very close to being a pedant, but
>
> You are correct.

that should surely read..

"you come very close to being a pedant"

or

"that comes very close to being pedantic"

;-D

<gets coat, runs for exit>
OP Trangia 28 Nov 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to Trangia)
>
> I'm probably talking bunkum, but isn't the difference between this and the bishop situation that a mother superior already has a male equivalent, i.e. head monk or whatever they're called?

You are correct, but it would be a lot more fun to be a head monk in a nunnery than in a monkery, wouldn't it?
 Steve John B 28 Nov 2012
In reply to Trangia:
> (In reply to Tall Clare)
> [...]
>
> You are correct, but it would be a lot more fun to be a head monk in a nunnery than in a monkery, wouldn't it?

Or a head nun with a monkey?
 Ava Adore 28 Nov 2012
In reply to Trangia:

It's fine by me. If men want to do this, go ahead I say.
 ripper 28 Nov 2012
In reply to Trangia: <wonders which is more fun, bashing the bishop or slapping the mother superior>
 Ava Adore 28 Nov 2012
In reply to ripper:
Are they euphemisms?
Wiley Coyote2 28 Nov 2012
In reply to Trangia:
Or even spanking the monkey
 ripper 28 Nov 2012
In reply to Wiley Coyote:
> (In reply to Trangia)
> Or even spanking the monkey

...or smacking the pony?
I tried lightening the 'Women can't be bishops' thread with this poser but it seemed to go way under the heads of the combatants engaged in that particular conflict.
 Gone 28 Nov 2012
In reply to Steve John B:
> (In reply to Trangia) Can trans* men be Mother Superiors?

Yes, in the Catholic Church, because they don't accept transgenderism and always view someone as the gender they were assigned at birth. So you could have a hairy bearded Mother Superior with a pipe and a regular prescription for testosterone . I am sure this would be fine and the choir would appreciate having someone who could sing the bass part.
 RichardP 28 Nov 2012
In reply to Trangia:

Coming off topic a bit,
women being bishops,
men being mother superiors....

lets get down to basics, a couple of months ago I was with my better half in M&S.
I understood that M&S were an not prejudice to minority groups and were an equal opportunity employer. On this basis I made enquiries for a job I was flatly rejected and wasn't even offered an application form.

I feel this is totally out of order as I feel that I have alot to offer and I feel a calling for that occupation. some of you may disagree with me and be opposed to the role I feel I could perform aswell as any other person.

I feel that I was discriminated against on grounds of my gender. Could it be because my reproductive organs are on the outside of the body instead of the inside the body I am being discriminated.

After may hours of soul searching and possibly need of counselling M&S and I came to an agreement (which I was not happy about but you know these corporate types and their employees, the guy on the bottom has to do as he is told).

In the end they agreed that I could fit Bra's to all the men that needed them fitting.

Shearwater 28 Nov 2012
In reply to Trangia:

Well, Women Bishops is a political issue, innit? Abbots are no longer part of the Lords Spiritual, and so don't form part of our legislature. Any Abbess-related issues are therefore purely the problem of the Church, and need not affect anyone else, right?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...