UKC

Best albums of 2012

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 subalpine 28 Nov 2012
well, 21-40 anyway

i haven't been keeping up with the latest soundz- i've only just noticed orbital and godspeed have both released new albums this year (where have i been??)

very much liking godspeed!-reminds me of hawkwind..
youtube.com/watch?v=RXdF9uhVrI0&

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2012/nov/26/guardian-best-albums-...

any faves that should be in the list?
 Chay 28 Nov 2012
In reply to subalpine: I liked the Mumford and sons album..
 Gazlynn 28 Nov 2012
In reply to GingerBread22:

Alt J for me

cheers

Gaz
 Blue Straggler 28 Nov 2012
In reply to subalpine:

I didn't realise the Fiona Apple album was out, it came with little fanfare!
 Ireddek 28 Nov 2012

I'll second Mumford & Sons Babel also liked Come Of Age by The Vaccines & Algiers by Calexico.
In reply to subalpine: I'm not sure which of the albums I've listened to for the first time this year are this year's releases. I know I've listened to a few artists I've been meaning to track down for a while this year too, with mixed results.

I've discovered the 'Just Music' label and have listened to a few artists from there - Marconi Union and Jon Hopkins spring to mind. The label's 'Just Music cafe: the ambient zone' is, despite a bit of marketing that's both clever and dreadful centred around 'the most relaxing song ever', a fine listen and if laid back music grooves your truffles it's worth seeking out.

I also listened to Brian Eno's 'Small craft on a milk sea' which accomplishes an Eno first of being rather loud in parts. Again, not sure that's a release from this year though.

Spiro's 'Kaleidophonica' is though, and I've plugged it a few times on here. A fine set of acoustic instrumental music. A release that certainly isn't from this year but which I only discovered recently is Shooglenifty's 'A Whisky Kiss'; the track 'The price of a pig' is probably my favourite tune from the last twelve months.

Best concert of the year was the set played at WOMAD by the Portico Quartet. Santa is bringing me some of their stuff.

T.
 ti_pin_man 29 Nov 2012
for the metal heads out there I think the Stone Sour album is just brilliant, best real rock album in an aon.
 Offwidth 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Not the first... Eno did a sort of Punk track once but I can't remember the album (may be AGW).
In reply to subalpine:

G!YBE sound like Hawkwind? I'd always written Hawkwind off as old-skool tedious widdly nonsense. Are you telling me that they're actually epic post-rock amazingness?
In reply to subalpine:

Godspeed, Beach House and Bat For Lashes are amongst my albums of the year.

The Swans album is also pretty immense, and the XX and Grimes are also worthy of a mention. I'm sure I've forgotten something though...
In reply to Offwidth: It's not on AGW - all very mellow there as far as I can recall. Thinking about it a little more there are bits on Nerve Net that get surprisingly spirited, so perhaps not a first; though they don't perhaps come as quite as much of a surprise.

Small Craft On A Milk Sea is well worth a listen though for any Eno fans yet to hear it.

T.
 MonkeyPuzzle 29 Nov 2012
In reply to subalpine:

Clark's album, Iradelphic, on Warp has to be one of my favourite albums of the last five years, and the Alabama Shakes album is amazing too.
 tony 29 Nov 2012
In reply to victim of mathematics:

Godspeed and Beach House are on favourites too. The first track on the Godspeed album is immense.

Also this year, Coco Beware, by Caveman. I know it was released last year, but I only got to it this year. It's terrific.

I must check out the Dexy's album - it would be good if they really are back on form.

Surprised to see St Etienne in the Guardian's top 20 - I thought it was distinctly ordinary by comparison with other stuff.
 Toby S 29 Nov 2012
In reply to subalpine:

Mine so far:

Kvelertak - Kvelertak
Parkway Drive - Atlas
Deftones - Koi No Yokan
Polica - Give you the Ghost
Stone Sour - House of Gold and Bones
Bat for Lashes - The Haunted Man
Lord Huron - Lonesome Dreams
First Aid Kit - The Lion's Roar
Baroness - Yellow and Green
Killing Joke - MMXII
Of Monsters and Men - My Head is an Animal
Ellen and the Escapades - All the Crooked Scenes
Admiral Fallow - Tree Bursts in Snow
Europe - Bag of Bones
Speyside Sessions
Billy Talent - Dead Silence
Iain MacLaughlin and the Outsiders - We Are All Outsiders

Euge 29 Nov 2012
In reply to subalpine: MUSE MUSE MUSE

The 2nd Law is Amazing...

E
 Rampikino 29 Nov 2012
> (In reply to subalpine) I liked the Mumford and sons album..

Personally I was particularly disappointed with Babel, still am. It felt incohesive to me and some of the tracks, in fact a lot of the tracks, felt a bit like the collection of tracks that didn't make it onto the first album.
 Chris the Tall 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Toby S:
> Bat for Lashes - The Haunted Man
> First Aid Kit - The Lion's Roar
> Of Monsters and Men - My Head is an Animal

Not bought the albums, but have loved what I've heard from these three.
My problem is that I listen to 6music all the time, hear lots of great music, buy the albums and then never listen to them cos I'm too busy listening to 6music

> Europe - Bag of Bones

ITS THE FINAL COUNTDOWN !!!!!

I'm guessing a differant band....

Toby S 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Same band!! The last two albums have been excellent.
 r0b 29 Nov 2012
In reply to subalpine:

Plumb by Field Music is a sublime album
 Rourke 29 Nov 2012
In reply to r0b:

Off the top of my head, the Beach House and Perfume Genius Albums are my two favourites this year
 graeme jackson 29 Nov 2012
In reply to subalpine:
Rush . Clockwork angels is probably the only one of this year's releases I've enjoyed enough to buy.
Removed User 29 Nov 2012
In reply to subalpine:
Efterklang - Pyramide
 tim000 29 Nov 2012
In reply to subalpine: not heard it yet but i already know it will celebration day - led zep
 John H Bull 29 Nov 2012
In reply to subalpine:
The Orbital album is good - the v catchy track featuring Zola Jesus is brill.
You could stream a 20 min track off the godspeed lp on the Guardian website the other week - might be still up.

Other thumbs up: Among the Leaves by Sun Kil Moon; Lost Tapes by CAN
Thumbs down despite being several lists: Life is People, Bill Fay.

Sadly, no album by the mighty Fall, and the Mogwai remix lp doesn't seem up to much.
 Philo22 29 Nov 2012
In reply to subalpine:

High Contrast - The Agony and the Ecstasy
Albatross Overdrive - Albatross Overdrive
Nightwish - Wishmaster
 Toby S 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Philo22:

Wishmaster wasn't released this year though

Although if we're talking about albums we've heard for the first time this year I'll add 'La alarmane gå' by Honninbarna. Released last year but it's one of the best punk albums I've heard in years.
 mike123 29 Nov 2012
In reply to subalpine: first aid kit. the lions roar. saw them saturday, most excellent.
 Andy Farnell 29 Nov 2012
In reply to graeme jackson:
> (In reply to subalpine)
> Rush . Clockwork angels is probably the only one of this year's releases I've enjoyed enough to buy.

The same here. Simply the finest thing they've done since (including?) Moving Pictures. Best album by anyone for many a year, every song is outstanding in it's own right, but as a concept, stunning.

Andy F
In reply to graeme jackson:
> Rush . Clockwork angels is probably the only one of this year's releases I've enjoyed enough to buy.

+1

Can't wait for May - will be my 4th time, but still as excited as the first.

Muse - The 2nd Law also very good, but not as good as The Resistance (which has some musical genius about it in places).

As for Mumford...... - total s****, just like the 1st one!
In reply to andy farnell:
> (In reply to graeme jackson)
> [...]
>
> The same here. Simply the finest thing they've done since (including?) Moving Pictures. Best album by anyone for many a year, every song is outstanding in it's own right, but as a concept, stunning.
>
> Andy F

"(including?)" That's a bold statement! I think you need to listen to Moving Pictures again! Where's the track that isn't sublime(light) there?

Gotta say they're still not too shabby for 50 (very nearly 60) somethings! Most are on the gravy train, trotting out the same old, same old after 38 years. So, being brave on this album is to be admired. In fact, the last 3 albums (after a bit of a dip in form) have all been superb.

Best band ever! Best all-round guitarist ever (IMO), best drummer ever (in lots of peoples opinion), Geddy's pretty handy on that bass too. No mainstream publicity - ever - and they can still fill multiple nights at big venues. Biggest "underground" band ever? Perhaps so.
 Toby S 01 Dec 2012
In reply to Hugh J:

I've never been able to get into Rush. May have to give them another shot, I hate to think I'm missing out on something!
 John H Bull 01 Dec 2012
In reply to Toby S:
I've never managed to listen to more than 5 minutes of Rush, mostly cos of the vocals. Seems to me you might as well stick a King Crimson instrumental on, and fully mic up your bathroom while throwing your tomcat in a tub of cold water.
 Toby S 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Hugh J:
> (In reply to andy farnell)
> [...]
>
> "(including?)" That's a bold statement! I think you need to listen to Moving Pictures again! Where's the track that isn't sublime(light) there?
>
Downloaded Moving Pictures the other night and its not been off since! Brilliant album, no idea why I had reservations about them before. The latest album is pretty good too.
 stujamo 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Toby S: "streets in the sky"
The Enemy
 malky_c 05 Dec 2012
In reply to subalpine: This year is even worse than 2011 for me having any idea what is out. So far only bought the new Deftones one and the new ...and you will know us by the trail of dead one. Both really good but not sure about album of the year material. My album of the year is Mogwai's Hardcore will never die but you will, and that was out in 2011. Must try harder!
In reply to bullybones:
> (In reply to Toby S)
> I've never managed to listen to more than 5 minutes of Rush, mostly cos of the vocals. Seems to me you might as well stick a King Crimson instrumental on, and fully mic up your bathroom while throwing your tomcat in a tub of cold water.

Yes, Geddy's voice is a bit like Marmite, certainly in the early days (before Moving Pictures). He has mellowed somewhat as the years have gone by.

Nice one Toby!
deleted user 10 Dec 2012
In reply to subalpine: wild nothing-nocturne
callumrhcp 11 Dec 2012
Brilliant new artist:

Tony Haven

just brought out his new album called 'Sun Set To Rise'

if you like instrumental one man band chilled out melt in your mouth harmonies and chatchy hooks...this is the album for you
 pebbles 11 Dec 2012
In reply to Toby S:
>
>
> First Aid Kit - The Lion's Roar

just youtubed this and love it!!!!!

In reply to subalpine:

Asia 'XXX' is pretty good - though you have to be careful when you google it!

Just got my tickets for their sellout gig at Manchester next week. They sound even better than they did when their first album appeared XXX years ago!
In reply to subalpine: Having just listened to Skulk by Jim Moray I've realised that was released this year. Worth putting in the list, particularly for the 'folkies not fogeys' types. There's some top class music on that record.

T.
 Jackwd 14 Dec 2012
In reply to subalpine: The XX - Coexist has some really good tracks on it! There's also a great remix of Angels by Bodhi!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...