UKC

Old man needs advice on Xbox 360

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lelaitcondense 28 Nov 2012
....I'm only 26. I'm planning on buying my wife an xbox for christmas but turns out i'm pretty useless. Does anyone know if i buy a 4gb model is it as simple as plugging a 250gb hard drive into if i wish to upgrade or is it more complicated than that? Cheers!
 Jordon Fleming 28 Nov 2012
depends what model ur looking at and what sort of harddrive u want to put on it
Removed User 28 Nov 2012
In reply to Jordon Fleming:

Slightly off topic... my kids keeps freezing...the picture kind of jams/ pixellates and a red light comes on around the perimeter of the on/off button on the front of the box. Any ideas as to why plse??
 LukeyG 28 Nov 2012
In reply to Removed User: google red ring of death
 LukeyG 28 Nov 2012
In reply to lelaitcondense: depends on what your using it for, 4gb is fine for me for games.
 Pocoyo 28 Nov 2012
In reply to lelaitcondense:

Hi i have a 250gb xbox 360.

The old style xbox 360's had a clip off style 60gb hard drive, you can dismantle one of these and H/D can be installed into a 4gb xbox increasing memory a quick google should point you in right direction, i dont think you can buy just any old H/D to upgrade either.

I use a 32gb memory stick with mine to watch films through but it wont recognize an external hard drive, Microsoft wont allow 3rd party drives to be used on xbox anymore.

If you can stretch to a 250gb model it is better especially if you are planning on playing a lot of games you can install them onto H/D this stops the disc drive constantly spinning whilst game playing and can also prolong the life of the disc drive, laser and make the console that much quieter, plus you can store films to H/D through a flash drive.

Hope this helps!
 cuppatea 28 Nov 2012

Get the 250. It will allow you to play all the games some features are not usable with only 4 gig and it will allow online play, DLC, music storage etcetc...
 cuppatea 28 Nov 2012

I researched this quite a bit recently, typing on my phone now so can't get you links but google "Xbox 4 vs 250" or similar words 250 is the way forward.
Beware the dodgy advice of taking an old style hdd apart and slotting it into a 4 gig console, I thought about it but tech savvy mates of mine talked me out of it
In reply to cuppatea:

Thanks thats great advice, i'll shell out for the 250, cheers
Removed User 29 Nov 2012
In reply to LukeyG:

thanks Lukey thats v interesting
 The Lemming 29 Nov 2012

As a media streamer/games machine, which is best 360 or Playstation?
 Jep_uk 29 Nov 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

Not sure what the Xbox is like, guessing its pretty good from some things you see, kindct has worked very well for party games etc, better than ps3 move; move is good but not enough support.

Ps3 has bluray so big selling point, it's got wifi plus Ethernet connection, will play avi/divx etc.

For streaming films from pc to ps3 bit of a pain as need software on pc (think windows media player does it but my pc is old and won't run the required version), otherwise it's not bad, but can always transfer films via USB flash drives, much easier.

It does have 4od, bbc I player, plus other film things, vidzone (free music vids).

Game wise ps3 has some quality games, especially exclusives like uncharted 3, but for 3rd party games (e.g. CoD) are better on Xbox as its easier to code for and because microsoft pay for exclusives (but seems to be to paying to make ps3 version crapper).
scrufff 29 Nov 2012

Get the 250, then as has been said you can copy games to it and play them from there without the DVD whizzing round all the time. Granted mine's an older one, but it still sounds like a jet taking off at the best of times.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...