UKC

Value Hot Mitts for Cold Hands???

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Flat4matt 28 Nov 2012
What mitts are people using for standing/belaying etc? Over the last few months ive started suffering from cold hands (which is a joke as its not even cold yet!!) so am after some "good value" mitts. I appreciate winter climbing is about being cold and cold hands are part and parcel of the game however anything that can retain that bit more heat and keep any sort of feeling in my fingers is obviously a bonus and makes life on the hills more enjoyable!!!

Also, another question regarding wearing gloves. do you pull the gauntlet of the glove over the top of your jacket cuff or pull the cuff over the glove gauntlet and adjust the jacket cuff to minimise any gaps to stop snow getting in?

cheers
Matt
 neuromancer 28 Nov 2012
In reply to Flat4matt:

A pair of skytec argons (budget stash ice climber's gloves) work damned well I find?
 DaveHK 28 Nov 2012
In reply to Flat4matt:

Dachsteins or pertex and pile for value
 neuromancer 28 Nov 2012
In reply to Flat4matt:

Buffalo mitts are great walking mitts, but I'm not sure I'd want to do fiddly belaying in them?
 DaveHK 28 Nov 2012
In reply to neuromancer:

Not ideal perhaps but perfectly workable.
 Bradders 28 Nov 2012
In reply to Flat4matt: I like the army surplus goretex mitts cheap and pretty good too
 Taurig 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Flat4matt:

Check out the ski section of your local TKmaxx. I got a pretty solid and thick pair of mitts just the other day for £20. The brand is Gordini, never heard of them before but they seem well made. They also had a pair of very thick pile mitts by the same brand, but they didn't have my size unfortunately.
In reply to Flat4matt:

Outdoor Designs Summit Inferno are awesome belay gloves, highly recommended.

Stuart
 GarethSL 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Flat4matt: Selbuvotter I keep them inside my jacket until I'm at the belay, swap gloves to keep the others warm. Plus they look ghetto as shit!

Always have my gloves over my jacket cuff.
 Monk 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Flat4matt:

I've not got a recommendation for cheap mitts, but something that I have found to make a huge difference to having warm hands is a pair of cheap liner gloves. http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/blue-mountain-thermal-inner-glove-1c310263?i... I've been using these for years and they are great. They also have the advantage that you can put damp hands in gloves without that annoying 'sticking to the lining' thing happening.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...