UKC

MTB near the Roaches

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stone Muppet 29 Nov 2012
I got some excellent suggestions for Peak rides on another thread (http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=522790) but they're all around Edale/Eastern Edges way.

Is there anything comparable near the Roaches? Preferably gritlike as well, though my main criterion is not too muddy after all this rain!
 OffshoreAndy 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Stone Muppet: Best bet is the area around Macc forest - Charity Lane, Wildborough Clough etc. The roaches area itself is probably unrideable at the moment
 muppetfilter 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Stone Muppet: There is a nice trail ride from the cat and fiddle.
OP Stone Muppet 30 Nov 2012
...any more details?
 Howardw1968 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Stone Muppet:
> though my main criterion is not too muddy after all this rain!

Erm whats the point of MTB riding without loads of mud?

OP Stone Muppet 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Stone Muppet: My swampthing tyres are so nice and shiny and if I get dirt on them I won't look nearly so cool hanging out on a saturday night
 racerfozzy 30 Nov 2012
Hi, I've lived on the Roaches for the last 27 years and there aren't many legal routes. There is the route you've already mentioned from the Cat and Fiddle through 3 shires head and eventually coming up the very far Skyline end of the Roaches from the valley bottom but any paths above the road are all footpaths and out of bounds for any cycling. with the exception of the couple of km of bridleway that cuts between the Roaches and Hen Cloud but some of that is permissive...

The best and VERY muddy (dark) Peak routes are indeed in the Hope/Edale area, far more challenging and faster than anything the Roaches can offer...And I really can't see the appeal of the stuff around Macc Forest it's all a bit short and over a bit quick...

Hope this helps..
OP Stone Muppet 03 Dec 2012
Cheers all. We ended up in the dark peak! Nice for future reference though
 Alex@home 03 Dec 2012

there's quite a bit of good riding around whaley bridge and hayfield which is closer to the roaches than the eastern edges. have a look at chinley churn, rowarth, penine bridleway and tracks on the edale side of kinder. several routes suggested in the dark peak MTB guide

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...