/ Borrowdale/ Langdale single pitch crag?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
spidermonkey09 - on 29 Nov 2012
Hi,
Any ideas for a straightforward single pitch crag other than Shepherd's Crag in the Lakes suitable for taking a group to?
All suggestions appreciated, cheers.
nightmonkeyuk - on 29 Nov 2012
In reply to spidermonkey09:
woden's face...might as well add to the polish. its near the bowderstone.
dodfoster - on 30 Nov 2012
In reply to spidermonkey09: there's the classic lower scout crag in langdale. all easy top ropes and it's pretty much all the crag gets used for.......
Jamie B - on 30 Nov 2012
In reply to dodfoster:

> there's the classic lower scout crag in langdale. all easy top ropes and it's pretty much all the crag gets used for.......

Also polished to a sheen, and consequently not that easy!

I'm not a local, nor have I worked on Lakes crags, but the conclusion I've drawn from many visits is that it's pretty rubbish for SPA-style venues.

My suspicion is that local providers and centres will have their own venues, which may well not be listed in guides, and will be a little possessive about them, so finding the info may be a challenge!

jonny taylor on 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:
> My suspicion is that local providers and centres will have their own venues, which may well not be listed in guides

There is of course the list of suggested group crags in the back of the selected FRCC guide. Can anybody comment on whether that is a helpful list?
scott quinn - on 30 Nov 2012
In reply to spidermonkey09: scout crag is rarther polished and usually quite busy, have you thought about raven crag walthwaite, some nice S / Vs routes on there.

Could always visit some of the smaller quarries like tilberthwaite for a large selection of single pitch climbs.

Whilst we are on about this has anyone climbed on kettle crag? worth a visit?
Jamie B - on 30 Nov 2012
In reply to scott quinn:

> have you thought about raven crag walthwaite, some nice S / Vs routes on there.

A bit too big for bottom-roping, and probably hard to rig at the top.
In reply to Jamie Bankhead: Depends how long your rope is :D haha no I didnt really think about that, which is pretty daft considering it was one of your main requirements! It's still too early for my brain to function...
Jamie B - on 30 Nov 2012
In reply to scott quinn:

Not *my* main requirement - it's not me that's planning a top/bottom-roping trip to the Lakes!
In reply to Jamie Bankhead: "It's still too early for my brain to function..." Point proven :)
jonny taylor on 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:
I've seen it done (bottom roping if I remember rightly). It's not all that high. Rigging at the top looked like a faff though.
spidermonkey09 - on 30 Nov 2012
In reply to scott quinn: Cheers for the suggestions guys.
It wouldn't actually be used for top roping in all likelihood, we just have a lot of inexperienced people leading vs and below. Cheers!
Mark Bull - on 30 Nov 2012

Long Scar? Not quite in Langdale, but close enough.
MFB - on 30 Nov 2012
> (In reply to scott quinn) Cheers for the suggestions guys.
> It wouldn't actually be used for top roping in all likelihood, we just have a lot of inexperienced people leading vs and below. Cheers!

lower scout - the protection on some of the routes is sparse and the polish(for leading)is hellish - probably not great for' lot of inexperienced people leading vs and below'

your going to have to be 'manned up' to climb on Black crag/Long scar langdale at this time of year

as someone already said langdale is not blessed with great single pitch crags
ads.ukclimbing.com
Trevor Langhorne on 30 Nov 2012
Try Headend quarry which is in the new FRCC Eden Valley etc Guide. About 12 miles from Keswick, great views over the Lakes, Solway and to Galloway and Southern Uplands. Pretty sunny and sheltered despite its hill top location. Belay stakes in place on top. 2 minutes flat walk from the car.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.