UKC

It's going to be the coldest winter on record

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trangia 30 Nov 2012
Heavy snow and considerable travel disruption expected from late Dec until early March.
 Pete Dangerous 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Trangia:

Is your source the Daily Mail?
 CurlyStevo 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Trangia:
Source please? I have seen no credible that are saying this. Doesn't mean it won't happen mind, there does seem to be a gradual trend over the last decade for colder winters on the whole.
crow-media 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Trangia:

The Daily Express is not generally the best place to source weather stories.
 DaveHK 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Trangia:

I saw some red seaweed lying down in the morning.

davegs 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Trangia:

This was also in the Daily Torygraph
 j_duds 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Trangia:

"with long-range forecasters warning that temperatures could fall to as low as minus 20°c (4°f) in some areas through December and January."

Source:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2239556/UK-weather-forecast-Britain...

But the source doenst say who the long-range forecasters are!
 j_duds 30 Nov 2012
In reply to j_duds:
also here:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/9710681/Britain-prepares-for-ice-...

"The forthcoming cold snap, caused by clear skies and northerly winds, could herald the start of a freezing winter. There are reports that temperatures could fall as low as -20°c in some areas in December and January. "

"could herald the start of a freezing winter"!!!!
crow-media 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Blinder:

From your Met Office blog link..

'The science does not exist to make detailed forecasts for temperature and snowfall for the end of this month, let alone for December or even the winter as a whole'.
 CurlyStevo 30 Nov 2012
In reply to j_duds:
In the same vein it hadn't even got cold yet in winter of 09/10 and that was the coldest for a very long time!
 David Cowley 30 Nov 2012
Another publicity stunt from major retailer/company trying to get everyone on the band and selling their left over stock from last winter or new stock arrived for this winter. I know someone who is in the RAF studying meteorology and have been told on numerous occasions no one can predict weather in excess of 2 weeks and even at 4/5 days its all guess work. So I'd say have all your winter gear packed and works number on speed dual ready to phone in sick when conditions are in
 Mark Bull 30 Nov 2012
In reply to j_duds:

Express article gives Exacta Weather http://www.exactaweather.com/ as its source for this. As far as I can tell, this forecast is based largely on sunspot activity, and a misunderstanding of recent work on the correlation between solar activity and European winter temperatures.

The Express article also refers to Vantage Weather Services http://www.vantageweatherservices.co.uk whose (free) forecast for the winter turns out on closer exception to be pretty unexceptional (average temps for Dec and Jan, cold Feb).
 Oujmik 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Trangia: Whilst the story is probably rubbish, it has at least been a dramatic start to the winter. Friend of mine who runs a ski chalet in the Alps has seen the pistes go from green grass to 60cm of snow and fully open in the space of 3 days this week - and to think I waited until the end of Jan to go out because I was worried there would be no snow!
OP Trangia 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Pete Dangerous:
> (In reply to Trangia)
>
> Is your source the Daily Mail?

No!

But who needs sources when you are an eternal optimist?
 subalpine 30 Nov 2012
In reply: ahh, this may explain 100 year headline:
'NASA predicts that solar cycle 24 will peak in early or mid 2013 with about 59 sunspots. This would make it the least active cycle in the past one hundred years'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_cycle_24
 JoshOsh 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Trangia:

There was a program a while ago about snow in the UK. The presenter visited Tesco, who employ people to monitor the weather as it affects deliveries. They were convinced we were going to have a freezing winter.

When they spoke to the MetOffice they said they had no idea what the weather would be - they couldn't predict such a thing so far ahead. It just goes to show that it is really hard to know what the weather will be but I guess "Mild, damp winter predicted" isn't as exciting a headline as "Freezing winter to kill all old people".
 yer maw 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Trangia: I'll keep the garden furniture and bbq out then. One of those articles says paper sales go up 10% with a headline of extreme weather. Now call me Michael Fish and stick a bunnet on my head but I'll wait and see.
 Brass Nipples 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Trangia:

It was -5c out on mountain bike this morning. No snow just heavy frost. Nice seeing the sun coming up though and ground nice and firm.
In reply to Blinder:

I love this bit, "Ultimately, we’re heading into winter and we expect winter to be colder than the rest of the year" They know their stuff those Met Office boys.
 jacobfinn 01 Dec 2012
In reply to j_duds:

> "with long-range forecasters warning that temperatures could fall to as low as minus 20°c (4°f) in some areas through December and January."

Does this not happen most winters in the UK, at some point, somewhere. Hardly the herald of the next Ice Age. Weather forecasters are a bunch of scare-mongering idiots.

The forecast yesterday for where I am working in the hills in Fife on the BBC website was for sleet/light rain all day. It was a beautiful, cold day. About as different as you can get.
 kwoods 01 Dec 2012
In reply to jacobfinn:
> (In reply to j_duds)
>
Weather forecasters are a bunch of scare-mongering idiots.

Load of pish. Change that to Daily Mail then you're closer.
 martinph78 01 Dec 2012
In reply to kwoods:
> (In reply to jacobfinn)
> [...]
> Weather forecasters are a bunch of scare-mongering idiots.
>
> Load of pish.

Very politly put
 Brass Nipples 01 Dec 2012
In reply to Trangia:

Since it is on record that the Thames regularly froze over in the 17th century; I expect to see a repeat. Otherwise your title is tabloid nonsense.
 digby 01 Dec 2012
In reply to jonathan shepherd:

> "Ultimately, we’re heading into winter and we expect winter to be colder than the rest of the year"

They haven't been to Edinburgh
 deepsoup 01 Dec 2012
In reply to Trangia:
Predicted with the same degree of certainty as the widespread droughts in what was going to be the driest year since 1976 back in March?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...