UKC

Anyone climbed at Devil's Peak (Hong Kong)?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 climbingronnie 30 Nov 2012

Thinking of heading to Devil's Peak in East Kowloon to kill a day in Hong Kong...

Just wondering if anyone knows if a 50m single rope is long enough to ab down the main slab as detailed here:

http://hongkongclimbing.com/guide/devils-peak-2/

Any info much appreciated!
In reply to drumming_ronnie: It says 'short abseil' and if it needed a long rope the website would normally say so.

I've not heard of anyone climbing there much.
 Simon CD 01 Dec 2012
In reply to drumming_ronnie:

Once, about 5 years ago. Very good if you are into padding up granite slabs. I don't recall any problems with the approach, although there were three of us so we did have two ropes with us but I think we abbed on one. Might have been 55m though.

Sorry, not much help!
Thanks Neil and Simon, thought it was a bit of a long shot that anyone would have been!

Padding up granite slabs sounds perfect...
 Simon CD 02 Dec 2012

I've posted a photo!
 mlt 02 Dec 2012

Hey, yep, I have a couple times. I recall it being pretty enjoyable, though pretty damned sharp granite! I think you should be fine with a 50m single. I recall I did the same, though it was a 3-ish years ago. Check out the quarry on the other side of Lei Ye Mun village as it has some interesting clean (unclimbed) looking routes.
In reply to Simon CD:

Thanks, looks like the perfect angle to me!
In reply to mlt:

Great, thanks for that. Exploring will have to wait for another day though I reckon...
For anyone interested, went to Devils Peak last Sunday and enjoyed a nice day cragging with views of Hong Kong skyscrapers. Useful things to note:

1) A 50m rope is *just* long enough to reach the bottom of the main slab, if you go off the lower bolt belay (the top of Special Forces), and are prepared to ab off the end of the rope to step down the last 2 feet of the slab. 9 quick draws required for most of the routes.

2) The upper section has had a large quantity of red/pink paint poured down it, covering the 2 routes there and probably affecting the frictional qualities of the granite quite severely! Luckily it is possible to scramble off to the RHS (facing in).

3) Don't miss out on the views from the top of the peak after your climb, it's only about 100m up the hill and you get 360 degree views from the old WWII posts at the top - pretty special.

Enjoy!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...