UKC

Glass splashback - how to remove (safely)?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Martin W 30 Nov 2012
The glass splashback above our hob has developed a crack (we suspect due to movement in the wall behind, though it might be heat related). In planning its replacement, the question has arisen of how to remove it, given that it's glued to the plaster. The brute force and ignorance approach which I understand is traditional with tiles would seem likely to shower the kitchen with shards of broken glass. Experience leads me to believe that this might create a hazard for users of the aforementioned workspace.

The best suggestions I've been offered so far have been to cover the face of the glass with tape eg duct tape, or Blue Peter stylee sticky-backed plastic, and then proceed as for tiles. While this approach seems likely to work, I'm wondering if there are better ways to do it?
 dale1968 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Martin W: hbm should work, if you want to smash a window quietly cover it in tape, although I always prefer to smash things to bits then spend the rest of the day clearing it up!
andic 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Martin W:

The grab adhesives usually used for that kind of thing are often pretty crap if moisture/oils are present, I expect that your splash back has been there yonks and so the adhesive is pretty well cured though.

I wouldn't bother but you could try some WD40 down the back it might work over time,

one of our technicians disassembled a thread locked vacuum chamber this week, which is probably a similar problem, he used something i've never heard off, he has gone home now. I can ask him on monday.
 frqnt 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Martin W:
Acetone.
OP Martin W 30 Nov 2012
In reply to frqnt:
> (In reply to Martin W)
> Acetone.

As in nail varnish remover? Might take quite a few bottles! Is there a lower-cost way to source it than from Superdrug??! Ah, a quick Google suggests that it is possible to buy it in larger quantities.
andic 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Martin W:

Ask a materials/chemistry/biology student
 muppetfilter 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Martin W: I would be tempted to tape it , smash it with a hammer and then get a bolster down the back and gently chip it free. Get hold of a henry or other type of industrial hoover to clear up any shards. Also be carefull not to walk shards over the house.
 Sayon 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Martin W: I've just fitted one of these- as I understand it the splashbacks are all made of safety glass, so if this is the case you shouldn't have a problem.
Rigid Raider 01 Dec 2012
In reply to Shropshire Climbing Centre:

It should be safety glass. Slip a saw blade down the back and wiggle it around until you break the seal.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...