UKC

NEW ARTICLE: VIDEO: Let There Be Light - Photography Instruction

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 30 Nov 2012
Let there be light, 3 kbIn this excellent photography video from Kamil Tamiola we are shown through the various techniques in taking long exposure photographs in the mountains.

As well as this video, Kamil has produced a long article on his website, with further information.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=5133

James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 01 Dec 2012
In reply to UKC Articles: Great video, thanks for taking the time to put it together.
 NottsRich 01 Dec 2012
At around 15 minutes in the video he's talking about inspecting the image for exposure. Does he mean using the LCD display, or a histogram?

If he means the display, then how do you ensure that the LCD brightness is correctly adjusted? For example, if the display is set up too dull then all images shown on it will appear underexposed, even if they are perhaps ok or overexposed.

This is a problem that I've always had in shots in the daylight, but have learned to use the histogram instead of the LCD for this. Can you use the histogram succesfully at night as well?
 andi turner 02 Dec 2012
In reply to NottsRich: I often use the histogram for night shots. Ensure that there is a gap before the peak on the left hand side and tht makes for a good start.
 Sean Kelly 02 Dec 2012
In reply to NottsRich: Great video Kamil. I really enjoyed watching as a lot of work is involved here. Obviously based in the Alps you have a better chance of cleaner air because of the high altitude you can access. I not familiar with the tripod you are using but i have found that a video tripod (ball-head) with stabilised legs gives good stability. On the point about inspecting the exposed image, it is as well to check both the image displayed on the screen and also the Histogram. Best to trust the latter but with such a difficult subject it is perhaps even better to bracket exposures. Quite easy to do with the pro-camera when set in hi-speed mode. Cards are cheap but getting to these locations is not, so have a few handy. Another important point especially when working on long exposures and cold conditions is the state on the cameras batteries as this technique is very draining of power. I am not aware of any Reciprocity issues with digital cameras but film users need to be aware of this factor effecting exposure.
I love you photos on UKC and we are lucky to have such a talented photographer posting on this site.
Kamil Tamiola 03 Dec 2012
In reply to James Rushforth: Thanks!
Kamil Tamiola 03 Dec 2012
In reply to Sean Kelly: Dear Sean! Thank you for your flattering feedback and more importantly very insightful tips! Indeed, batteries are always an issue. NIKON D3 / D3s / D4 batteries are excellent in that respect. However, I always have at least 2 spare batteries.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...