UKC

Down jacket suitable for -30C and lower?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Iwan 02 Dec 2012
I'm after a jacket that will keep me comfortable when at temperatures around -30 when I'm stationary. What are my options?

I'll be ski camping in the Arctic Circle so I don't want anything too heavy.
Removed User 02 Dec 2012
In reply to Iwan:

My Rab Neutrino works well at those temps but I'm not sure I'd want to be standing around too long.
 Sean_J 02 Dec 2012
In reply to Iwan: Check out PHD's website (I have a Xeno jacket, which is good to -35). Rab Neutrino won't be warm enough, that was a down right dangerous suggestion - I have one of those too btw, it's nice for UK winter but it's a stitch-through construction and way less down in it than the Xero.
 Sean_J 02 Dec 2012
In reply to Sean_J: Sorry, Xero is actually -40 rated.

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/product_info.php?cat=110&products_id=56

The PHD Omega might be worth looking at too. The only thing Rab make that might work is the Expedition jacket AFAIK
 Denni 02 Dec 2012
In reply to Iwan:

I haven't been ski camping but have used a pulk plenty of times and I used a TNF Himalayan Parka down to minus 38 ish? and I was toasty bordering on the too hot on some occasions.

Not exactly lightweight but it was strapped to the pulk when I wasn't using it. I think is was about 1.5 kilos and a godsend when it was baltic.

It does pack down surprisingly small, depends if you want the extra weight.
Failing that, a PHD Xero jacket is probably the way forward.
Hope this helps, Den
 TobyA 02 Dec 2012
In reply to Sean_J: PHD themselves say to take those temp ratings with a pinch of salt. I've camped out at temperatures down to -28 for a week, I had a Buffalo big face shirt, a buffalo belay jacket a TNF Nuptse and it was absolutely fine. A lot depends on what you have on under your down jacket. If it's not windy or snowing (rather unlikely in Scandinavia from my experience at least to be both that cold and windy) it's surprisingly easy to keep your body warm at those sort of temperatures when you're dry and not doing too much.

I would have thought any of the big down jackets from PHD, RAB, ME or the North American companies would do all right for this sort of use. Box wall will be better than sewn through, but even a well stuffed sewn through jacket can be impressively warm. http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=1564
Removed User 02 Dec 2012
In reply to Sean_J:
> Rab Neutrino won't be warm enough, that was a down right dangerous suggestion -

Sorry. I guess I must bow down to your superior experience at these temperatures.
 Denni 02 Dec 2012
In reply to Sean_J:
Rab Neutrino won't be warm enough, that was a down right dangerous suggestion -

Really? Loads of people wearing them for belaying last time I was climbing in winter in Canada and it was effing baltic.

All depends on your layering system. Not a dangerous suggestion at all, rather sensible and one from experience no doubt due to the location of the poster.
 TobyA 02 Dec 2012
In reply to Removed User: He lives in Leeds, coldest place in the known universe don't you know?!

How cold is it in your neck of the woods now? -17.6 here - I know this precisely because I'm about to go and sleep in the back garden to test a recently arrived sleeping bag for UKC! Hoping ME have got their figures correct!
 Denni 02 Dec 2012
In reply to TobyA

Enjoy Toby!

My mate in Canmore was out camping on Friday and it was minus 16.
A different kind of camping mind, a wigwam with a wood stove!
Removed User 03 Dec 2012
In reply to TobyA:

It was about -16 here last week but up to about -10 at the moment. Lots of snow so far this year.
 galpinos 03 Dec 2012
In reply to Iwan:

Quality, box-wall, stylish as well:

http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/the_gear/clothing/insulation/k7_jacket-...

I've got a Rab Neutrino and which is fine, but the waterproof zip is rubbish (Rab, why? It's a down jacket) and the velco wrist tabs have pulled off. I've be looking at a Vega to replace it but it I was after something warner, the K7 looks the ticket (and feels it when I've shop-fondled one)
 lost1977 03 Dec 2012
In reply to Iwan:

Rab expedition, very warm maybe a bit bulky but its a sacrifice i would be happy to make
Simon_Sheff 03 Dec 2012
In reply to Iwan:

Try some layers underneath?
m0unt41n 03 Dec 2012
In reply to Iwan: If going for PHD I would check that they have improved their zips in the last couple of years. Got a Yukon and minimus jackets plus a vest and the zips are hopeless in all three. The bottom of the zip doesnt lock together reliably so every now and again it opens up from the bottom.

I far prefer RAB for cold (old Extreme Summit and an Expedition Jacket) since in my opinion they seem to be made a lot better than PHD even if PHD reckon they have better down.

But the fit of the jacket and what you wear underneath is pretty important.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...