/ Family Trees/ Genealogy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
elephant0907 - on 02 Dec 2012
Anyone done much of this?

I'm doing a family tree thing for my Dad's birthday but I'm stuck at about 1833. There were a lot of Patrick Boylans in Ireland then and not many records.

I'm on ancestry.co.uk and genes reunited at the moment, but just looking for tips/stories really.

:D

Lord of Starkness - on 03 Dec 2012
In reply to elephant0907:

A lot of Irish records ( particularly Ulster ones) were destroyed in a fire. Progress is difficult unless you have specific parish / church references.

A useful source of information can be via Rootschat. There are a lot of keen genealogists on there, who will generally be able to come up with suggestions - some of which may seem a bit 'off the wall' yet have helped me a lot. Simple things like census enumerators writing down what they think they've heard, when dealing with illiterate people. I 'lost' my ancestors in one census - only to find them when Stark ( spoken with a strong Fife accent) became transcribed as Steark.

Other sources are via records held by the LDS church - and are available for free. Also try the International Genealogical Index - (IGI), and Rootsweb, and familysearch.org.

There are also a number of 'one name studies' -- Try a search using 'Boylan one name study'.

That should keep you going for several months! -- This game can be a proverbial 'black hole for time'.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Noelle - on 03 Dec 2012
In reply to elephant0907:

If you have no luck with the above very good suggestions, I can recommend visiting the last place showing records for your ancestor. At the very least, you'd have a lovely mini-break in Ireland! :)

Its true that lots of Irish records got destroyed in the Irish civil war when the Post Office on O'Connell Street in Dublin was damaged. However, Ireland is a very small country and the rural areas in particular have tiny populations.

I went to find a village that no longer existed in County Mayo, where my Grandfather was born. The parish church didn't hold many old records but it did have a rough illustration of the area circa the correct time. I talked to some people around the buildings that fitted the last census address and the local library was a great help too in finding out about the history of the area.

I eventually found the old family cottage (now used to store farm implements!) and brought back an old bottle from the site, plus lots of pictures. Next I need to go to Donegal and repeat the process, which will be fun as well!

Good luck with your research.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.