UKC

Homeland - Sunday 2nd Dec Episode Spoiler

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Homeland doesn't seem to get unnecessarily complex (unlike that dreadful Hunted series) but I did find myself puzzled by the ending on Sunday.

Why was Quinn going to assassinate Brody until the moment he found that Abu Nazir hadn't been caught/killed?

Is it just something that hasn't been revealed yet about the shady dealings of Quinn and Estes, or did I miss something in the plot?

Alan
 cuppatea 03 Dec 2012
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Mrs Tea and I had the thought that when Nazir was dead there would no longer be a need for Brody and in an effort to save tax dollars and avoid tabloid scandal he would be shot.

Agreed, Hunted was too complicated for its own good. And the acting was carp. I think i read that Melissa George was an option for Carrie's role in Homeland, that would have been a mistake.
 cuppatea 03 Dec 2012

Was Quinn not told "we still need him", or similar, at the end?
 nw 03 Dec 2012
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax: .
Yeah I thought they aborted as they need him alive as he is their only link to Nazir. If Nazir was dead, then they no longer needed Brody. But they had failed to kill Nazir, so for now Brody must be kept alive.

Not sure why they want to kill him though - punishment or pragmatic reasons?
In reply to nw:
> Not sure why they want to kill him though - punishment or pragmatic reasons?

Yes, I think that is a puzzle. I suspect the reason may become clear next week in the final episode but I think there may be more to the Estes/Quinn/guy on the bus link than is so far apparent.

Alan
 andy 03 Dec 2012
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax: Is next week the end? I thought our tv guide said last night was 9/12?
Removed User 03 Dec 2012

Does anyone know if they will be ending it with the possibility of a third series (or season if you are a yank)?
Removed User 03 Dec 2012

Forgot to add. That was 9 of 12 last night, three more episodes to see.

And yes he said to Quinn "we still need him".
 andy 03 Dec 2012
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed UserAlan James - UKC and UKH)
>
> Does anyone know if they will be ending it with the possibility of a third series (or season if you are a yank)?

Third series has been commissioned, according to Wiki.
 ripper 03 Dec 2012
In reply to nw: Not sure why you're surprised they'd kill him. if you accept that the story so far could happen (big if, admittedly) then I'd have thought it not much of a leap to accept that elements in the intelligence community would want brody out of the way as soon as he stopped being useful. A quiet bullet and then presumably a faked accident seems to be much more realistic than taking him a congressman to court for terrorism.
Removed User 03 Dec 2012

Set me thinking after I'd posted. Quinn stabbed Brody in the hand, not the rational act of someone in that position. So, maybe all that anger towards Brody is because he has done something else in the past that we don't know of, something bad, but Quinn knows about it. A lot could be revealed in the next three episodes.

Pah, I give in.
 ripper 03 Dec 2012
In reply to Removed User: yes, seemed a bit irrational for Quinn who at that point was supposedly a desk-piloting CIA analyst. But now it looks like he's actually an experienced black-ops hitman it seems much more in character.
 andy 03 Dec 2012
In reply to ripper:
> (In reply to rocky57) yes, seemed a bit irrational for Quinn who at that point was supposedly a desk-piloting CIA analyst. But now it looks like he's actually an experienced black-ops hitman it seems much more in character.

But Carrie did say to him afterwards something along the lines of "that was all a show, wasn't it?" that suggested it was out of the CIA book of "how to get people to talk".
 ripper 03 Dec 2012
In reply to andy: ye-es, but I'm not sure all of Carrie's moves come out of the official CIA play book...
tis a bit preposterous but I still love it - the only TV show I make a date with at the moment (along with Peep Show straight afterwards of course)
 nw 03 Dec 2012
In reply to ripper:
> (In reply to nw) Not sure why you're surprised they'd kill him.
Oh i'm not surprised just wondering exactly what the motive is, as that hasn't been made clear (to me, at any rate). I can think of a number of plausible motives - assassinate him because he's dangerous, or because he's an embarrassment/propaganda disaster, or because they hate him as a traitor etc etc.
I agree, you have to skate over some silliness but after a dodgy start I'm really enjoying this season.

Styx 03 Dec 2012
Brody knows about the cover up of the drone strike ordered by the VP and Estes and has motive to expose it, hence Estes bringing in Quinn to "tidy up" any loose ends once it's all been wrapped up.

Quinn put on a show during the interrogation of Brody and stabbed him in the hand hoping it would push him in to Carrie's mother hen hands, it worked.
 nw 03 Dec 2012
In reply to Styx:
The one that killed Nazir's son? Makes sense.
 ripper 03 Dec 2012
In reply to Styx: of course - I'd forgotten Estes was in on that...
 Mike Highbury 03 Dec 2012
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax: Of course I don't know either but Quinn said earlier in the episode that, 'I (we?) kill terrorists'.

On seeing the final scene this suggested to me, at least, that Q would have killed B had Abu N been killed along with the rest of the cell; of which Q holds B to be a part. Now I imagine that Carrie will have to keep B alive and safe from the ever more dangerous Q.

Mike Highbury 03 Dec 2012
In reply to Mike Highbury: I see nw said much the same, above.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...