/ Ipod touch vs other options Im not aware of?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
goosebump - on 03 Dec 2012
Hiya,
I am finally about to have all my music in digital format and am looking at what mobile device Im best sticking it all on to. Said device will also need to be wifi enabled, such that I can buy and download music online in future (cant do this with my computer, which belogns to work).

The Ipod touch comes to mind, but I know a lot of folk who hate itunes. I have no experience of Apple stuff at all, but for the sake of balance feel I should shop about a bit before taking what appears to be the easiest option. Is iTunes so bad? Is theree any real competition for the iPod touch? Any views appreciated, since online reviews of other MP3 players are all a bit jargony without much stuff about ease/pleasure of use, longevity etc. Oh, and it really doesnt need to be a phone, or a gaming device, or have speakers.
Neil Williams - on 03 Dec 2012
In reply to goosebump:

iPod Classic? Because they are HD based (pretty robust, though) you have far more storage space. The UI isn't as good but is plenty intuitive enough.

It's what I use for music. Smartphone battery life isn't anywhere near good enough to put music on a smartphone yet, IMO.

Neil
In reply to Neil Williams:

iPod classics arent wifi though are they? So not able to access the internet and download stuff to it directly?
In reply to goosebump:

Sorry, that'll teach me to read the posting properly, no they indeed are not.

Neil

No need to apologise - thanks for reading my post in the first place and trying to help! Seems that no one else facnies adding a tuppence worth...Ill give it an hour or two then ipod touch it (probably)is....
Little Brew - on 03 Dec 2012
In reply to goosebump: iPod touch sounds about right for what you are after, i have only just got rid of my 3 year old re-furbed one as it was no longer getting used and we just bought an iPad and i have an iPhone. i font know much about other devices, but am not aware of any other wi-fi enabled alternative that is not a phone that is similar in size to the iTouch. oh and worth checking out the apple refurb site, Bottom left of the mane store page, there are some good deals on there for all apple products, when they get them back in that is.
balmybaldwin - on 03 Dec 2012
In reply to goosebump:

If I would you I would consider a low end tablet as an alternative, will play MP3s etc just as well, but be better for browsing & downloading music as you won't be restricted to itunes.

itunes itself isn't too bad, but remember that anything bought through it will not be able to be played on a future non-apple device.
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Really? itunes bought stuff wont play elsewhere (how do they do that)?! Thats probably a deal breaker for anything apple in that case. pffff.
Dom Brown - on 03 Dec 2012
In reply to goosebump: they've turned that off now you can play it on other devices.
Bobz - on 03 Dec 2012
In reply to goosebump: ive got an ipod touch, had it for 3 years, its great. get one!
can use it just like an ipad but it fits in my pocket.
wi-fi on it is grweat for downloading tunes etc, and there are plenty of apps for illegaly doing similar with youtube, iplayer etc.
for 140ish it is really good, and no bills!
In reply to goosebump:

There is plenty of software to convert AAC to MP3 if you want to. The DRMed stuff is harder, but in the end nothing to physically stop you playing it back and re-recording if you felt so inclined.

Wouldn't worry about it.

Neil
In reply to Bobz:
Ah hah! Now thats the kind of talk I like, reaffirming my own unsubstantiated view :)
In reply to Dom Brown:

Thanks for the update. Apple is back in.
In reply to Bobz:

"can use it just like an ipad"

The cynic in me has wondered how long it'll be before Apple start marketing it as an "iPad nano" to see if it gets them some extra sales.

Neil
ads.ukclimbing.com

ipad mini, out now :)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.