/ People photos and voting

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Mike Lates - on 03 Dec 2012
Does anyone else feel there is a case for voting on some shots that are placed into the People category?
There does appear to be some inconsistency; most memorably Charlie's competition winner Halcyon Days was open to voting- http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=114782

I understand why there is a non-voting section to the People category for mug shots etc but the photographer in me felt quite agrieved when this shot was "demoted" by the moderators- http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=204551

Slightly less of a case for this one- http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=209604 but, again, the photographer in me likes the mix of mountain & climber interaction in the shot. Just because Nicola hasn't got her hands clinging on desperately doesn't make it any less of an "action" photo in my mind. Would it have been "demoted" without her tongue out?
Blue Straggler - on 03 Dec 2012
In reply to Mike Lates:

I'm a bit lost in your OP. Is there a People category on the UKC galleries, that people can choose to upload their pics to, and within which no voting occurs? And does UKC sometimes move someone's upload from another category into the People category?

I don't even know what category I had put this in, maybe Winter? But it's as much a "People" shot as any of your examples, and I wouldn't give two hoots if it were shifted and I lost my score of 4!
http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=106198
Simon Caldwell - on 03 Dec 2012
In reply to Mike Lates:

It's unusual to get a photo voting thread that's complaining about the lack of a voting option on a photo!

The guidelines on the moderation page for the People category are

Group photos and photos of people in a climbing or mountaineering environment or at least linked to a UKC meet. Photos of climbers in action where the climber expression is much more significant than the route they are climbing.

When I'm moderating, the rule of thumb I use is that if a picture is only going to be of interest to those who know the person in the photo then it probably belongs in the People category. So the first you've linked to feels more like landscape, the second probably People.
Mike Lates - on 03 Dec 2012
In reply to Toreador: Ta for the insight.
I guess with the first shot I was so chuffed to get the guy in focus, background as planned, colour of the pool & nothing revealed that I did want opinions. So many of my shots are poor (because they are put up for information sake) I felt hard done by to have it moved from landscape. It took me quite a while to work out which category it had been assigned to & just thought there was an automatic "we're not having that sort of thing" designation for the mods.

There isn't an obvious "appeal" channel & I'm not fussed enough to make a song & dance but wondered if others had had the same done to a favourite shot of theirs.

Glad Halcyon Days didn't suffer the same or I might never even have got to see it let alone enjoy the best selection of comments I've known or have met Charlie & found out it wasn't a superimposed model but his wife:)
Simon Caldwell - on 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Mike Lates:
> There isn't an obvious "appeal" channel

Just edit the photo and change the category ;-)
Tom Last - on 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Toreador:
> (In reply to Mike Lates)
> [...]
>
> Just edit the photo and change the category ;-)

^^

Yeah do this. I always put my pics in 'crag shots', which are usually then re-assigned by the mods, before finally being moved back to crag shots again by me.

It would be much easier if they just introduced a no-voting option.
krikoman - on 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Toreador:
> (In reply to Mike Lates)
> [...]
>

Draw some knackers on him
Al Evans on 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Mike Lates:
> (In reply to Toreador) Ta for the insight.
> I guess with the first shot I was so chuffed to get the guy in focus, background as planned, colour of the pool & nothing revealed that I did want opinions.

But the point is that shots in any category can have comments/opinions, its just that you can be free of votes from wankers if you put them in a non voting category. I think it is important to preserve vote free categories, if you want opinions just put a note with the picture welcoming comments.
Al Evans on 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Southern Man:
> (In reply to Toreador)
> [...]
>
> ^^
>
> Yeah do this. I always put my pics in 'crag shots', which are usually then re-assigned by the mods, before finally being moved back to crag shots again by me.
>
> It would be much easier if they just introduced a no-voting option.

Agreed, and it would solve all this angst if the mods would introduce a 'votes not welcome' option in the same way as you can choose not to take comments.
Blue Straggler - on 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Al Evans:

Why not just upload rubbish pictures, then you can't be hurt when they get low votes? This seems to be what a lot of folk are doing :-)
Mike Lates - on 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Toreador:

Tried that & clever techies bounce it back to non-voting

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.