UKC

Compact Training Station

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JHammond 04 Dec 2012
Has anybody used one of these, a 'Compact Training Station' from Serious Climbing?

http://seriousclimbing.com/product/training-stations

It got reviewed in Climber mag last month and they raved about it, but I can't find any other reviews or info outside of the manufacturers website.

The price is a bit steep for what it is, but I'm more interested in whether the design actually works - is it going to play nicely braced against the door frame in a stud wall? My head says it will be fine but I'm still not convinced. Some of the weight is surely still going to be coming down on the top of the door frame?
 gav 04 Dec 2012
In reply to JHammond:
I've used a powerbar pullup bar (eg http://power-bar.co.uk/ ) which works on the same principle for hanging by the looks of it.

It seemed to cause no issues to the top architrave, however a friend who used his more extensively found it did wear grooves in the vertical architrave where the weight pushes inwards. You could probably avoid this with some extra padding, but it might change the angle of the fingerboard.

The main issue I found was the bits that hooked behind pushed in and damaged the plaster on the other side of the door, but this shouldn't be an issue here as they've used a flat bar of wood instead of two pressure points.

Hope that's of some help, if not specific first-hand experience.
OP JHammond 04 Dec 2012
In reply to gav:

Very helpful info Gav, thank you!

Some rubber strips on the appropriate parts would probably avoid damage without affecting the angle too much.

I'll mull it over. Thanks again.
 Kieran_John 04 Dec 2012
In reply to JHammond:

I built a mount for my fingerbaord that hooked on to my powerbar. The end result closely resembled this.

It worked pretty well but flexed a little too much, so I ended up scrapping it and mounting the whole thing in the garage.

This looks must more sturdy than my home made efforts, and the principle was sound, so I imagine it'll work great. The extra weight of the board, etc, didn't cause any damage to the door frame.
 Kieran_John 04 Dec 2012
In reply to JHammond: Just seen the price, that is VERY expensive!
 Murderous_Crow 05 Dec 2012
In reply to JHammond: I bought one recently. It's very good, albeit expensive. I found it easy to set up and hassle-free once built. It flexes a little, so I tested it with a spirit level - with my weight hanging off it flexes to exactly plumb vertical.

Expense = justified, IMO.
 Jason Bullen 05 Dec 2012
In reply to JHammond:
I also have one with twin boards. Beastmaker 2000 on the top and system holds on the bottom. Can't recommend it enough - albeit expensive.
 snoop6060 05 Dec 2012
In reply to JHammond:

It doesn't look that compact!

I have a board mounted on my power bar, but it flexes a bit. It folds up ok and can stored reasonably compact.

Does this fold up?

Si
OP JHammond 06 Dec 2012
In reply to JHammond: Thanks all for the input. It's buoyed me a little that those who have gone for it consider it worth the money (although if I'd spent £200 on it I couldn't face up to admitting it was rubbish!)

Illusive: I was also thinking about a Beastmaker / system hold combo also.

Si: no, doesn't fold as far as I'm aware. I'm guessing you can remove the pole to shrink it's footprint a little, but I have a convenient place I could store it so not the end of the world. It's just the price...
 Murderous_Crow 06 Dec 2012
In reply to JHammond:
> (In reply to JHammond) Thanks all for the input. It's buoyed me a little that those who have gone for it consider it worth the money (although if I'd spent £200 on it I couldn't face up to admitting it was rubbish!)
>

You asked for an opinion. If I regretted my purchase, I'd be under no obligation to share my opinion with you.

I have the twin-board option, one board is plain and houses a Beastmaker, the other is t-nutted for the system holds. This makes the most of the available space IMO with plenty of adaptability.

As I said, I feel the expense is justified. You may not.
 Flinticus 10 Dec 2012
In reply to JHammond:
Anyone who has used this training station: does it indent the door frame? (old house, don't want to damage the architraves, would be nigh impossible to repair with similarly aged wood & profile)
 Murderous_Crow 10 Dec 2012
In reply to Flinticus:

It hasn't damaged mine (newish house, crappy softwood doorframes).
 Flinticus 10 Dec 2012
In reply to Bimblefast:
Cool, just the answer I'm looking for

(have you ever noticed the 'w' in answer is silent?)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...