UKC

Upping the distance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pepperpot 04 Dec 2012
I've been running local tracks and trails three times a week for the past 5ish weeks. Each run has been 30 minutes at a fairly constant easy (60-70% Heartrate Reserve), and its been very satisfying to see the mileage and pace gradually increase as I've got fitter.

I want to continue taking things steady and just work on endurance, so I'm planning to increase the duration over the next 6-8 weeks by 10% each week with a rest week part way through. Now, here's the question...

Is it best to increase each run so that they're all more or less equal each week, so 30-30-30 then 30-30-40, then 30-40-40. Or do I increase just one so that it's 30-30-40, 30-30-50 and so on...
 steelbru 04 Dec 2012
In reply to pepperpot:
To improve best to mix your runs up, if possible try and do ;-
- one longer, slower run
- one hard run ( this could be shorter and faster, or normal distance, but a mixture of short sharp bursts with jog recoveries - fartlek if you know what that is )
- the rest steady runs
Removed User 04 Dec 2012
In reply to pepperpot:

how about..

20/30/40
22/33/44
24/36/48
20/30/40
26/38/53
and so on

I put in a pull back week every 4th week.

10% a week is quite difficult to do you may well find that 7 or 8% on average is what you'll actually achive.
 mattrm 04 Dec 2012
In reply to pepperpot:

Really, any of those approaches seems fine. Personally, I'd go for the 30-30-40 then 30-40-40 approach. Always with running, when increasing miles/distance, make sure you do it very very slowly. It's incredibly easy to injure something. Just make sure you take it easy and do what feels best / seems sensible. Assuming you're fairly new to running, it's worth pointing out that it takes a while for the body to adjust to regular running, so just keep it nice and easy. Honestly, if you're happy with 30/30/30 that's a good amount to be running, so there's no harm in just sticking to that at all, it'll get you fitter, so it's all good.
OP pepperpot 04 Dec 2012
In reply to pepperpot:

Since I've got a bit older I've started to get a bit more patient, and had wondered about increasing it by a smaller amount each week. There's no rush I suppose and as I'm enjoying it so much the last thing I want is to get an injury.

In terms of intensity I have three usual runs;

1) a loop one which is largely flat with a long section of to canal tow path
2) a linear one that is generally uphill to the turnaround point
3) a random run round a local woods which I make as hilly and as muddy as I feel like - I tend to be less rigorous with heart rate on this one and push myself when it feels good.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...