UKC

Achievements you're proud of this year?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tall Clare 04 Dec 2012
I know it's not the end of the year yet but I feel a need for some positivity on a rather dreary day.

So - what have you achieved this year that you're proud of? As big or as small an achievement as you like, climbing/work/life/other sport/creative/etc.

Over to you.
 mattrm 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Refurbishing our 3 bed, Victorian end-terrace, from no heating and ancient electrics, to 'modernised' and re-decorated, but with lots of the original features kept.

Finishing a 40 mile ultra.

Climbing three 4000ers in the summer.

It's been a hard slog, but to be honest it's been a great year.
 mrchewy 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: This could turn into a bragging fest...

Mine was during my first running race, a 112k ultra. I'd been running well, was about 50 miles in, when Tom came into a water station wrapped head to toe in every item of clothing he had on him. I offered him my walking poles as he looked in a bad way but he refused saying he wouldn't be able to keep up anyway. I was on for my 17hr target at the time but instantly, I made the decision to walk with him for as long as it took for him to feel better. We crossed the line together after 20hrs and some minutes. I didn't know Tom before the race started.

Chuffed as punch with myself for not hesitating to help Tom out and putting my own goals aside. Probably the best thing I did this year.
In reply to Tall Clare: A very small achievement; I set myself a target of writing one review a month on Amazon. Achieved as of about an hour ago.

A personal achievement: after 26 years of living together, me and my other half got married.

I'm sure there are others, but those are the first two that came to mind. One is rather more important than the other, obviously...

T.
OP Tall Clare 04 Dec 2012
In reply to mrchewy:

Nowt wrong with a bit of bragging now and again.

And I like the fact that your first running race was a 112k ultra Good work on being a good samaritan!
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

The reviews are the more important, right?
Jamming Dodger 04 Dec 2012
In reply to mrchewy: Nawwwwww, heartwarming
Id have left him behind! Awful person that I am. Id love to get into longer distance running. Maybe something to work on in 2013.
 Blue Straggler 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Making two sound mountaineering decisions - oddly one was to press on when we knew we were on the wrong line and had no idea what lay ahead, and the other was to retreat when we absolutely on the right line.

In both cases I did the right thing and I was pleased with this.

mrchewy 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: Bragging can either motivate or discourage tho - gotta get that bit right!

It's been an amazing year it really has, with loads of firsts and pretty much injury free for a change. Even better than 1984! A new 800m alpine route in the Atlas, an adventure race, daughter happy at Uni. Finally 'kissed' a goth back in February - a lifetime ambition fulfilled that one! Haha

So what's yours TC?
 toad 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: Don't know about proud, exactly. After 6 or 7 years of fannying around, false starts and interruptions, I gave up on the PhD. However in July this year, I did graduate with an MPhil, so I didn't get the speedboat, but did go home with Bully's Special Prize.
In reply to toad:

I saw a bendy Bully in a window above a shop in Skipton the other day!
In reply to Tall Clare: Lost about a stone and ran my first ten mile. Nothing by some standards here but for me a big step forward. Next year I hope to have completed my first half marathon.

Ultra? Pah!!
In reply to mrchewy:

Good question. After throwing most of my life up in the air around this time last year (redundancy, moving house to a new area, moving in with partner - and his kids, setting up a business) this year has been something of a slog, to put it mildly, and a lot of good things have fallen by the wayside. I suppose the achievements (if you can call them that) are that the business finally seems to be heading in the right direction, and I haven't killed anyone in my household yet. I think I'd underestimated a) how hard starting a business from scratch is, and b) how challenging stepfamilies can be (despite having grown up as part of one).

Not very exciting or heroic I'm afraid!

(edited for formatting)
 mrchewy 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: Maybe... but I'd say taking on someone else's kids is a far harder thing than anything I've achieved this year. Slow progress is as satisfying as achieving when you seriously think about it.
 Timmd 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:Passed pesticide spraying course, went camping with some people I barely knew to make new friends (seems to have helped), tried hard at things.

A year of growth, quite pleased with myself.
 Timmd 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:You're sewing good seed as it were, in working hard to make things good in your new situation.

In a few years you'll look back on it as worthwhile even if this one is a slog. Or maybe in one year if a few seems far away.
 Yanis Nayu 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: Reaching a reasonable level of competence in Russian.
In reply to Submit to Gravity:

Now *that's* an achievement! I did a tiny bit in high school but never pursued it. In 2013 I'd like to learn Spanish.
 mrchewy 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Jamming Dodger: Haha, I'm sure you wouldn't have.

A friend of mine suggested the Ultra, I'd never really ran at all and not much in the previous few years but it seemed like a decent challenge when I'd not long had a knee op and been told that the next one would be a replacement knee. I can honestly say, that without commiting by entering and declaring publicaly to everyone (inc here) - I'd have never got round to it. The excuses would have come too easily.

Drop the 'maybe' and just go for it - most people have no idea of what they can achieve. It's such a nice feeling to actually know what you're capable of.
 Rubbishy 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

I built a trebuchet and was able to hurl a cat the entire length of a football pitch.
 Timmd 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:Think i've learnt it's about how hard you try, not how well you do, though success is always nice.
Wonko The Sane 04 Dec 2012
In reply to John Rushby:
> (In reply to Tall Clare)
>
> I built a trebuchet and was able to hurl a cat the entire length of a football pitch.

I am totally torn in two between my love of cats and wanting to have a go myself.

To the OP...... this year, I can't think of a single thing!
 Toby S 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

I started writing again, nothing momentous just reviews and interviews for a local music website. I've been surprised by how much I've enjoyed it. Although my first interview with a 'proper' band was terrifying!

Only a hill 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
1. I took control of my writing career and published a book MY way.
2. I celebrated two years together with my lovely Hannah (and a year living together!)
In reply to Only a hill:

<like>

tony 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

I think the thing I'm most satisfied with has been supporting my partner with her running. She's better than she gives herself credit for, and I've been trying to encourage her through the year and she's been making great progress. She set herself a target of doing a 50 minute 10k before her 50th (next February), so we picked a suitable race for her, I paced her along, and she beat her target by about 2.5 minutes. Very satisfying for us both.

My own biggest achievement should have been winning our running club championship, but since all of the other contenders were either injured or had different priorities, it felt like a bit of a damp squib at the end of it. Oh well, next year ...
 ebygomm 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Installed a kitchen, including plastering walls and laying floor tiles.

Learnt to crochet (was on the to do list this year)
In reply to mrchewy: Thanks for the words of encouragement
Im already into running, so perhaps could do with joining a similar minded group for weekly jaunts.
I also want to get a 6-pack. Grrrrrrr!! (Yes, i know, very unfeminine)
 Rubbishy 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Wonko The Sane:

Ah, I neglected to mention my second greatest achievement this year

the self deploying cat parachute.....
 tony 04 Dec 2012
In reply to John Rushby:
> (In reply to Wonko The Sane)
>
> Ah, I neglected to mention my second greatest achievement this year
>
>
> the self deploying cat parachute.....

Did it work?
 mrchewy 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Jamming Dodger: I was too scared to join the local running club!

With you on the six pack thing but my love of crisps means I'm on a looser before I start. Best of luck tho! Females with six packs are VERY feminine, Factomondo.
In reply to Tall Clare:
Cooking new prawn recipes.
 Liam M 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: There are a few small things, but in contrast to the year before which had lots of crap, just being happy and confident feels great.

I feel like I've learned a lot about my running, and despite the rush to go long around me have been disciplined enough to realise it will pay off better longterm if I stick to short stuff for a while.

I've managed to both enjoy and apparently impress in the job I started late last year.

Stuff with H is going well, so it may have taken me 30years to get hold of anything concrete in my life, but I feel like onwards and upwards from here, and that often makes me a gurning lune!
 trish1968 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Leading an expedition to North Peru and bringing all students back in one piece.
 rousse 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: Just got my latest OU results - got 100% in my exam when I wasn't expecting to do that well. It was bloody hard to fit the study in around work and having a knackered back that meant sitting down was very painful. My second distinction in my Maths degree, and one step closer to actually getting a degree (dropped out of uni with debt and not much more, which brings me to...)

By the end of the year I'll be out of debt for the first time since going to university in 1991...this was my own fault (post uni) for spending beyond my means. I'm not proud of getting into debt, but I'll be very happy to be out of it!

Not much sport or climbing related, a serious back problem has put paid to that. Just started running and swimming again, first trip to the Lakes in January I hope.
In reply to mrchewy: Thanks to a great surgeon I have amazing tight abs. Just a shame theyre covered up by three inches of flab.
<puts the crisps down>
 JM 04 Dec 2012
Finishing my PhD, finishing my Post Doc and getting a new job, climbing my first f8b, climbing my first big wall in Peru and more recently publishing my first scientific paper. It has been a very varied and stressful year with many ups and downs, in which I have will have visited 7 different countries. I am hoping 2013 is more calm year!
In reply to JM:

Blimey! That's a pretty full year.
 Chris the Tall 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
I'm afraid it's all very gung-ho mountain biking

3 targets:
Complete the Kielder 100 (tick)
2500 miles of MTB for the year (35 to go)
At least 100 miles of MTB each month (on track as long as I can do another 80 this month)

Has to be said doing Kielder (100 miles of MTB in 12 hours) is something that I'll remember for some time - more to the point I enjoyed every minute of it. Well apart from the 5 minutes fixing a puncture near the end and getting devoured by midges.
 Ava Adore 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

1. Started new job and they haven't sacked me yet
2. Got up to half marathon distance and beyond (15 miles)
3. Came second in my very first bouldering comp
4. Haven't yet slit my wrists
In reply to Chris the Tall:

As someone right at the start of her MTB adventures I can only imagine these sort of distances. Hmm... new bike for christmas though... there's always next year...
In reply to Ava Adore:

I'm particularly pleased about that last one!
 jkarran 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

I had my first solo glider flight and just about bumped my sport/bouldering grades up a notch. Other than that either my memory is getting worse or I've had a pretty uneventful year.

jk
 owlart 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: Hmm, not sure. Went back to playing badminton just before the start of the year and managed to play all year without injuring my neck again. Not sure I'm any good at it, but that's another story.

Changed acquaintences into a couple of good friends on another forum, and hoping to go visit them both at some point next year.

Became a Godparent (not really an achievement, I suppose, I just had to say 'Yes'!, it's the parents' achievement having the baby in the first place!)
 Timmd 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Timmd:

> A year of growth, quite pleased with myself.

That could sound self regarding, happier with myself, that should be.
 ChrisBrooke 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: Part of me feels like 2012 was a bit of a wash out, but if I look back it's not been all bad: bought my first house, got engaged, climbed first E3, climbed the Salbit Sudgrat, wrote music for an advert that was on tv and in the cinemas, appeared in Climber mag for the third time (modelling a Haglofs jacket hahaha), just found out some of my music has been used in 'Black meat insertion' on the Hustler channel. You never know where it's going to end up sometimes!

Still, it's not felt like a particularly productive year so I'm going to be dreaming and planning big for 2013!! Hopefully the sun will shine a bit more often at the weekends.
In reply to Timmd:
> (In reply to Timmd)
>
> [...]
>
> That could sound self regarding, happier with myself, that should be.

Tim, it's fine! No need to be humble on this thread!
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

Not a big year? Wow. Particularly like the 'Black meat insertion' bit. (as it were).

I got engaged too - forgot about that - but that wasn't really anything to do with me; I just had to work out whether it was actually a proposal, and then say yes.
Wonko The Sane 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Timmd:
> (In reply to Timmd)
>
> [...]
>
> That could sound self regarding, happier with myself, that should be.

You do come across as one of the nicest, thoughtful, most unassuming kind of person.

But there really isn't anything wrong with a little self regard occasionally!
 Timmd 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: & Wonko The Sane.

Aw, thanks, i'm finger-tied*.

*Keyboard version of tounge-tied.

dunk5823 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: Small gains this year, have now change the direction my life was going in. Looking forward to a new career next year after completing the required courses.
Nearly back to hill fitness after a very trying 2 year recovery process.
 ChrisBrooke 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: That's one of the ones I felt I could get away with writing on UKC. Some of the other titles would really make you blush Well, they made me giggle. Can't wait for my PRS statement.
 Rubbishy 04 Dec 2012
In reply to tony:
> (In reply to John Rushby)
> [...]
>
> Did it work?

We reached an acceptable attrition rate.

still some fine tuning to do.
 the sheep 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
Mostly work related for me, was promoted to technical manager for my department in the university as well as putting out a first authorship paper and a second as a co-author. My contribution to the second publication made it into the national and international press. Also finished my part time study for an M.Phil which after viva i passed with distinction.
On the family front i have had the joy of watching my three little girls grow another year blossoming into perfect little darlings. We also met Jade Jones at her training camp before the Olympics so my eldest has a photo taken with her and her autograph and was so chuffed when she went on to win gold.
On the slightly darker side but improving after having had an op for prostate cancer at the beginning of the year my father in law nearly bled out in A&E a month later and was fitted with two "bags". Thankfully he has recovered well and had the illiostomy reversed yesterday and is recovering well.

owlart 04 Dec 2012
In reply to ChrisBrooke: Can you say what the TV advert was?
Clauso 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Back in March, I managed to produce a bogie that was very nearly the size of a grape. I narrowly missed out on a place on Jeremy Kyle with that one. I was willing to take the DNA test and everything... Also, I completed the quick crossword in The Sun without any assistance.

Punched 38 cows and nutted a llama.
 Steve John B 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Wonko The Sane:
> (In reply to Timmd)
> [...]
>
> You do come across as one of the nicest, thoughtful, most unassuming kind of person.
>
> But there really isn't anything wrong with a little self regard occasionally!

tee hee

This year's bestest achievement is changing how I perceive and hence act upon other people's behaviour i.e. being less of an asshole (in real life rather than on here, obviously). Not sure 'proud' is the word I'd use, more relieved or 'whytheheckdidn'tyoudothatbeforeyoudiv'.
 ChrisBrooke 04 Dec 2012
In reply to owlart:
> (In reply to ChrisBrooke) Can you say what the TV advert was?

For Berghaus funnily enough. youtube.com/watch?v=EdM9HO1I8VE&
 johncook 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: This time last year I was living in America. My marriage had failed, and she had left me with enormous debts (some run up in my name without my knowledge, bloody internet loans and credit cards), my work permit had expired, as had my visa (Both dependent on her job!) I was down to my last few hundred dollars of ready cash, so I decided to return to the UK. I have negotiated away most of the debt, am still unemployed and the Job centre, to reduce the number of unemployed transferred me to Pension credits. I have climbed all year since arriving home home last December.
Now for it; My greatest achievement this year. I have survived 11 months of living in Rotherham!
 owlart 04 Dec 2012
In reply to ChrisBrooke: Nice one! (Can't get YouTube here, will look tonight though).
 Chris the Tall 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to Chris the Tall)
>
> As someone right at the start of her MTB adventures I can only imagine these sort of distances. Hmm... new bike for christmas though... there's always next year...

It was getting a new bike this time 4 years ago that dramatically changed me....#midlifecrisis
Pinged 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

I went to the cafe at Outside in hathersage and made do with 6 item breakfast instead of the 10!

In reply to Chris the Tall:

I'm now googling the Mary Townley Loop
 Frank4short 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Got married, see that as more of a milestone than an achievement mind.
Have started back in college and have completed 7 management accountancy exams in the last year. Just need to wait till January to get the results back from the last 3.
In reply to John Rushby: Can i borrow your cat parachute, i'm thinking of my remote control helicopter with a cat harness underneath it. I was going to rely on my bouldering mat but i'm sure Tibbles would appreciate a parachute.
 climbingpixie 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

I've had a great year. I've thrived in a manic work environment and, despite feeling like I couldn't handle the pressure many times, have actually become a much more confident and self-assured person and much better at my job. I've also worked out what I want to do with my career and started to put things in place to get there.

Climbing wise I've managed to climb virtually every weekend (bar one with a really bad cold) since mid-June. I've learnt to jam, and to love jamming, and faced my demons getting onto routes not in my style (Suicide Wall at Cratcliffe for example).The route I'm probably proudest of though was getting on Red Wall at Gogarth and cruising it, spending considerably less time faffing around and getting scared than I had done on bloody F Route on Gimmer!

I managed to get round the medium route on the White Rose Classic sportive, only 86 miles but further than I'd ever ridden before and with some decent hills.

I've lost a stone in the last 6 months and it seems to be staying off. This is helping an enormous amount with my climbing generally - turns out that being less of a fattie makes steep stuff much easier!

And I knitted an amazing cardigan.
 nniff 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Got into road biking and started cycling home from work about once a week (62.5km).

Put together a piece of business that saved 10 people's jobs and kept them secure for at least the next two years.

Did the OMM again (probably my last - see next item)

Didn't cry when they scraped the remains of the inside of my knee out yesterday.
mountainsheep 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

cycled 2,500km across europe.

got a first in first year of uni.

Put on 6kg (actually really happy about this)
 lost1977 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

acknowledged my hearing was going after years of covering it up, waiting for the MRI on the 27th and hearing aid fitting
 Hairy Pete 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: I've been following Mr Toad's example and dicking around with a PhD for the past 6-7 years. In July I got a bit of wake-up call which snapped me out of years of increasing depression. Managed to reboot the PhD for one last death or glory attempt at completion. Not exactly proud of it but it is one achievement which has/will hopefully turned my life around.
 Denni 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Continuing to be a good stay at home dad and having people tell me I'm doing a good job raising my daughter. (so far!)
Talius Brute 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Went to Iran and wandered up Damavand; got back with ex GF who I missed terribly; got new job which has turned out really well.
 Mooncat 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

You just made me realise what a yawning chasm of mediocrity the last couple of years has been. I suppose the only thing of note was getting a new hip without crying.
 Axel Smeets 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Not a lot and the few things I am proud of are all work related.... Which is a pretty sorry state of affairs.
 Caralynh 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Registering as a Paramedic after 5yrs in the ambulance service
Adopting a gorgeous rescue cat
Marrying my climbing partner! (OK, lots more to it than that!)
In reply to Tall Clare:

Got a finite Erdos number (6).

Everything else I've done this year pales into insignificance.
 mrchewy 04 Dec 2012
In reply to victim of mathematics: Nice work!
 Timmd 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Mooncat:
>
> You just made me realise what a yawning chasm of mediocrity the last couple of years has been. I suppose the only thing of note was getting a new hip without crying.

I read today how somebody at the same primary school I went to has been jailed for 27 years for murder at the age of 32, he stabbed somebody through the heart.

It's only a couple of years Mr Mooncat. ()
In reply to Mooncat:

Aargh - the intention wasn't to make anyone feel bad! I've had a pretty lacklustre year really. More stress than cheer, anyway.
In reply to mrchewy:

Just need to work on the Bacon & Sabbath numbers now to join Brian May, Richard Feynmann, Natalie Portman and Buzz Aldrin at the centre of the universe...
In reply to Tall Clare:

Well, as you probably realise, Clare, I'm feeling v cheerful, because I'm happier about my main achievement this year than anything I've done for 18 years. Bit too coy to mention it by name, but it's been feverishly exciting )
 Timmd 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to Mooncat)
>
> Aargh - the intention wasn't to make anyone feel bad! I've had a pretty lacklustre year really. More stress than cheer, anyway.

Because my birthday is in March I cheat a bit at Xmas and decide the year ends at my birthday, on the theory that i'm always 3 months behiend if I count Xmas as the end.

Some more time to squeeze things into. Self deception is great... ()
 mrchewy 04 Dec 2012
In reply to victim of mathematics: Don't forget Dio!
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Coy? Hah!

A most understandably proud achievement.
In reply to Tall Clare:

Thanks Clare. I'm feeling sooooooooooooo coy !!
 Mooncat 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to Mooncat)
>
> Aargh - the intention wasn't to make anyone feel bad! I've had a pretty lacklustre year really. More stress than cheer, anyway.

No, I don't feel bad, anyway just remembered something, I had 2 100+ breaks at snooker 25 years after my last one.

Timmd 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Gordon Stainforthitto what Clare said.
 Gudrun 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

I did a shit on,was it the 23rd? no wait it was the 24th of March this year.
No hang on it was the 23rd because that was a Friday and i was due to sit an exam that day.Yes the 23rd of March und i had one of those uncertain mornings where you believe"oh ineed to shit but then its gne and then a terrible feeling but then you forget so you get ready with an obscure feelinhg of dread.All the while and before you leave you get a push that tells you..a shit!"oh no and need to catch the bus but i don't want to have to go shit on the bus so better go see".Expectation followed by anticipation then trepidation but nothing.Desperation and exasperation but then ..some light at the end of tunnel as a sudden dramatic release expels the big shit from my arse and i am free yes free to be me!Thank god! i have never felt happier this year.
In reply to GudrunEnsslin:

Just to clarify - you have shat *since* the 23rd March, right? That was just a particularly memorable one?

I say 'just' - that makes it sound as if I'm trivialising your experience, for which I apologise.

Gudrun 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to GudrunEnsslin)
>
> Just to clarify - you have shat *since* the 23rd March, right? That was just a particularly memorable one?

Yes you are correct shit every day.
 Blue Straggler 05 Dec 2012
> [...]
>
> Yes you are correct shit every day.

Shit? In the singular? I have about four before elevenses. Which I believe to be healthy and normal.
 Gudrun 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Compared to me ,how do they say you seem to have a lot of shit in you.
 Dauphin 05 Dec 2012

Jobby, perchance?

D

Gudrun 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Dauphin:

At the moment i have a jobby yes tank you.

and smile and winks back.
 Blue Straggler 05 Dec 2012
> (In reply to Blue Straggler)
>
> how do they say you seem to have a lot of shit in you.

they say it like this:
"you seem to have a lot of shit in you"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...