UKC

Is the CIC hut an unecessary appendage on Ben Nevis?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 climber123 04 Dec 2012
Considering the ease by which Ben Nevis can be reached, the necessity for a hut 600m up the mountain is unnecessary. Many serious climbers start their routes while some of the guests in the hut are still sleeping.
 mike123 04 Dec 2012
In reply to climber123: defintely joy division.but only the first album. new order were rubbish
OP climber123 04 Dec 2012
In reply to mike123: Joy division?
Removed User 04 Dec 2012
In reply to climber123:

Hmm, you know I knew there was something missing from the forums this winter and of course we haven't had the annual "let's nuke the CIC hut" thread. Congratulations.

Many serious climbers stay in the hut as well.

Should everything that is not strictly necessary in the hills be removed? If that's the case why not start a thread asking why we don't ask for the abomination on the top of Snowdon to be removed?
In reply to Removed User:

I think its great, it marks the passing of the seasons, like the leaves falling shows us its autumn... We have the first dry tooling flame war thread, the 'is kinder downfall in nick yet' thread, and the 'should the CIC be bulldozed' thread to tell us winter is here.

Cheers

Gregor
Graeme G 04 Dec 2012
In reply to climber123:

I have a house in Fort William which makes getting to Ben Nevis quite easy. I suppose you want that bulldozed as well?
Removed User 04 Dec 2012
In reply to mike123:
> (In reply to climber123)
> youtube.com/watch?v=Kpa9LtunUcg&

Cheers for that, did you see Control? I thought it was excellent.
 Camm 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:
hahahahaha
 paul-1970 04 Dec 2012
In reply to climber123:
Can I be the first person to utter the phrase "braying Geoffreys" on this month's CIC hut thread, please?

I always look out for the CIC threads to see who mentions 'them' first.
 Stone Muppet 04 Dec 2012
I think the UKC admins must start these threads under pseudonyms to keep forum traffic up.
 3leggeddog 04 Dec 2012
In reply to mike123:

Mike, if you have the time tonight, give us a ring please. Need some of your sage advice
 paul-1970 04 Dec 2012
In reply to climber123:
Has anyone ever seen this video before? youtube.com/watch?v=tgO4Gd4RhvM& ?

Wesley Orvis 04 Dec 2012
In reply to climber123:

If they aren't going ro bulldoze it, they should make it mandatory that all bierdys must be clean shaven on arrival.
Graeme G 04 Dec 2012
In reply to paul-1970:

That made me feel sick, thanks.......
 MJ 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Wesley Orvis:

they should make it mandatory that all bierdys must be clean shaven on arrival.

Are 'bierdys', birds with beards? If so, I'm in total agreement. Nothing worse than a bird with a beard.
 nufkin 04 Dec 2012
In reply to MJ:
> (In reply to Wesley Orvis)
> Nothing worse than a bird with a beard.

Nonsense. Gives you something to hang on to during turbulence.
 mike123 05 Dec 2012
In reply to climber123: mind you quite like this cover version, but suppose its really a JD song , so that defeats my own argument

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=6xliP7OdBtM
 d_b 05 Dec 2012
> (In reply to Removed Userclimber123)
>
> Hmm, you know I knew there was something missing from the forums this winter and of course we haven't had the annual "let's nuke the CIC hut" thread. Congratulations.

FOR: Only posh people stay there, and oppress the poor working class climbers who don't know how to phone up and book.

AGAINST: Nuking tends to leave a variety of unpleasant radioisotopes scattered over the landscape nearby. This sort of sterilisation has been unnecessary since the closure of Ben Fong.

Did I miss anything?

GrahamD 05 Dec 2012
In reply to climber123:

You are right. Its uneccessary and one would hope that these days another one wouldn't be built (ha, ha, see Cairngorm railway). But its there so you may as well make use of it.
 Stone Muppet 05 Dec 2012
it's far from unnecessary, it's actually a vital first step in a plan that will hopefully culminate in a snowdome style structure over the entire north face thus guaranteeing good conditions year round with the electricity for cooling coming from wind turbines spread through the rest of the highlands which face it you wouldn't visit anyway so long as entry for the bendome was competitively priced
 Loughan 05 Dec 2012
In reply to MJ:
> (In reply to Wesley Orvis)
>
> they should make it mandatory that all bierdys must be clean shaven on arrival.
>
> Are 'bierdys', birds with beards? If so, I'm in total agreement. Nothing worse than a bird with a beard.

brilliant, the tears of laughter.
The CIC hut is the just the type of place that attracts beardy burdies, another reason for demolition.
drmarten 05 Dec 2012
In reply to climber123:
I've always wondered if I could wear a mustard coloured shirt like Ian Curtis did, of course I could wear it but would it *pass*. Such things occupy my evening as I walk up to the CIC hut thinking about the serious climbers eating their steaks down in Fort William in preparation to show me up the following morning. I tend to rise about 11am before heading up Ledge Route and aim to top out at some time before 9pm, as it is dark and scary I usually get the helicopter back down.

I used to be envious of the occupants of the CIC, I contacted the custodian and managed to get a booking. It's not that difficult, I'm not rich, I'm not called Tarquin and I don't have a beard.
 nufkin 05 Dec 2012
In reply to drmarten:
> I used to be envious of the occupants of the CIC,

Same here - I thought it was for lazy softies who couldn't do the walk in every morning for a week.
Then I stayed in it, and decided it was an indispensible resource for those desiring to maximise their climbing to walking ratio.

Also I note that young Master Boswell and compatriots are users, so it must be okay.
 Richard Baynes 05 Dec 2012
In reply to mike123:
> youtube.com/watch?v=Kpa9LtunUcg&

Yep, good that.
 Chad123 05 Dec 2012
In reply to climber123: having stayed there for the first time in late may this year I have to say how cool it was to wake up, have breakfast and walk 15 mins in the sunshine to climb Torro, surely a definitive Scottish climbing experience?
 mockerkin 05 Dec 2012
> (In reply to Removed Userclimber123)
>
why we don't ask for the abomination on the top of Snowdon to be removed?
There are no abominal snowmen on Snowdon.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...