/ Life of Pi film

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Wonko The Sane - on 05 Dec 2012
Anyone else really looking forward to this film, or are you giving it a wide berth thinking it won't live up to the book?

I think the clips look great.
Robert Durran - on 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Wonko The Sane:
> Anyone else really looking forward to this film, or are you giving it a wide berth thinking it won't live up to the book?

Well it could hardly be worse.
Kemics - on 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Wonko The Sane:

seems like a terrible candidate to get made into a film. It's all about an internal journey as much as a physical one. I guess you could narrate it, but I dont see how it will work?
Wonko The Sane - on 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Robert Durran:
> (In reply to Wonko The Sane)
> [...]
>
> Well it could hardly be worse.

Funny what grabs and what doesn't. I loved it.
I like a lot of Gabriel Garcia Marquez and while Life of Pi isn't really about animals realism, it shares some similarities as to how people are represented by the animals. It takes you away from focusing on the actual people AS people and more on their character and make up.
Blue Straggler - on 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Wonko The Sane:
> Life of Pi isn't really about animals realism,

is that why the CGI looks appalling - is it a style decision to make it "otherwordly"?
Wonko The Sane - on 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to Wonko The Sane)
> [...]
>
> is that why the CGI looks appalling - is it a style decision to make it "otherwordly"?

Yes, I think it is a style decision. To take it into fantasy. It IS in 3d, so I am reserving judgement until I see it..... in 3d.


I'm hoping it will be as good a film conversion as Fear and Loathing was. I had NO hope for that film and came away very happy with it.
Ava Adore - on 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Wonko The Sane:

The book left me cold. It's a fascinating situation but frankly worthy only of a good short story not a whole novel. I have no urge to see this.
Fume Troll on 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Wonko The Sane: are you giving it a wide berth thinking it won't live up to the book?

More concerned that it will.

Cheers,

FT.

remus - on 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Wonko The Sane: Im fairly sceptical but Ebert seems to think the film is pretty good so I'll take a chance on it.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2012/11/his_eyes_are_on_the_tiger.html
Robert Durran - on 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Wonko The Sane:
> Funny what grabs and what doesn't. I loved it.

The book seemd to be saying "The world would be a more interesting place if God existed/religion make sense. Therefore you should believe in God/practise religion".

(A) I disagree with the first sentence.
(B) The second sentence does not follow from the first (wishful thinking will not wish god into existence)

I therefore found ther book very irritating.


Wonko The Sane - on 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Robert Durran:
> (In reply to Wonko The Sane)
> [...]
>
> The book seemd to be saying "The world would be a more interesting place if God existed/religion make sense. Therefore you should believe in God/practise religion".
>
> (A) I disagree with the first sentence.
> (B) The second sentence does not follow from the first (wishful thinking will not wish god into existence)
>
> I therefore found ther book very irritating.


To some extent I agree. And odd though it may be for an atheist such as myself, when I read fiction, it's often the story, the metaphor or the description which 'grabs' me. I've read many things I completely disagree with but enjoyed nonetheless. You just kind of have to not make it all about what you agree with. If that makes sense.

It's alos about insights into people. Quite often, people I would not be able to understand in real life because their thoughts are so alien to me.
But a fuictional book can reel me in with it's story and give me a window on their thinking.

You kind of get the picture I hope, despite my rambling and imprecise explanation!
Robert Durran - on 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Wonko The Sane:
> (In reply to Robert Durran)
>
> To some extent I agree. And odd though it may be for an atheist such as myself, when I read fiction, it's often the story, the metaphor or the description which 'grabs' me.

I had no problem with the unrealistic animal stuff, and was hoping for an interesting unfolding later in the book. So I suppose I was just disappointed to be left with nothing more than religious inanity.
Wonko The Sane - on 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Robert Durran:
> (In reply to Wonko The Sane)
> [...]
>
> I had no problem with the unrealistic animal stuff, and was hoping for an interesting unfolding later in the book. So I suppose I was just disappointed to be left with nothing more than religious inanity.

Part of life. Not MY life, or yours by the sound of it.
But then even atheists are different!
I love It's a Wondeful Life, for instance. It's required viewing at Christmas. Sentimental, religious tosh and I LOVE it.

But then I was recently accused of wanting to live a life like the Walton family. And it isn't untrue. Except the church bit.
Jonny2vests - on 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Ava Adore:
> (In reply to Wonko The Sane)
>
> The book left me cold.

Are we talking about the same book? I can't wait to see the film.
Enty - on 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Robert Durran:
> (In reply to Wonko The Sane)
> [...]
>
> Well it could hardly be worse.

This ^^^

E
Robert Durran - on 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Wonko The Sane:
> (In reply to Robert Durran)
> I love It's a Wondeful Life, for instance. It's required viewing at Christmas. Sentimental, religious tosh and I LOVE it.

And I like a lot of religious architecture, music (not, of course the crappy happy clappy stuff) and art if I can interpret the religious superficiality as stemming from something deeper and human. But the book just didn't do this for me. Each to their own tastes though.....
Bjartur i Sumarhus on 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Wonko The Sane: I'm with you here. I'm not religious but one of my favourite ever reads was Quo Vadis? which is a huge advert for Christianity
Robert Durran - on 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Game of Conkers:
> (In reply to Wonko The Sane) I'm with you here. I'm not religious but one of my favourite ever reads was Quo Vadis? which is a huge advert for Christianity.

There's some thumping good pro-Christian stuff in the bible (King james version) too.

Wonko The Sane - on 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Robert Durran: Ok, stop it now. I don't want tim or coel to get a smell of this, or 2400 posts later I'll still be wondering who likes the book/film.
Mark Reeves - on 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Wonko The Sane: All but the final chapter of the book were so, so. However, I can read the final chapter over and over. As it is a final great conclusion to an otherwise standard book.
Robert Durran - on 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Mark Reeves:
> (In reply to Wonko The Sane) All but the final chapter of the book were so, so.

I think I'd lost interest by then after all the bollocks about the weird island. Might have another look.
Tom Last - on 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to Robert Durran)
> [...]
>
> This ^^^
>
> E

Me too.

I'd bought it for a gift for someone before I ever read it. Embarassing.
kevin stephens - on 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Southern Man: I really enjoyed the book, having seen the previews I think the film will be good, I may not watch it but many folk who do wouldn't have read the book, I expect their opinions will be as polarised as those on this thread.
Wonko The Sane - on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to Wonko The Sane: Ok, I've just seen it.

It's difficult to just say 'go see it' because people will come away from the book with different ideas of what any film should be, so it's going to be personal as to whether you like it or not.

But it is pretty faithful to the book.
Cinematography is VERY good with a few very minor exceptions in a few of the life boat scenes. But the CGI is seamless.... possibly because you're abosrbed in the story. Possibly because it's the emaciated tiger that gets the most CGI shots. The 3D is about the best I've seen of any film.
I won't comment on the storyline, which you'll know already except to say I'm an atheist and still enjoyed the story. Some people say it's too overtly religious. I see it more as a window into the mind of someone who looks at the world differently, partly through character and partly because he went through something which made him act against his principles and he finds it easier to accept the story himself in his own way and by externalising his 'badness' feels more able to continue being 'himself' after.
Anyhoo. I say 'Go see it' if you're a fan of the book.
MJ - on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to Wonko The Sane:

The 3D is about the best I've seen of any film.

Did you watch it in normal 3D or in 3.142?
Wonko The Sane - on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to MJ:
> (In reply to Wonko The Sane)
>
> The 3D is about the best I've seen of any film.
>
> Did you watch it in normal 3D or in 3.142?

Just glad i saw the film before that joke. Hard to see through tears of despair ;)
Robert Durran - on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to Wonko The Sane:
>
> Just glad i saw the film before that joke. Hard to see through tears of despair ;)

But of all the disappointing and irritating things about the book, the greatest was that it turned out to have nothing at all to do with the wonders of mathematics.

The Pylon King on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to Wonko The Sane:

I liked 'The Life of Brian'

is it anything like that?
Wonko The Sane - on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to Mr Mark Stephen Davies:
> (In reply to Wonko The Sane)
>
> I liked 'The Life of Brian'
>
> is it anything like that?

So similar that I'm amazed there isn't a court case over it ;)
stroppygob - on 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Wonko The Sane: saw the trailer for Pi while at the cinema to see "The Intoucables".

Looks like a load of old bollocks.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.