UKC

Pegging out tents in winter conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Flatus Vetus 06 Dec 2012
What are your prefered type of tent pegs for snow/frozen ground conditions?
 earlsdonwhu 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Flatus Vetus: Snow...use snow-filled buried plastic bags.
Or.... clove hitch to middle of tent peg and bury on its side. Stamp it all down.

Bare glacier... an ice screw or two.

Frozen ground use rocks.
 jon 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Flatus Vetus:

6" nails in frozen ground.
 MikeLell 06 Dec 2012
In reply to jon: like
 ballsac 07 Dec 2012

the 'V' shaped jobs. if its proper freezing i put a bit of water over the peg so it freezes into the ground - but rocks and bags of snow will do a better job than pegs in snow, especially if the snows a bit sloppy.
 Monk 07 Dec 2012
In reply to ballsac:

The problem I've had with rocks on guys is that in high winds you can get a sawing action which wears through the guyline.
ice.solo 07 Dec 2012

tie to little rock, big rock on top of cord.

im lazy, so minimizes messing about with the big rocks.
In reply to Monk:

ballsac....rocks on guys.....fnarr

Take a few loooooong lengths of accessory cord - it gives you more flexibility of using natural features (aka big rocks) to guy to

I often tie the guy line/cord around a smaller rock, drop it in a hole, stick a bigger rock on top and then pack the snow back down. Never fun getting it back out the next morning though, so only really an option when you really need it.

If using bags of snow, and your bags aren't very strong (i.e. carrier bags) tie the guy line/cord around the whole bag rather than the handles and then bury the bag in a hole. Again, nightmare to get out in the morning, but good for when it's blowing a hoolie.

martinph78 07 Dec 2012
In reply to Flatus Vetus: Ice axe into the wind and rocks as described above. Not had the sawing action myself, and used rocks for pegging out a tent a lot (not just in freezing conditions).

Dry bags full of snow or rocks works as well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...