UKC

climb/ski

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jolly 08 Dec 2012
Can i use my scarpa alpha b3 boots with Fritschi Swiss ski touring skis. for Lakes/scotland approaches and descents or would i be better with a ski boot that i could climb in as im after a cheap way to start touring.

thanks.
 Andes 09 Dec 2012
In reply to jolly:
Much easier to ski in a climbing boot than the other way round. I know from experience. So if the main focus of the day is climbing and you just want to use the skis for a fun approach use a climbing boot.
As far as fit goes it is very hit and miss. I've three different pairs of Diamirs (Mark I, Mark II and Eagles) and two different pairs of climbing boots (Sportiva Nepals and a Salomon B2 boot)that fit some but not all of them! You just have to try it out.
...and ski with consideration as I'm not always convinced the release is going to be as smooth.
John
 Andes 09 Dec 2012
In reply to jolly:
Ski boots are OK to climb with on straightforward straight up ice/snow (to grade III say), but are hard work to use on any kind of mixed terrain.
 Si Witcher 09 Dec 2012
In reply to Andes:

I disagree. Thousands of ski-mountaineers aren't wrong. I've done mixed climbs in light touring boots (Scarpa Spirit?) fine, up to Scottish Vish at the back of the Argentiere glacier. Climbing boots are hopeless for providing any control while skiing - that's why 99% of ski-mountaineers wear touring boots. If you want to climb cutting edge routes, then just carry your climbing boots in your sac. Experiment with both options and see which you prefer, pref before you commit
 Si Witcher 09 Dec 2012
In reply to switch:

It also depends on whether you're a competent skier and/or climber using ideal kit, before you try using the wrong kit!
 Edradour 09 Dec 2012
In reply to switch:

I agree. I have heard very few people advocate skiing in a climbing boot rather than the other way round. I have never tried skiing in climbing boots but have done a fair bit of mountaineering in ski boots and never had any issues (upto to AD+ / WV type grades).
 Doug 09 Dec 2012
In reply to Fickalli: I've done both, & unless the climbing was difficult mixed (or maybe rock, but then a pair of rock shoes weights little) I'd prefer the ski boots & judging by comments on the innumerable threads here about the topic, plus what I see on peoples feet, I seem to be in the majority

But both approaches can work & it probably comes down to personnel preference
OP jolly 09 Dec 2012
In reply to Andes: Thanks for your reply.
OP jolly 09 Dec 2012
In reply to Andes: Nice one.
OP jolly 09 Dec 2012
In reply to switch: Thanks, I have done some skiing but not lots. I used to rollerskate to a good level some years back that might help me or might not just fancy giving it ago, iv taught myself to lead up to grade 5+ ice in the past. nice one
OP jolly 09 Dec 2012
In reply to Fickalli: Thankyou i might try with my plastic scarpa's for now and see how i go. cheers for your comment.
OP jolly 09 Dec 2012
In reply to Doug: thank you.
In reply to Andes:
> (In reply to jolly)
> Much easier to ski in a climbing boot than the other way round.

I don't doubt that that is your experience of it, but that is a very rare view!

To jolly - this topic is regualrly explored on UKC. Consensus is that skiing in climbing boots on anything other than a very gentle incline is exceptionally challenging, and more importantly, a good way to do yourself a really nasty injury. Ski boots offer great stability for climbing but they are a bit heavier. If I wanted to do any downhill skiing in a climbing/skiing day, I'd opt for ski boots every time.

Your other option is to take a mini ski (Rossignol Ventura 99cm) that fits walking/climbing boots well for UPHILL skinning/snowshoeing, but lethal on DOWNHILL.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...