UKC

re marking middle of rope

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
deleted user 09 Dec 2012
Just wondering what the safest way to re mark the middle of the rope is..?
 Boogs 09 Dec 2012
In reply to samsimpson:

http://www.mytendon.com/rope-marker or one of many others available , I would suggest . hope that helps , stay safe .
deleted user 09 Dec 2012
In reply to boogie man: cheers
 lost1977 09 Dec 2012
In reply to samsimpson:

i just used some finger tape
 dan bulman 09 Dec 2012
i did that but it got jammed on the tape on an abseil.
can a marker pen not be used?
In reply to dan bulman:

http://www.coleparmer.com/Chemical-Resistance

Cross reference Nylon and Xylene (common in marker pens).
 Owen W-G 09 Dec 2012
In reply to samsimpson:

Best way is to take it to the shop at your local climbing wall and persuading them to do it, saving the price of a marker you'll only use once
 Paul Hy 09 Dec 2012
In reply to samsimpson: i've used 10mm finger tape a couple of times.
deleted user 09 Dec 2012
In reply to Owen W-G: Like it!
 3leggeddog 09 Dec 2012
In reply to samsimpson:

A small nick with a razor blade
 JoshOvki 09 Dec 2012
In reply to Owen W-G:

Do most climbing walls mark the middle of their ropes?
needvert 10 Dec 2012
In reply to samsimpson:

I have some beal rope marker. Is pretty handy for marking anything. Is cheap enough.

If I recall, UIAA paper suggested against marker pen, but also that some rope specific markers can also reduce strength.

Changing sheath pattern halfway is pretty neat.
 CurlyStevo 10 Dec 2012
In reply to needvert:

Yeah I can't find the original article, but it was a bit vague. It didn't actually confirm it was always safe to use the manufacturers marker on their ropes, but did suggest this should be OK. It definitely warned against using ANY marker including specific rope markers on ropes made by other manufacturers as problems were found.

jonnie3430 10 Dec 2012
In reply to needvert:
> (In reply to samsimpson)
>
> I have some beal rope marker. Is pretty handy for marking anything.

I find that this stuff makes the rope more rigid and I know when the middle has been reached as the rope jams in the belay plate. I'd recommend a wrap of finger tape.
 Jamie B 10 Dec 2012
In reply to JoshOvki:

> Do most climbing walls mark the middle of their ropes?

Pretty sure that most don't. Also pretty sure that most of them, whilst happy to mark a rope as an occasional favour, would get pretty hacked off if this became the norm.

GrahamD 10 Dec 2012
In reply to samsimpson:

I don't understand why people don't just use clothes dye.
 John Kelly 10 Dec 2012
In reply to jonnie3430:
> (In reply to needvert)
> [...]
>
> I find that this stuff makes the rope more rigid and I know when the middle has been reached as the rope jams in the belay plate. I'd recommend a wrap of finger tape.

i also found that it makes the rope stiffer - jams in belay plates- i would not use again
 riddle 10 Dec 2012
In reply to samsimpson: Beetroot juice?
 CurlyStevo 10 Dec 2012
In reply to John Kelly:
I used the pen made by tendon on my mammut ropes. I did it before reading the UIAA article and it hasn't worried me that much. I'll probably die.
 tlm 10 Dec 2012
In reply to 3leggeddog:
> (In reply to samsimpson)
>
> A small nick with a razor blade

Ha ha - this was one of the first posts I ever read about climbing, on rec.climbing newsgroup (uk.rec.climbing hadn't been invented at that point, let alone web forums or ukc). I thought it was SO irresponsible! :-0

Those were the days, my friend.

jwa 10 Dec 2012
In reply to jonnie3430:
> I find that this stuff makes the rope more rigid and I know when the middle has been reached as the rope jams in the belay plate. I'd recommend a wrap of finger tape.

Because finger tape doesn't jam in the belay plate?
 daWalt 10 Dec 2012
In reply to samsimpson:
I'v used the Beal rope marker ink.
It's a weird powdery pigment type stuff. Initially once it's dryed on, it does make the rope very stiff.
But this loosens up considerably with just a couple of uses, and leavs it only slightly stiffer than normal. You notice it, but in my experience nothing that would jam a rope.
 daWalt 10 Dec 2012
In reply to daWalt:
> nothing that would jam a rope.
Obviously that might depend on the size of middle mark you've painted on

jonnie3430 10 Dec 2012
In reply to daWalt:

In my experience it causes sticking a year and a half after using it! I wouldn't do it again, preferring to use finger tape.

I don't find finger tape jams in the belay plate, it is easier to spot on a rope when the rope is dirty, icy or wet. It does roll off after a while, but is easy to replace. (It depends on how much tape you use too, a thick bit jams more, a thin bit comes off easier. Happy compromise for the win!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...