UKC

Loops similar to Mary Towneley Loop?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tall Clare 10 Dec 2012
Hello all,

I know little about these things, so it's once more over to the UKC hive mind.

I'm looking for a reasonable length, not too technical loop that can be done in a day (preferably under 12 hours!) on a mountain bike. The Mary Towneley Loop was the first to spring to mind, but what others are out there? I'll go off and do some proper research but you knowledgeable people are a good first port of call.

Oh, and preferably with a starting point within a couple of hours of Skipton.

Thanks in advance!
 balmybaldwin 10 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

What area are you after? There's some good ones in the white and dark peak guides that can be strung together with a little bit of road in between.

If you want further a field, something like The GAP in the Brecon Beacons (28 Miles) is not too technical apart from the GAP itself (which could be walked if you don't fancy it).
OP Tall Clare 10 Dec 2012
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Ah, sorry, should have said - Skipton's in the Yorkshire Dales, so a couple of hours from there ideally.

Looking for something a bit longer than 28 miles - I think MTL is 47.
 ebygomm 10 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: There is a loop you can do from Buxton which takes in the monsal trail and the high peak trail. About 60 miles but v. non technical riding (maybe too little?)
 climbingpixie 10 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Do you have the VG Yorkshire Dales MTB guide? There's some good loops in there, most of them are a bit shorter than what you're after but it gives suggestions of how to link them together. For example, there's a brilliant 43km loop from Ingleton (the Tour d'Ingleborough) with loads of lovely riding that can also be linked into various other loops in the same general area to give you the sort of distance you're after.
 balmybaldwin 10 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

This could be helpful then: http://www.mtbroutefinder.co.uk/
In reply to climbingpixie:

I do, and I also have the Lake District one that has some longer outings. I'll have a look at them later - this was just a 'sitting at my computer' spontaneous post
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Thanks for that - I'll bookmark it.
Rigid Raider 10 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Er... don't you own a map of your area?
 Pagan 10 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

The killer loops from the VG Dales guide are excellent - the second one round Appletreewick/Pateley/Scarhouse is long but non-technical apart from a couple of short sections (drop to Scarhouse and then down to Nidderdale). Mostly stone based tracks too so good all year round.

The medium loop from the marathon a couple of years back might be a good one too - I can't find the route online any more but starting from Kilnsey it climbed Mastiles lane then went over Hawkswick Clowder down to Arncliffe, up Littondale, over the bridleway to Dale Head, then worked its way round the bridleways to Stainforth, back up to the Gorbeck Road and back to Mastiles lane to finish. Could be pretty boggy in places at the moment - worth waiting for a freeze or summer.
 The New NickB 10 Dec 2012
In reply to Rigid Raider:

I am sure she does, but given the criteria she has set covers most of the north of England, she perhaps she doesn't own a map for all of those areas. More to the point perhaps she wanted a few friendly suggestions that she could then research further, doesn't seem unreasonable.
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Of course I do - I'm looking for 'classic loops'. Which aren't marked on OS maps, or at least not the three I was looking at this morning.

Any more helpful suggestions?
In reply to The New NickB:

Exactly - I do have maps covering most of the North of England, but friendly suggestions are exactly what I was looking for, hence my posting on a forum!
In reply to Pagan:

Thanks for that - sounds good! I'll plot it out on the map this evening.
johnj 10 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Well if its for the 'hive mind' that old route Seven of Nine is pretty mint.
In reply to johnj:

I'm probably being stupid but you've lost me here!
johnj 10 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Yeah it's a local route so local that most people get lost on it, maybe some details will go on-line in due time :+)
 Liam M 10 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: Are you aware of this book? There are a few longer routes and suggestions of linking routes together, and generally with an easy long route rather than technical feel (though there are a few exceptions).

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Mountain-Bike-Guide---South-Pennines-of-Wes...
In reply to Liam M:

Oo, I don't have that one. Looks good. I'll sneak it onto my Christmas list
G Graham 10 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
Not a loop as such, but if you get the train to Settle, then ride up to Kirkby Stephen station mostly following the Pennine Way (which is all open to mountain bikes), train back to Settle, you'll have a terrific day.It's about 30 miles but not technical. It took us about 4.5hrs without too many stops (two punctures). If there's more than two of you,check with the train service as they were a bit hesitant to let three of us on. Oh, and probably best saved for warmer weather.
 Rubbishy 10 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

The Settle Loop - I'll lend you the southern Dales guide
In reply to G Graham:

I think one of the MTB mags had an article on this a couple of months ago. Looks good.

ALC
In reply to John Rushby:

Thanks! It looks like a short route, but I'll definitely add it to my list.
G Graham 10 Dec 2012
In reply to a lakeland climber:
It is really good. Some excellent descents and terrific views. It also feels more of an adventure than it really is considering you're following signs most of the way.
In reply to G Graham:

Another one for my list! Thanks for this. Roll on next spring

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...