UKC

kilimanjaro

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tom.fox 11 Dec 2012
thinking of a trip to Kili next year -any advice of route choice/companies/when to go?thinking of middle 2 weeks october
thanks!
 The Ivanator 11 Dec 2012
In reply to tom.fox: Breach Wall Direct?
 THE.WALRUS 11 Dec 2012
In reply to The Ivanator:

The Breach Wall would be a great route to go for, but it can cause problems with acclimitisation.

If you go for the Breach Wall, it would be a good idea to climb Mt Meru first...
 The Ivanator 11 Dec 2012
In reply to THE.WALRUS: I think that the ice streak that Messner used to get through the crux in 1979 is no longer there, I don't think the route has been repeated since.
It would be a good idea to have extensive experience of climbing in the greater ranges and basically be performing at the top end of mixed mountaineering on the global scene before you attempt Breach Wall Direct, Messner rated it as one of his most dangerous and difficult climbs.

LennyJ1 11 Dec 2012
In reply to tom.fox: I did the Rongai route in 2011. It was great having the extra days to help acclimatize. I went in Feb/mar which is the end of the season but great for the weather.
 THE.WALRUS 11 Dec 2012
In reply to The Ivanator:

Oh, I meant the Breach Wall - it's a I/II scramble..
 The Ivanator 11 Dec 2012
In reply to THE.WALRUS: Aye, Shira Plateau & Western Breach it is a more entertaining way to the top than the volcanic screes ascended by Rongai, Marangu etc.
Breach Wall Direct was just a mischievious suggestion on my part!
 Alex Ekins 11 Dec 2012
In reply to tom.fox:
Jagged Globe are good
 hudav 12 Dec 2012
In reply to tom.fox: Did a trip to Kili a few years back and went up the Rongai route. Nice thing about it was how quiet the camp sites and trails were, we didn't really see anyone else until we got to Kibo.
OP tom.fox 12 Dec 2012
In reply to hudav: thanks everyone Breach Wall Direct it is then!
KermitTheFrog 13 Dec 2012
Jagged Globe are excellent and worth the extra money. Many of the routes are much of a muchness. I did Lemosho Glades which is quieter than the Machame route, Rongai is quiet as well from the Kenyan side. The Western Breach is offered by Jagged Globe and others, I would do that route if I go again.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...