UKC

5.10 Team shoe stretch question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
parberoo 11 Dec 2012
Hello, I've a question for you.
I now own a pair of 5.10 Team shoes. I got them via the forums and so i was always chancing it a bit in terms of size having never has 5.10 shoes and moving onto a more advanced type.
I got a size 10.5 - my previous spirit VCR shoes were 10.5 in size and my street shoe size is 10.5. As the spirits had stretched massively in 2 years of bumbling about in them I didnt want to go up a size so didnt but knew Teams were notoriously tight.
I have worn them for a single indoor session bouldering so far. It hurt.
Prior to that i had worn them about the house a bit, that hurt too.
I've worn them about the house some more since with and without socks etc.
My right foot now fits pretty well. I am kinda bunched up but not uncomfortably so unless I bounce about on my toes in a smeary fashion which isnt exactly their purpose. I feel like I'm stood more on the end of my big toe bone than the bottom of it currently.
On my left foot, my big toe knuckle is pushing on the toe box a lot in a similar situation. this is less an issue on my right foot.
Does anyone know if they're likely to stretch out to a degree whereby my toes will flatten off a little and/or the toe box will stretch up a bit?
I am reluctant to sell these and buy them again half a size bigger as I dont wanna end up with them being too big and have wasted my time. Its so marginal between being perfect or too small I'm hoping someone knows how they tend to go after a bit of use as they're only just softening up. There seems to be quite a lot of room in the heel almost like the back of the foot hole pushes my foot too far down the toe end.
I'm not sure whether they're lined or unlined or what as it doesnt seem to say on the box.
Any thoughts appreciated. They get their second indoor wall outing tomorrow.
 remus Global Crag Moderator 11 Dec 2012
In reply to parberoo: Id stick with them if I were you.

I found my teams softened up a fair bit through their life.
parberoo 11 Dec 2012
In reply to parberoo:
Cheers mate, I am hoping to.
I just read an article about them by a guy who by some coincidence had the same street and climbing shoe size as me who got them wet and had them become perfect.
Think I will be wearing them in the shower later
Thanks for your response
 Stephi 11 Dec 2012
In reply to parberoo:
Mine definitely streched a fair bit. I got them quite cheap and thought they fit (bought my street shoe size) but they did hurt a lot at the beginning, especially on the toe knuckles (they started bleeding...). I tried them a few times at an indoor wall and decided to sell them on UKC but nobody was interested. I finally cut the rubber on top of the toes a bit to avoid the pressure directly on the knuckles - and now, after a few month, they are my favourite shoes and I would buy them again.
 neuromancer 11 Dec 2012
In reply to parberoo:

if you get them wet and hot you need to wear them until 100% dry as they will shrink as they cool and dry
 cha1n 11 Dec 2012
In reply to parberoo:

I had teams .5 bigger than my street size and that was perfect apart from the heel fit me like you. I don't think there's anything you can do about it, they are quite a deep heel and I sold them (partly) because of the poor fitting heel (I use my heels a lot!).

To break them in I wore thick(ish) sandwich bags over the toe area of my foot as the toe rubber on these rub quite badly. On my new pair of dragons I cross-hatched the rubber above a hotspot with a scalpel and these made a massive difference. Took a break-in period from 3 weeks to 3 days.

I've broken in a lot of tight shoes and trying to break them in by wearing them around the house is pretty useless and takes ages. Best to just climb in them for 20 minute intervals and then swap back to some comfy ones until the pain stops and repeat.
 adstapleton 11 Dec 2012
In reply to parberoo:

Had mine for about three months. They're about as broken in as they're gonna get and actually feel fairly comfy. Unless I climb I them. I find the rubber on the soles is just not stiff enough so my feet bend too much, squishing my toes into the toe box upper. Pain ensues.

I so want to like them, but as it stands they're crud...
parberoo 12 Dec 2012
In reply to parberoo:
They had some shower and hair-dyer action last night which had the effect of leaving black marks in my bath and making me feel like a sexual deviant (naked, in shoes, in the shower :s).
I hair-dyed them while squatting on my toes and bouncing about and wore them til my knuckles wanted to cry.
They are most definately more squidgey than previous and they get an outing at the wall again tonight.
Last time i managed to wear them for about 15 mins at a time.
Shall repeat that today and report back.
So far I can definately curl my toes back and flatten out MUCH more than originally.
I also have very few issues getting them on and off which most reviews complaint about. I just push my toes in with the heel folded out of the way then pull the heel on. To remove I just pull the heel cup down and away from the back on my ankle in a similar way to how they went on.
I am determined to like them.
Am also gonna get the old stinkies re-soled for scrabbling about in.
parberoo 12 Dec 2012
In reply to parberoo:
I didnt dye them.
That was sposed to say hair-dryered or something.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...