UKC

Platypus repair

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kimono 12 Dec 2012
My 2 litre platypus hydration system sprung a leak this morning just as i was gearing up to go out on my bike.
I have only used it 5 or 6 times so am a bit peeved but i think its a pretty easy repair.

(yes, i know they have a lifetime guarantee and can return them for free repair/replacement but thats not an easy option from the DR)

The bottle has come away slightly from the harder plastic little handle at the top and i suspect a bit of glue should do the trick.
Any advice as to what glue would work best? Certainly not superglue as i keep my platy in the freezer when not in use and i know that sg doesnt freeze well
 CurlyStevo 12 Dec 2012
In reply to kieran b:
I'd be very wary of which glue you use as it is coming in to contact with your drinking water.
OP Kimono 12 Dec 2012
In reply to kieran b:
fair point....but presumably it is glued in the first place?
 Little Brew 12 Dec 2012
In reply to kieran b: I thought they were hot melted together, I would opt for the return route rather than glue and possibly void the lifetime warranty
OP Kimono 12 Dec 2012
In reply to Little Brew:
im sure you're right LB, but not straightforward from here as i said above
 Chris the Tall 12 Dec 2012
In reply to kieran b:
You can get patches for punctures, but that wouldn't work on a seam
 balmybaldwin 12 Dec 2012
In reply to kieran b:

I would guess that keeping it in the freezer is probably what weakened the plastic in the first place are they supposed to be ok at -20c?
OP Kimono 12 Dec 2012
In reply to balmybaldwin:
yes

i have always kept them in the freezer...stops them getting nasty
 jkarran 12 Dec 2012
In reply to kieran b:

> My 2 litre platypus hydration system sprung a leak this morning just as i was gearing up to go out on my bike.
> I have only used it 5 or 6 times so am a bit peeved but i think its a pretty easy repair.

Send it back for replacement, whatever glue you use will fail sooner or later, probably sooner.

jk
 Oo 12 Dec 2012
I find the official patches work fantastically on middle of the bag patches (and my salopettes).

I had a seam leak that I fixed with araldite, only lasted a day or two though. Platy's are so flexy you need a flexy glue.

If it was me I'd try melting it back together, maybe a bit of a google to find what the plastic is first and whether it would be a likely fix.
 CarolineMc 12 Dec 2012
In reply to kieran b: How about emailing them for some advice? They might be able to tell you what they would use... Co:
OP Kimono 12 Dec 2012
In reply to CarolineMc:
yes, good idea C and that is exactly what i have done.

Heat sealing may be an option as well.
Maybe i just have to buy a new one and return this next time im back in the 'west' but they're not cheap, and sadly you can only buy it complete with drinking tube which is a shame
 CarolineMc 12 Dec 2012
In reply to kieran b: good luck! If you do need to return it can you do it through a third party in the west? A friend or a P.O. box maybe? Co:
OP Kimono 13 Dec 2012
In reply to kieran b:
Well, just heard back from Cascade Designs (the makers of palypi) and the have kindly offered to send me a new one via a friend who is coming for xmas and for me to return the old one when i can...sweet!

Impressive customer service

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...