UKC

Bras for well endowed outdoorsy ladies??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wilkie14c 12 Dec 2012
Could the ladies of UKC enlighten me with some make/models of good sports type bras? Mrs B is rather well endowed <when compared to the average crag chick> and she always suffers when out mountain walking. I'd like to treat her to some decent gear for Christmas but I'm a bloke so like most blokes I know what size they are and what they smell like. Thats it!
We are talking 38DD here BTW
thank you in advance girls
 Yanis Nayu 12 Dec 2012
In reply to blanchie14c: Can't give advice, but I now know what to get you for Christmas.

A snorkel.
 Welsh Kate 12 Dec 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:
I like the Shock Absorber range - they do a run sports bra, but also a max support sports bra, and go up to Mrs B's size. Unlike some sports bras which tend to be compression bras, these are support bras and don't squish.
OP wilkie14c 12 Dec 2012
In reply to Submit to Gravity:
It a mans job alright ;-D
OP wilkie14c 12 Dec 2012
In reply to Welsh Kate:
Thanks Kate, will look into these <excuse the pun!!> As you say its support she needs to prevent back ache, most of what she has either pushes together <nice but not practical on the PYG track> or has wires which rub and in one extreme case the wire end caused a nasty sore
 Ridge 12 Dec 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:
Before I can give any useful advice I'll need a photo or two..
In reply to Ridge:

He is not much of a looker....be warned.
OP wilkie14c 12 Dec 2012
In reply to Ridge:
In your dreams kid
 ebygomm 12 Dec 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:

My first thought would be is she really a 38DD? For walking/hiking a well fitting bra would normally be fine, if it isn't then perhaps she's wearing the wrong size. My guess would be she's a smaller back size (less than 38) and a larger cup size. Lots of shops stop sizes at DD so women end up increasing the back size to make the cups fit (a 38DD has larger cups than a 36DD) instead of finding somewhere that stocks larger cup sizes.
 Denni 12 Dec 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:

Hi mate,
I find it a bit strange talking about my other halfs boobs but here you go!

She is the same size as your missus, doesn't climb but loads of skiing and kayaking and she uses Bravissimo sports bras. Bras for the top heavy lady!
OP wilkie14c 12 Dec 2012
In reply to ebygomm:
Yea she has a small back, she is faily short overall and does resemble a bedside cabinet with the top draw open! Once she puts a rucksac on the shoulder staps can affect the comfort of the bra too and the chest strap always ends up in the wrong place and is never long enough. But yes, she really is 38DD, got measured at M&S not long back in an attempt to get the correct size bras for gym use. Her gym bras aren't too bad but you aren't at the gym for 12/15 hours in waterproofs carrying a sack, thats where the probs start
OP wilkie14c 12 Dec 2012
In reply to Denni:
> Hi mate,
> I find it a bit strange talking about my other halfs boobs but here you go!

Its fine mate, I'm quite happy to sit and discuss your other halfs boobs

Seriously though cheers, Bravissimo - thats 2 bras to look into <wayheyyy!>
 Denni 12 Dec 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:

You're welcome!
 ebygomm 12 Dec 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:

> got measured at M&S

This is her problem, if she has a small back there's no way she is a 38DD

M&S are notoriously bad at measuring if you are fairly well endowed. I would imagine she's a bit further down the alphabet than a D and a smaller back size.
 Denni 12 Dec 2012
In reply to ebygomm:

My word, I think I'm at the all knowing edge of my other halfs measurements, clearly not! 28HH and no way is she a 38DD, why did I think that?!

Anyway, Bravissimo are still the place. She gets measured a couple of times a year and rates the bras. Good job she can't or won't see this thread....
OP wilkie14c 12 Dec 2012
In reply to ebygomm:
mmmm, food for thought. Anywhere else offer proper measuring? <High street that is, not UKC members before everyone offers!>
 Tall Clare 12 Dec 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:

Get Mrs B to go to one of the small independent lingerie places locally - they tend to offer a much better service (in my experience). Be warned - she may emerge having spent a small fortune on small bits of lace and cloth
 ebygomm 12 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
> Be warned - she may emerge having spent a small fortune on small bits of lace and cloth

Or not so small bits of lace and cloth

ebygomm 12 Dec 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:

Bravissimo is on the high street some places.

Otherwise small independents or somewhere like Debenhams or House of Fraser
 Gone 12 Dec 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:

Rigby and Peller are amazing, if very ££££. They are fitters to the Queen, and you never see her looking droopy despite her advancing years, do you? If you have one near you, a fitting appointment and a voucher would be a great present, and once they tell you your size in each brand (some brands vanity size more than others, for example a Panache 32DD is a Bravissimo 30E/F) you can buy cheap online elsewhere in future. One of the differences between posh bra brands and M&S is that you can guarantee that a bra will fit you if you have one in the same size and a similar style from them, whereas M&S sizing is just random and you need to try on.

Shock absorber are good sports bras, but once you are above a certain size it is all about compromise - there is no bra that will look pretty, give you a flattering shape under clothes, prevent bounce and feel comfy all day.
 ebygomm 12 Dec 2012
In reply to Gone:

Is vanity sizing in bras making things seem smaller or bigger than they are??
OP wilkie14c 12 Dec 2012
In reply to Gone:
> (In reply to blanchie14c)
They are fitters to the Queen, and you never see her looking droopy despite her advancing years, do you?

If I'm honest I've never looked the the queens tits no...
OP wilkie14c 12 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
>
> Be warned - she may emerge having spent a small fortune on small bits of lace and cloth

Reckon I can live with that
In reply to blanchie14c: Well, I have been educated. I always thought that 'sports' underwear didn't stay on very long...

The other half recommends Debenhams for sports bras that are meant to stay on, with another vote for shock absorber. Another online source is Ample Bosom. But fitting pretty much essential to get the right size. Shock absorber sizes are rated accurate but I'm told they give the wearer a tit loaf.

The voice of experience also says that back size can vary by brand by four inches and two cup sizes.

T.
 KA_R36 12 Dec 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:
Bravissimo much better than standard high street shops. Would never go back to high street store
OP wilkie14c 12 Dec 2012
In reply to KA_R36:
I've just spent 20 mins on the Bravissimo site and I need a lie down now!
Thinking that the D+ Max Sports will fit the bill, need to discuss sizes again with her (and perhaps measure her up myself)

Hannah 40DD from Northhampton can't wait to try hers at her Zumba class (!!) and she bought it after her teacher recommended it, I just hope she's a mature student....

Blue Straggler 12 Dec 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:
>
>
> Hannah 40DD from Northhampton can't wait to try hers at her Zumba class (!!) and she bought it after her teacher recommended it, I just hope she's a mature student....

This reminds me of the tagline to the 1950s musical comedy "The French Line" which just said:
"Jane Russell - in 3D! It'll knock BOTH your eyes out"
 KA_R36 12 Dec 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:
In store normally great service and they fit to what fits not what you measure! Book a slot in advance.
 Blue Straggler 12 Dec 2012
my mistake, it just said "J.R. in 3D - Need We Say More?!" if Google is anything to go by
 KA_R36 12 Dec 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:
Ps she's probably an E or an F with a much smaller back size 34 or 36. When you go down a back size go up one cup size as a rule. So if 38DD then going down one back size but same cup size then 36E if two then 34F. Hope this makes sense.
Shearwater 12 Dec 2012
Shock Absorbers, all the way.
OP wilkie14c 12 Dec 2012
In reply to KA_R36: It just so happens we are off to Liverpool tomorrow to the passport office and some shopping and lo, a branch on Bold Street. Perhaps try our luck for a fitting but I def going to take her, be daft not to if we are in a city with a branch. Without this thread I wouldn't have even known about this shop/brand. Thanks everyone, I'll report back tomorrow but don't let this stop the breast jokes coming until then....
 nufkin 12 Dec 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:
> (In reply to syv_k)
> [...]

> If I'm honest I've never looked the the queens tits no...

Bet you snuck a look at Kate's, though
OP wilkie14c 12 Dec 2012
In reply to KA_R36:
> Hope this makes sense.

May as well be Chinese mate, boobs - they are either in or out, thats all I know
OP wilkie14c 12 Dec 2012
In reply to nufkin:
I will be doing as they get progressivly bigger over the next 9 months
 Ian Carr 12 Dec 2012
In reply to blanchie14c: One of our websites has a massive range :

http://www.figleaves.com/uk/brands/shock-absorber/20962/

http://www.figleaves.com/uk/ranges/sports/bras/19700/20836/

Gift wrapping, etc.....
Bybox delivery option is a good service.

Gone 12 Dec 2012
In reply to ebygomm:
> (In reply to syv_k)
> Is vanity sizing in bras making things seem smaller or bigger than they are??

Making things have a smaller back size and a larger cup size.
The cup size isn't absolute, but is relative to the back size ie 32D will have the same volume as a 34C or 36B but sounds better. Bravissimo are very guilty of this because they claim to only cater for women with D cups or above but then redefine that to be most of the female population. However it is generally true with modern elastics that most women wear too loose a band, and would benefit from something that is quite tight around the band (go down a band size, go up in cup size) as that takes weight off the shoulders and improves posture.

climbingpixie 12 Dec 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:

Another vote here for Shock Absorber - I've tried a few different sports bras and they're definitely the most comfortable and effective. I like the fact that mine has two fastenings at the back, one at standard bra strap height and one between the shoulder blades, which means it's really supportive without just squashing my tits! In fact, tit loaf seems dramatically reduced compared to others I've tried.

P.S. I'm a 36C-D so not as big as your missus but big enough to notice the difference between a good and bad sports bra!
 Yanis Nayu 12 Dec 2012
In reply to climbingpixie:
>
In fact, tit loaf seems dramatically reduced compared to others I've tried.

What about dumplings boiling over?

annieman 12 Dec 2012
In reply to blanchie14c: I know nothing about sizing but I can recommend the girls from the Liverpool Bravissimo shop. I worked with them on a Breakthrough Breast Cancer Charity walk a couple of years back and they were a real hoot. They prided themselves on being able to make sure that Ladies had the correct size and fitted Bra.

I reckon that you'll have a good laugh with them girls.

Enjoy.
OP wilkie14c 12 Dec 2012
In reply to annieman:
Just in from work and spoke to the mrs, we are going to chance our luck for a sizing there tomorrow. One done she's going to take a good look at both Bravissimo and figleaf.
 fizz 12 Dec 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:

another vote for Shock Absorber, queen of sports bras, but also have a good one from Freya Active (more of a Jane Russell than loaf outcome with this brand btw). Definitely agree that trying a smaller back / bigger cup often gives a better fit as John Lewis also recommended this - they and Debenhams both have good fitting folks by the way
OP wilkie14c 12 Dec 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:
40 odd posts and 700+ views in just a few hours in the gear forum - A new innovation to make everyone climb harder? No its about tits!
OP wilkie14c 12 Dec 2012
In reply to fizz: ooo, we have a debs near us too, ta
 cat22 12 Dec 2012
In reply to blanchie14c: I use this one for climbing: http://www.lessbounce.com/sports-bras-underwired/panache/panache-sports-bra...

I find it much more comfortable for all day use than the Shock Absorber ones (which I use for running). Large sizes available
Sarah G 12 Dec 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:
Yes, blanchie, do keep us abreast of things....

<<Coat, leaves>>

Sxx
 Wonrek 13 Dec 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:
> 40 odd posts and 700+ views in just a few hours in the gear forum - A new innovation to make everyone climb harder? No its about tits!

Have you ever tried climbing with swinging tits? Have you ever had grazed nips?

See a bloody good bra is an innovation to us ladeez!

Cx

(and another vote for the shock absorbers, I use the ones that cost around £30 and with the miles I do they can't be bad!)
 Ava Adore 13 Dec 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:

Whilst being nowhere NEAR the size of your missus, I can also recommend Shock Absorber bras (Go Outdoors near me sell them in the Running section). Because they don't have much in the way of metally bits on the shoulders, should work well with a rucksack.
 Enty 13 Dec 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:
> (In reply to KA_R36)
>
>
> Hannah 40DD from Northhampton can't wait to try hers at her Zumba class (!!) and she bought it after her teacher recommended it, I just hope she's a mature student....

You got the link for this

E
 wendys 14 Dec 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:

I would take Mrs B to your local Bravissimo store and get her checked out for size first. The ladies there are really good and can recommend a range of bras and suggested sizes for her. I went for a fitting at Debenhams and was sized at a 36D, a trip to Bravissimo sized me at 32FF, which not only put a smile on my face, but also provided a greatly better fitting bra.

Unfortunately my experience so far is that there is a limited choice of bras available for the lady with anything larger than a 'C' cup, and once you get into an activity with more movement than a sedate yoga class, you can really struggle to find something which offers good support.

I can recommend Pure Lime sports bras. I can't remember the exact model i have, but it offers good general support and is comfortable. I've also just acquired some Odlo bras, they are not very supportive but are comfortable and I like the look of them.

If Mrs B does any running, I would highly recommend the Shockabsorber Run bra. I really struggled with running as my chest just did not seem suited to it. The 'Run' bra holds them rock solid and is brilliant. I do use it for other activities, but it can be quite uncomfortable when you wear it all day.

hope this helps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...