Winter Climbing forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Dogs in the mountains during winter?

happy_c - on 13 Dec 2012
After a few different threads about dogs including the rescue one, This has got me thinking with my dog, He is a working dog, and bloody hard too, but i dont feel safe taking him in the mountains during winter mainly becasue i either put myself at risk keeping him roped up, or i have him of a lead, and risk putting him at risk, myself at risk rescuing or if i decide to leave him (which just to clarify i wouldnt do) I out everyone else at risk who tries to rescue him.

How does everyone manage this taking muts out in the mountains at winter? The only way i see it possible to make sure hes 'safe' is to get a proper harness, and i guess treat him like a fellow climber!

I know he would probably out climb me anywhere, and out last me, but he is still a dog and i have no doubt would throw him self down a gully because he thought there could be a ball down there! Or something shaped like a ball!

So what do you all do in order to be respobsible with your dogs in winter? For now mine is being left at home, until i come up with a soltuion!
... not showing 27 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums