UKC

Sugru karabiner mod

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Taurig 13 Dec 2012
Just noticed this video on another outdoor website. It seems to be from the guys that make Sugru, who are suggesting using their product to modify krabs to stop cross loading when using a belay plate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-3aWOz7sYc&feature=player_embedded#!

What do y'all think? I don't think it's inherently dangerous or anything, I'm just not sure a little flap of rubber would actually work. Probably OK on the spine side, but on the gate side I reckon very little force would be needed to force it back through. Just thought I'd post it as there was recently a review of belay krabs on this site.

Cheers
 franksnb 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Taurig: i suppose the assumption is that if the loading starts in long axis of the krab it will stay there? looks good.
 jonnie3430 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Taurig:

I'm sure I can find other uses for that stuff too, cheers for the link!
 Martin W 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Taurig: How come I've never heard of this stuff before? It looks really useful, and the story of how it made it on to the market is quite inspiring. (Six years from first concept to breakthrough is way outside the ROI timescales of your run-of-the-mill sources of financing. Kudos to the folks who did help it to happen.)
 jj0076 13 Dec 2012
In reply to jonnie3430:
Sugru rocks !!
 thedatastream 13 Dec 2012
In reply to jj0076:
> (In reply to jonnie3430)
> Sugru rocks !!

^^ This.

I used it to add some Petzl Elios like clips to allow me to mount a headtorch on my bike helmet. And to fix a knife handle. And to add grips to my Thermos flask. And to fix a nose bridge on my homebrew belay glasses. And the nosebridge on my Oakleys.

You get the idea.
 goose299 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Taurig:
Used it on the shafts of my axes to add grip and a bit of warmth when I drytool. Love the stuff

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...