/ fear of needles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ice.solo - on 14 Dec 2012
any good tales?

yesterday i got a flu shot. the wife went first, didnt flinch. daughter next, short squeak and done. my turn, i sweated and looked away and even tho i didnt even feel it the smell of the swab and the feel of the stuff going into my muscle made my head go woozey and i had to lay down and have my blood pressure taken. apparently my face went green.

now ive had dozens of needles after accidents, seen nasty things, had accupuncture, given injections myself and had lengthy IVs - but a standard jab in the sanity of a doctors office took me down like a whimp.
as i lay on the sofa waiting for my head to stop spinning 2 schoolgirls got their shots whilst looking at their phones...

am i the only one?
Boogs on 14 Dec 2012
In reply to ice.solo:

Ed you wuss ;0P . I've never really had problems with needles being stuck in me apart from when a medic attempted & jabbed me at least 8 times trying to get an I V line in ,it was dark but I did it myself in the end .

I do go a bit squiffy sometimes watching others getting jabbed .

Have you had any major flu symptoms yet Ed ?

Leon .
Cameron94 on 15 Dec 2012
In reply to ice.solo: After coming off a mtb I had three attempts at a cannula without even noticing with only the bruises to show they were done.

I've never had an issue with jabs but perhaps it was a quick reaction to what had been in it that your body didn't like?
ice.solo - on 15 Dec 2012
In reply to boogie man:

nah, its for other reasons.

IV in the dark is grim, but know what you mean. i could have given the shot, but getting it...
Kelcat - on 15 Dec 2012
In reply to ice.solo: I've no real issues with pain, injuries, gruesome stuff...but needles, oh dear me. Fainted back out into the corridor in front of the entire year for my bcg booster at 15, not good for image of football team captain.
Last yr at age of 41 I had to have a minor biopsy, went to Dr's for procedure. Now it says all over my medical notes that I won't react well to needles. Dr has a chat, I explain its not going to get any better, get on with it. So he picks up the needle, jabs me in the knee, puts down needle, picks up scalpel, and, as I'm thinking "christ that anesthetic must work quick", begins to cut. It doesn't work quick & I yelp. Instead of giving it a few minutes to take effect, Dr decides to stick me with a second needle. Result... I threw up all over him. I'm not sorry. Not one bit.
whispering nic - on 15 Dec 2012
In reply to ice.solo:
Agree fully, nothing worse than the needle hovering above your arm, always look away, squirm, grimace, intake breath heavily etc
McGuinness - on 15 Dec 2012
In reply to ice.solo: I'm one of the heartless bastards that put cannulas in and takes blood. Fear me!
andreas on 15 Dec 2012 - host109-155-66-34.range109-155.btcentralplus.com
In reply to ice.solo: I once told a doctor she couldn't take my blood because she was stealing my soul. Spazzed the f*ck out of her.
wilkie14c - on 15 Dec 2012
In reply to ice.solo:
Needles don't really bother me, blood donor for many years and I have those veins like hosepipes than nurses dream of cause its sooo easy to get a line in. Now local anestitic directly injected into a wound so they can clean it out... I feinted once after having that, feck me pain like nothing a human should be able to endure. Felt like it was some sort of reward you got for sucking the devil off :~(
In reply to andreas:
> (In reply to ice.solo) I once told a doctor she couldn't take my blood because she was stealing my soul. Spazzed the f*ck out of her.

what, a whole arm full??..
TheDrunkenBakers - on 15 Dec 2012
In reply to ice.solo:

Im not a fan of needles either.
SAF - on 15 Dec 2012
In reply to ice.solo: My dad has an extreme reaction to needles, particularly when having blood taken. I took him for his pre-op assesment before his hip replacement and the nurse wouldn't believe him when he told her that he had to be laid down prior to having bloods taken. He was pressured into having it done sat in a arm chair... he had a massive dropped in blood pressure which resulted in a short hypoxic seizure...the nurses (used to dealing with 'healthy' patients coming in for elective surgery) then went into full scale panic mode!!! It is now written in big letters in his notes that he must be laid down in future.
Trangia - on 15 Dec 2012
In reply to ice.solo:

I used to have that fear, but I've had so many jabs now for all sorts of things, and had far more uncomfortable things done to me like aggressive gum treatment, biopsies, drain and catheter removals, that a mere needle prick is now a non event.
dissonance - on 15 Dec 2012
In reply to ice.solo:

i hate the things.
mountain.martin - on 15 Dec 2012
In reply to ice.solo:

Yes, I've had the same reaction all my life, In have to tell them to let me lie down, still hate it but at least I don't feint. I think I should try hypnotherapy to get over it.
In reply to mountain.martin:
> (In reply to ice.solo)
>
> Yes, I've had the same reaction all my life, In have to tell them to let me lie down, still hate it but at least I don't feint. I think I should try hypnotherapy to get over it.

Hypnotherapy don't work for this affliction mate, acripuncture is what you want
Nigel Thomson - on 15 Dec 2012
In reply to ice.solo: I've just spent a few days in hospital with a virus. I've had needles and drips in me countless times but Tuesday morning goes down in history as my first experience of a catheter!!! On the way in and the way out was an eye watering experience to say the least!!!
mountain.martin - on 15 Dec 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:
> (In reply to mountain.martin)
> [...]
>
> Hypnotherapy don't work for this affliction mate, acripuncture is what you want

I know that was a joke, but I'm such a wus that I tried accupuncture once for a shoulder injury and went all woosy when the first accupuncture needle went in. That was the end of that treatment.
In reply to mountain.martin:
haha oh dear you really have it bad eh. I used to be like that with spiders but realised it was becoming irrational and just sat and thought about things, made a new years res last Jan not to kill any more spiders and since then I've faced it and removed the odd spider from the house and let others be to take their chances with the cat. I understand though that spiders aren't going to hurt me and your fear, well, needles to pinch a bit if you aren't relaxed in the first place. Good luck with this.
pneame on 15 Dec 2012
In reply to ice.solo:
Absolutely not alone - same reaction here.
It's called "white coat syndrome".
Pete Ford on 15 Dec 2012
In reply to ice.solo:
I'm type 2 diabetic, and the nurse decided that a fairly new drug, not insulin, but another type of drug, which comes in injectable form would be the way to go. So I went in for some tuition and tried on a small plastic cushion simulating my stomach or thigh.....didn't hurt a bit. Got the gear from the chemist, got ready for my first injection....and sat there for at least half an hour, sweating, dry mouth with the syringe hovering above the injection site. Got there in the end, but I was so scared, that I thought I would have to go back to the nurse with my tail between my legs and admit defeat.

Pete
hokkyokusei - on 15 Dec 2012
In reply to ice.solo:

It's mot just you, I can't deal within either. It's totally irrational for me. I've had loads of jabs AMD hale lots of blood taken nut it's always the same. I go cold and clammy. Feel sick and dizzy.urgh
vegemite - on 15 Dec 2012
In reply to ice.solo:
I went for a few travel injections a while ago, and the nurse administering them was the image of the archetypal matron. As she got the stuff out of the fridge she said nonchalantly over her shoulder "Do you mind needles?". Caught a bit off my guard I replied "Well, I can't say I'm that keen on them". "No" she said marching over, "most men aren't. It's because they don't have babies!". I swear she took a run up.
snoop6060 - on 15 Dec 2012
In reply to ice.solo:

I pass out if I see one, I always have to explain this to the nurse. And even still, after getting one, I sometimes pass out. Last time they wouldn't let me drive my car home until I was OK. Which took a while.

Oddly, I have no issue with dental injections.

The thought of an impending injection is enough to ruin me until it'd done. If I have one booked in for weeks ahead its just weeks of hell.

I am not entirely sure why, i've only ever had one that actually hurt!
Timmd on 15 Dec 2012
In reply to ice.solo:

I once had a medic not supporting my wrist while he looked for the vein, and wave his hankerchief around theatrically while he blow his nose. It sounds weird to type, but the two things put together didn't inspire confidence somehow, it all felt a bit random being seen to by him.

Didn't mind the needle though, just him seeming strange, I can't put why into words adequately though.
Timmd on 15 Dec 2012
In reply to ice.solo:If my post reads oddly, that's just how the medic seemed to me and mum, indefinably odd. (:-))
David Martin - on 15 Dec 2012
In reply to ice.solo:

I assume everyone in that story apart from yourself was Japanese though? They're made of much sterner stuff ;-)
David Martin - on 15 Dec 2012
In reply to ice.solo:

I'm a regular (2-3 times a year for the last 15) human guinea pig. I wouldn't say I like needles, but the usual hospital routine begins with a canula and some 20+ blood samples from it over the following 24 hours. I can't stand the thing and as soon as I can I get it pulled out the happier I am...even though that means them jabbing me each time they then need blood.

There's something about a big plastic hydrant sticking out of my arm that makes me want to lay down, while I can happily watch them jab my veins many times over once its been removed.

Just thinking about the canula is often enough to make me sweat, ears start ringing, vision goes narrow and grey...
genericflipper - on 15 Dec 2012
In reply to ice.solo:

so this isnt the seasonal link about christmas trees I thought it was then?
ice.solo - on 15 Dec 2012
In reply to David Martin:

sort of: wifes japanese - and an ER/DMAT nurse. daughters half, hopefully with the stronger side.

canulas and IVs dont worry me at all. really i think in my case its the clinical element (tho medical facilities dont concern me either, just when combined with the needles).
its been suggested it goes back to early childhood memories of immunizations, the smell of the swab etc. could be.

cool to see im not the only one. some good stories there, and fine descriptions of the unpleasant effects.
cuppatea on 16 Dec 2012
In reply to ice.solo:

Apparently and anecdotaly when I was in a coma my blood pressure and heart rate would spike whenever anyone came near me wielding a needle.

I don't like needles.
mike kann - on 16 Dec 2012
In reply to ice.solo: never used to have an issue with needles then had chemo for four moths plus bloods done, ct scans with iodine and all the bells and whistles. Now as soon as I get into a hospital I can feel my balls shrink. If I go down the corridor past the oncology dept where if first found out I start to feel physically sick. I can't watch medical dramas anymore as I all like a 5 year old girl after you've just told her that my little pony is only a make belief plastic doll and that she doesn't really own a horse. In fact films in general make me emotional, god help me if there's someone suffering a little bit...
mike kann - on 16 Dec 2012
In reply to mike kann: ball, not all...
Wainers44 - on 16 Dec 2012
In reply to ice.solo: a recent docs visit for my daughter ended up with her fainting 3 times while the poor nurse tried to take a blood sample...she was in there for more than an hour!!
Sebastian Fontleroy - on 16 Dec 2012
In reply to ice.solo: ot out

Hate them. I had my first bad reaction when i was 12ish and i had to have a tetanus and polio drop together. My mum and sister where with me and i must have stopped breathing or something. Got outside and all i remember is saying in a dizzy voice, "Everything's going grey and black". I then woke up with a crowd around me with somebody slapping my face and my sister crying with laughter. 28 years on and this story still gets brought up over Christmas dinner. That and the time i came home when i was 16 off my head on magic mushrooms. My dad asking me, "What do you mean you've eaten magic mushrooms, you don't even like mushrooms".

I also hate rats to go with needles and mushrooms.
nniff - on 16 Dec 2012
In reply to ice.solo:

Needles - I'm fine. But dentists? Oh my life! I went on Thursday, I was in the chair for all of ten minutes. She prodded and poked, uttered some incantations and spells and said I was fine. I was off like a greyhound out of a trap, heartbeat going mental! I sit there arms crossed legs crossed, like a coiled spring.

I read this thread quite happily, until someone mentioned dental injections. I'm in a right tizz now. Time to start breathing and click the submit button quick. No time to proof read.....get it away from me now!
Trangia - on 16 Dec 2012
In reply to ice.solo:

When I was in my 20s I once had a blood test. The nurse was young and inexperienced and clearly nervous at doing it. She admitted later that I was the first patient she had tried to take blood from unsupervised.

It didn't start well as my vein kept rolling away from the needle. She had three attempts, then said she would try buy other arm. At the second attempt she managed to penetrate the vein but pushed too hard and the needle went right through it and out the other side.

By this time we were both in a state of nervous exhaustion, and at the third attempt on this arm (the 6th in total) she managed to break the needle with the broken bit sticking out of me. So she went off to find a more senior nurse to come and extract the broken needle and finally finish the job.

I wasn't too harsh on the young nurse, and wished her well in her career for the future and surprisingly wasn't undully worried next time I had to have a blood test, but since then I've preferred older more expereinced nurses.....
Sebastian Fontleroy - on 16 Dec 2012
In reply to nniff:

Sorry, I hate rats, mushrooms, needles and DENTISTS WITH NEEDLES!
dxbyrne - on 16 Dec 2012
In reply to ice.solo: no problem with needles here but my husband has to lie down to have injections or bloods taken. Apparently it's a physiological reaction and his blood vessels constrict automatically when a foreign object is pushed in and that cuts off blood to his brain and he faints (or that's what they told him to feel better about it!)

Timmd on 16 Dec 2012
In reply to ice.solo:forgot to add a large lump started to appear on my wrist after the jab and I thought 'WTF?' and hastily pressed on it with the pad and hoped nothing major was happening. Quite perturbing to see a large lump growing on your wrist. Does anybody know why this can happen after having needles inserted?
nniff - on 17 Dec 2012
In reply to Sebastian Fontleroy:
> (In reply to nniff)
>
> Sorry, I hate rats, mushrooms, needles and DENTISTS WITH NEEDLES!

Bastard. I hate you.

Shiver and cringe.
Timmd on 17 Dec 2012
In reply to nniff:I once had what felt like a little electric shock in my gum after the anasthetic needle touched near my nerve.

heh heh heh (:-))
Neil Williams - on 17 Dec 2012
In reply to ice.solo:

Needles are unpleasant. I would say I fear them on the same level as I do any pain, given that pain is not supposed to be pleasant that's not surprising. This does not prevent me having them, but it doesn't make them nice.

Depending on what it is I suppose a combination of adrenaline and what the injection contained could make you go woozy?

Neil
Neil Williams - on 17 Dec 2012
In reply to Timmd:

The issue I tend to have with dentists' needles is that my nerves seem to run in unusual paths around my mouth, so if you put an injection in the expected place it often doesn't do anything in the desired place and deadens the wrong bit of my mouth. The usual approach to this is to put loads more in and deaden half my face...

Neil
David Martin - on 17 Dec 2012
In reply to Timmd:

I had a massive lump appear in my elbow/forearm joint after a recent needle. About as round as a 2p coin, with bruising and associated aching running halfway down my forearm for a good fortnight after. Doctor said this could be caused by the needle being dragged down the inside of the vein on removal.
simon c on 17 Dec 2012
In reply to ice.solo:

after nearly 30 years of Nursing I can't even begin to count the amount of needles I have used on others, however I can remember every single one done to me ;-)
Sebastian Fontleroy - on 17 Dec 2012
> (In reply to Timmd)
>
> Doctor said this could be caused by the needle being dragged down the inside of the vein on removal.

That made my feel nauseous.

nniff - on 17 Dec 2012
In reply to Timmd:
> (In reply to nniff)I once had what felt like a little electric shock in my gum after the anasthetic needle touched near my nerve.
>
> heh heh heh (:-))

Oh great - you too. Another name on my little list.....

I'm not listening any more!
Skyfall - on 17 Dec 2012
In reply to ice.solo:

you big wuss!

actually.... I am not great with needles but it's not purely in my head. I once had a blood sample taken and due to poor technique on the part of the nurse (it hurt when it went in and i gather than normally means poor technique or blunt needle or something) the vein wouldn't heal up and I had a huge 'egg' of blood build up under the skin of my arm. You should have seen them panic at the surgery. Almost made me feel better. Anyway, I've never refused to have an injection or keeled over but I have to admit I don't really enjoy it.
Tall Clare - on 17 Dec 2012
In reply to ice.solo:

Just wondering - is it mere coincidence that most people responding to this one are male?

I have to look away when they put the big needle in when I give blood, and I do remember feeling distinctly queasy at the sound of the words 'we're just going to inject this dental syringe full of anaesthetic into the neck of your cervix' but apart from that... my twin brother is the needle phobic of the family. He faints and everything!
Timmd on 17 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

I don't mind them! I just found the guy putting one in once strange. Big difference. (:-))
Timmd on 17 Dec 2012
> (In reply to Timmd)
>
> I had a massive lump appear in my elbow/forearm joint after a recent needle. About as round as a 2p coin, with bruising and associated aching running halfway down my forearm for a good fortnight after. Doctor said this could be caused by the needle being dragged down the inside of the vein on removal.

Interesting, think mine didn't happen because I wondered what the heck was happening and pressed down hard with the piece of absorbant stuff they give you. It was that sort of day. Been fine since in giving blood samples.
Skyfall - on 17 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

We're just being self aware, ok?
joan cooper - on 17 Dec 2012
In reply to ice.solo: Im due at the dentists again tomorrow for a filling. They know I hate the needle so they treat me like a baby and put some numbing gell on my gum first. Then Idont feel a thing except I think Im drowning with the squirty water cooler. Thats worse.
estivoautumnal - on 17 Dec 2012
In reply to ice.solo:

Man up.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.