UKC

Silva wrist compass - anyone got any experience?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 haydn 15 Dec 2012
For a variety of uninteresting reasons, I have a Silva Expedition 4 but need to buy another compass. The Exped is fine for walking and climbing, so I was considering getting something more running-focussed for my fell runs and the odd mountain marathon.

I considered a thumb compass, but I often run with trekking poles and assume a thumb compass wouldget in the way of gripping the poles? I've since seen the Silva 66 OMC Spectra wrist compass:
http://silva.se/node/53

This obviously would work with poles, but doesn't have degree markings or any kind of base plates / direction of travel arrow. Has anyone used one? Is it practical for fell running, or just hardcore orienteering? People seem to love thumb compasses, and I don't mind spending decent money if it's likely to be useful, but I'm not bent on getting interesting-looking gear if it won't do the job I need.
TOS 15 Dec 2012
In reply to haydn:

There's a thumb compass with degree markings by a company called Moscow, google orienteering suppliers, shouldn't be difficult to find.

I use a thumb compass for orienteering and a baseplate type for mountain marathons, my reasoning is that running flat out through a forest is not a good time to faff with a compass, whereas on the hill it's not such an issue

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...