Photography forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Best compact camera in auto mode??

Phil Payne - on 15 Dec 2012
I'm looking for a nice compact camera for my mum for Christmas, but it has to be easy to use and work well in automatic mode.

Her current camera is a Samsung PL201, which produces some of the worst images I've ever seen from a digital camera. I thought that maybe it was down to user error, but I have tried every setting on it and have come to the conclusion that the camera is simply useless.

Whatever I get, it has to be easy to use and work well indoors in full auto mode, as I can't imagine my mum playing with all the settings. I'm also not keen on touch screen she's not the best without her glasses.

I quite like the Lumix range from Panasonic and the FS35 that my missus has certainly seems to take good photos. I've been out today and played with loads of different cameras and the one that I kept coming back to is the Canon Ixus 500HS. I don't know if I'm just being fooled by the good quality screen on it, but it seemed to produce the best pictures taken indoors (PCWorld) with no flash.

Budget is about 200, but I noticed that there are some great deals on cameras at the moment, like the Nikon J1, Panasonic GF3 and even the Canon D1100 for well under 300! I'd love to get her one of these, but feel that it would just be wasted as they are too complex and too large for her to carry around in her handbag.

... not showing 9 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums