UKC

Recommend me a ski tour!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Tim Chappell 15 Dec 2012
OK, so walking up to the summit of Cairn Gorm then skiing down the NE ridge (Sron a Cha-no) the other day--before the thaw arrived, in sunshine--was something I'd been trying to get round to for a couple of years. And, apart from skiable all the way to Ryvoan, it was everything I'd hoped it would be and more

Where next, folks? Suggestions for routes please!

I myself have in mind:

Creag Meagaidh and the round of Coire Ardair
A'Bhuidheanach Beag and the buttocky top over towards Drumochter
A revisit to Sgor Gaoith (I did this two winters ago and it was fantastic)
Aonach Mor, Aonach Beag, and round as far as possible either towards the Grey Corries, or towards CMD
Tim Chappell 15 Dec 2012
In reply to Tim Chappell:

PS I'm trying to bag Munro tops at the same time. So suggestions with tops en route are particularly welcome.

So also are dis-recommendations--where is it a particularly good idea NOT to go?
skarabrae 15 Dec 2012
In reply to Tim Chappell: this looks a canny site :-

http://skitourscotland.co.uk/tours.html
Tim Chappell 15 Dec 2012
In reply to skarabrae:

Nice one, thanks
 niallk 15 Dec 2012

Went up Ben Wyvis and then along its ridge and down a couple of years back which was enjoyable:

vimeo.com/21354369

Ben Dorain makes for a nice short day on skis, as does Chno Dearg (though there's another Munro you could combine that with the name of which escapes me right now).
 DaveHK 15 Dec 2012
> (In reply to Tim Chappell)
>
> So also are dis-recommendations--where is it a particularly good idea NOT to go?

For what it sounds like you're wanting rolling and grassy is good, steep and rocky is bad.
Tim Chappell 15 Dec 2012
In reply to niallk:

Wyvis! Yes! <checks meteo excitedly, sees what it actually says, subsides>
Tim Chappell 15 Dec 2012
In reply to DaveHK:

So, not the Coe then-- though I do have a dream of skiing Ben Nevis one day...
 Denni 15 Dec 2012

Here are a few ideas:

http://www.piste-off.com/world-ski-mountaineering/scottish-ski-mountaineeri...

The only one I've done myself from that lot is the Carn an Tuirc to Glas Maol traverse, loved it!

Just building my touring set now to try and get back into it. Makes a change from climbing.
 DaveHK 15 Dec 2012
> (In reply to Dave Kerr)
>
> though I do have a dream of skiing Ben Nevis one day...

Probably the best day out I've had on the skis was on the Ben.
Tim Chappell 15 Dec 2012
In reply to Denni:

Cheers. More great ideas.
Tim Chappell 15 Dec 2012
In reply to DaveHK:

Yeah... in real full-on conditions it looks to me like you could ski from the summit, not just back to the dam, but back to the Ben Nevis Inn on a long contoured left-hander descent round Meall an t-Suidhe
Tim Chappell 15 Dec 2012

PS If so, that would presumably be the longest unbroken descent in Britain!
craigloon 15 Dec 2012

One tour I really fancy doing is the Ben Lawers group. Be great to get all 7 in one go! I've done 24 Munros on skis so far.

Meall a' Bhuiridh in Glencoe is easily skinable. I did it in a whiteout, so didn't fancy the extension to Creise, but reckon that would be doable as well.

The problem is always going to be getting the conditions right. We did a full traverse of the Central Fannaichs in the superb winter of 2010 (I think), but that would rarely be in condition.
Tim Chappell 15 Dec 2012
In reply to craigloon:

The Fannaichs are among my favourite hills of all. And that's saying something...
In reply to Tim Chappell: Lawers 7 traverse is a classic. NE slope of Lawers brilliant if the slope is safe. Cairngorms 4000s another obvious one- think we were about 10hrs so better later in the season. Blackmount traverse is on my hit list this year. That and a few more gullies and a trip to Lyngen in March i need to some more reasearch for.
 Denni 15 Dec 2012
In reply to graeme gatherer:

You could always go down number 5 gully!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX7OC2e3Fr4&list=UUFo3X9B7qmsDbfehWwM4ey...
In reply to Tim Chappell: I've done the Ben Lawyers 4 anti-clockwise on skis, that was awesome, huge descent, good mountaineering with skis on back around An Stuc. Have also done Lawyers and Corrainich on skis with a gnarly gully descent. Or try Braeriach etc. Or try the glenshee easterlies or for a great remote trip, Ben na Lap from Corrour Station. Or try the Easains. Or try any of the Southern Highland ones, accessible from A82. You have A LOT of choice here. Am getting interested in Corrour to Dalwhinnie on skis too.....
 DaveHK 15 Dec 2012
In reply to Denni:
> (In reply to graeme gatherer)
>
> You could always go down number 5 gully!
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX7OC2e3Fr4&list=UUFo3X9B7qmsDbfehWwM4ey...

Boot tracks at 15s in and ski tracks on way down are mine and French Erick's. Awesome day!
 Denni 15 Dec 2012
In reply to DaveHK:

Good stuff! Even if I were that good, I doubt I'd be that adventurous!

I don't know the chap but I know he is here on UKC and like his vids.
 DaveHK 15 Dec 2012
In reply to Denni:
>
> Good stuff! Even if I were that good, I doubt I'd be that adventurous!
>
> I don't know the chap but I know he is here on UKC and like his vids.

That was the day I was refering to further up the thread as probably my best ever. We skied most of Number 3 and Numbers 4 and 5 in their entirety. Other than the steep entries none of them were particularly hard to ski in the good conditions we had.

Scott is both keen and good whereas I am just keen!

Denni 15 Dec 2012
In reply to DaveHK:

Looks really good Dave. Only done a few basic tours and trying to get the time to get some more done and would love to be able to be good enough to be slightly more adventurous.

Difficult being a stay at home dad with a wife in the Navy who is away quite a lot and of course, living on the south coast!
 DaveHK 15 Dec 2012
In reply to Denni:
>
> Difficult being a stay at home dad with a wife in the Navy who is away quite a lot and of course, living on the south coast!

Ok, I can see how that might cramp your style. I live in Inverness and can get out whenever there is nick. Being a climber and confident on that kind of terrain makes a huge difference to tackling the steeper lines.
 Denni 15 Dec 2012
In reply to DaveHK:

Good old sneck, miss being in Scotland.

We are (or rather I'm angling) for us to move back to Scotland when the other half leaves the Navy in 5 odd years. I'm from Ft Bill and our house is in Cromarty so the ideal location for everything outdoorsy based.

Wouldn't mind a wee ski up Ben Wyvis at some point.
 DaveHK 15 Dec 2012
In reply to Denni:

Never had much luck with Wyvis. It seems to be either stripped by the wind or loaded by the wind.
In reply to Denni: Aye it's on the list too! Done Tower gully and no.4
Too many options here though it depends on whether climbing is on, partners available, weather etc.. time window too- i have kids to juggle as well so late season is good for the gullies- think we did Tower gully at about half seven in the evening
Tim Chappell 15 Dec 2012
In reply to Denni:

Wow. Head-cams rock for ski coverage. My kids have just watched about 5 of those and are demanding a skiing trip pronto!

I admire this skiing Nevis gullies malarkey, but I'm not trying it myself. Just watching those videos makes my thigh-brakes ache. When I've chuffed up to the top of the mountain, I want to enjoy the descent and take as long as I can over it, not wazz down the steepest hardest way. Just me, no doubt...
 Denni 15 Dec 2012

Hi Tim,
I watched the lot and since starting to get my touring kit together, I've watched even more and it just makes me more jealous!

My plan is to do simple stuff that is a bit of a workout followed by an easy ski down in not too demanding conditions, get better at it then take it from there.

So you're not the only one!" I think the hardest part is justifying the set up costs, second hand all the way :0)
 DaveHK 15 Dec 2012
> (In reply to Denni)
>
> >
> I admire this skiing Nevis gullies malarkey,

I think that when in good nick no4 is doable by any experienced and confident skier with a bit of mountain savvy.
Tim Chappell 15 Dec 2012
In reply to DaveHK:

I think I *could* ski No4. I'm not sure I'd rather waste all that descent on something really steep that I have to concentrate really hard for--when I could go down Maclean's Rise and the Red Burn, and just enjoy the view and the whoosh!
 DaveHK 15 Dec 2012

I can appreciate that point of view but the gullies are the draw for me being long (for Scotland) and brilliant lines.
Tim Chappell 15 Dec 2012
In reply to DaveHK:
> (being long (for Scotland)

They have longer ones in Norway, right?
In reply to Tim Chappell: Tim, Tower gully probably gives the same vertical (definitely late season) and probably takes a good bit longer too - we got to within a stone's throw of the CIC.

It's all good though. What about Glas maol if you're still in Dundee. Great slopes heading due south from the summit - 2-3km of knee deep powder after a northerly when we did it- skin back up then the west slopes(various lines) off of Glas Maol or Creag Leacach - again 2-3 km of good ski lines
Tim Chappell 15 Dec 2012

I've done Glas Maol from the back corrie of the ski centre: I just walked to the summit, then skied from there down the ridge that heads E, back towards the ski centre. It was utterly brilliant.

With a car/ bike in the right place you could, of course, keep going over Creag Leacach, right to the bottom of the Devil's Elbow. This plan is most definitely in my book...
In reply to Tim Chappell: Exactly. Need good cover down to the road ideally and 2 cars. My mate and i do this a couple of times every winter before work in the morning so long as there's perfect snow cover and totally clear over head.
Tim Chappell 15 Dec 2012

Yeah, I remember your reports of dashing up Clova before work

Skiing trips can be fitted in to small spaces, though. T'other day I left Dundee at 915, was on the summit of Cairn Gorm at 1, back at the car park at 4, and home again at 6. And Shee is a one-hour drive from Dundee, so if I'd gone there, I could have had a day which was 2 hrs shorter if I'd wanted/ needed one. Not that I was rushing particularly.
Tim Chappell 15 Dec 2012
Who here has skied the Monadhliath? Now there's a thought. All that empty space with no climbers in it... sounds great
 OwenM 16 Dec 2012
> Who here has skied the Monadhliath? Now theres a thought. All that empty space with no climbers in it... sounds great

Been there done that. From Newtonmore A Chailleach, Carn Sgulain and Carn Dearg make a nice circuit. Also Geal Charn from the dam on the Spey near Laggan Bridge. Did the first one on Nordic gear and the second on Alpine but you could use either for both tours.

The Grey Corries from Corriechoille is a fantastic tour. As is Ben Alder from Corrour Station.

There's stacks to do around Ben Lawers and Ben More (the one near Crianlarich).
 Mark Bull 16 Dec 2012
In reply to niallk:

> as does Chno Dearg (though there's another Munro you could combine that with the name of which escapes me right now).

Stob Coire Sgriodain, though it doesn't hold snow as well as Chno Dearg.
Can easily include the Top of Meall Garbh, though.

Mark Bull 16 Dec 2012

The West Drumochter round (Sgairneach Mor, Beinn Udlamain, A'Mharconaich) is worthwhile (in either direction).

From Glen Shee, Carn a'Gheoidh and An Socach is good, though uphill on the way back!

You can do a nice tour of Glas Maol, Cairn of Claise and Carn Tuirc from the wee car park about 1 mile north of the ski centre.
 Mark Bull 16 Dec 2012
> Who here has skied the Monadhliath?

Have done Geal Charn, A'Chailleach + Carn Sgulain, and Carn an Fhreiceadain. All good, though nothing very steep, which may or may not be to your taste!
 rif 16 Dec 2012
In reply to Tim Chappell, "where next?":
Almost anywhere you can conveniently reach from the Dundee area! Try to track down the old SMC guide for ideas. I skied a quarter of the Munros when I lived in Stirling and have a long list that I still want to do, despite being restricted by my choice of gear (skinny Nordic skis and light boots). As others have said Lawers is excellent, whether for the full traverse or shorter trips incorporating a descent off Lawers (either E back to the hotel, or N then W back to the visitor centre). Ben y Ghlo is a good standby, preferably descending by the double-S gully off BCCB. Stob Binnein and Ben More make a good day out, usually better starting from the N side. Skiing off Macdui into the Lairig Ghru is a must, also Braeriach by any combination of routes, and for that matter all of the higher Cairngorms. Further afield, Ben Alder and the Munros between it and the Laggan road are great ski hills, and the Blackmount traverse (Stob Gabhar to M a B) is another interesting trip if you don't mind a bit of a walk at start or end. And so on...

Rob F
Tim Chappell 16 Dec 2012
In reply to rif:

Oo. The Minigaig, and the Minigaig Corbetts!

All we need now is the right weather. Dammit.
 JCurrie 16 Dec 2012
Carn Aosda out to Carn an Righ is a good tour. Can include a number of optional munros on the way.
Jase
Tim Chappell 16 Dec 2012
In reply to JCurrie:

Thanks!

The weirdest thing: this forum turns out to be a much better place to discuss mountain-type topics than God-type topics
 Doug 16 Dec 2012
In reply to Tim Chappell: As already recommended, try & get hold of the SMC book, n my experence the routes in the east seem more often in condition so being Dundee based is fine Difficult to say whch was my best day's touring in Scotland, maybe the Cairngorm 4, maybe the Creag Meaghaidh circuit (although that's maybe as it was my last tour before moving to France

But any hill in the Cairngorms,Mounth, etc given good snow, is a good ski
Tim Chappell 16 Dec 2012
In reply to Doug:

Cheers, Doug. Do you ski the Alps these days instead? It's a tough life, but I suppose it has its compensations
 Mike-W-99 16 Dec 2012
Glen callater is good but a bike is handy for access. Plenty of tops and an grade 1 gully to descend.
Tim Chappell 16 Dec 2012
In reply to Mike_Watson_99:

It is a weird and perplexing fact that I've never yet been to Glen Callater. I've no idea why. You're so right-- I should fix this pronto. And on planks!
 rif 16 Dec 2012
Re the Mounth, I can recommend starting up Glas Maol and ending down the Ballochbuie woods -- but that was in a group with two cars, one each end, and it'd be harder work on your skis than mine. A good short trip is up Glas Maol and round to Carn an Tuirc, descending NW at first then following the stream round to the old bridge 2 km N of the ski area.
 Doug 16 Dec 2012
In reply to rif: I've done several variations on that, including 'detours' to the Stuie &/or Lochnagar - well recommended, but wait for snow at low levels to get the best out of the descent thru Ballochbuie

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...