UKC

DIY Plastic toe bales for crampons

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ron Walker 16 Dec 2012
Does anyone know if it is possible to get DIY replacement plastic bales and rivets for Grivel New Matic or Classic crampons.
I've used nylon neoprene straps in the past. It would be nice to use proper DIY plastic cradles other than sending them of to the Mountain Boot Company/Grivel to get them replaced.

Cheers Ron
 NottsRich 17 Dec 2012
In reply to Ron Walker: Modify one of those clippy things on bike pedals? The plastic cage ones your foot slides into.
In reply to Ron Walker:

I have an old pair of G12's, one side of the plastic toe bail broke in Canada (2000). I simply threaded 5mm cord through the hole in crampon frame, knotted it, tied the other end through the plasic ring, which you thread straps through. Apply a few wraps of duct tape to finish.

The tension between front posts and heel clip, keeps crampon onto boot sole, plastic toe piece non load bearing. I still wear them today (on certain routes).

Stuart
OP Ron Walker 17 Dec 2012
In reply to Stuart the postie:
> (In reply to Ron Walker)
>
> I have an old pair of G12's, one side of the plastic toe bail broke in Canada (2000). I simply threaded 5mm cord through the hole in crampon frame, knotted it, tied the other end through the plasic ring, which you thread straps through. Apply a few wraps of duct tape to finish.
>
> The tension between front posts and heel clip, keeps crampon onto boot sole, plastic toe piece non load bearing. I still wear them today (on certain routes).
>
> Stuart

Yes I agree and I've done something similar using neoprene crampon straps bolted through the front posts. I was wondering if something better was available at a reasonable price?

See https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-FTq64ByuKFA/UM-As1V2voI/AAAAAAAAEOQ/LkfL...

Cheers Ron

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...