UKC

Time for a new epic

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 climb the peak 17 Dec 2012
The pain from the last epic has been forgotten and only the glory remains,http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=525055&v=1#x7078491, time to start planning a new one.
With all the talk about doing these winter rounds in super fast times, i thought i'd try a long distance run. There's a 60 mile one from mancheester to sheffield in june,http://www.transpenninechallenge.com/?gclid=CMbcqqbBobQCFSbMtAodETsAOQ, which should give me plenty of time to train.
Any comments on how to train for this sort of thing?
 mountainbagger 18 Dec 2012
In reply to climb the peak:

How many miles a week do you average at the moment (if any)?
What's the furthest you've run before?

60 miles of running will hurt, I suspect a lot more than the 132 mile bike ride you did (good effort though)!
In reply to climb the peak: only get chance to run once or twice a week at the moment. Will usually do a six or seven mile run that takes me about an hour. Going to start running two or three times a week and then slowly increase the mileage
In reply to climb the peak: Never done a very long run, have done some long distance (30 mile) walks though
 Alex1 19 Dec 2012

To actually run 60 miles you need to massively up your mileage. Training will be lots of long runs on rough ground with hills. You would need to be running for several hours offroad every weekend as an absolute minimum. Obviously it might be possible to 'get round' on less but I don't really see the point of this approach.
 Simon Caldwell 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Alex1:
> You would need to be running for several hours offroad every weekend as an absolute minimum

I disagree. I've never done several hours offroad every weekend - once every 3 or 4 weeks max - but managed the Fellsman (not a great time, but top 30%). General fitness and good stamina is the most important thing, and you can get these with less training.

Of course if you want a really good time (or are doing something like the Old County Tops where speed is important to beat the cut off times) then a more dedicated training regime is probably essential.
 Run_Ross_Run 19 Dec 2012

I'd work on some core stuff as well. Get down the gym (if your not already) and see if you can get some workout sorted (google has loads).

I did similar, went from av 15km a week to a Mountain Marathon in just 3 and a bit weeks, and got round ok(ish). Long walks are good at the start of your training.

For me its was just not enough conditioning of my body that caused problems so I'd up ur run distance each week to get a few 40 mile runs in before the event.

How about doing a slightly shorter event in prep for the training? There plenty out there.

You'll love it though.

Good luck.
 mountainbagger 19 Dec 2012
In reply to climb the peak: sounds like you know what to do and you already do a bit of running which is good. Increasing your mileage gradually and, as others have said some longish runs over similar terrain to the event (i.e. not all on roads if you're training for an off-road event) would be good.

Agree with person who suggested doing shorter but similar events as part of the training. The whole race day routine is easier if you've done it before - you will make less mistakes around prep and nutrition, clothing/footwear, navigation (if applicable to your event) and other things which may ruin the whole thing even if you can handle the mileage.

Very exciting! I don't quite have the circumstances (children, work - boo!) to train for things longer than a marathon, so I'm a little bit jealous. Good luck!
In reply to climb the peak: Thanks for the advice. I've decided to aim for a more realistic cross country marathon (26 miles). If this goes well then next year I will up the game and do the 60 mile run.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...