UKC

Ice Screw Reviews

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 london_huddy 31 Jul 2003
http://www.climbing.com/equipment/icescrews217/index1.html
Black Diamond Turbo Express, $52.50
5.7 ounces for 16-centimeter size
Sizes: 10, 13, 16, 19, 22 centimeters
Summary: The Turbo Express was one of the earliest screws to incorporate a speed-drive gizmo, and it’s still one of the best. The screw grabbed the ice quickly and, thanks to BD’s unique external geometry, spun in and out with minimal friction. The flip-down action of the knob kept the screw from tangling on the rack or fouling with the quickdraw once the leader had moved past, and the color-coded knobs make the different lengths easy to identify. The hanger is the only shortcoming: Although it offers decent clearance, at belays we wished it could accept more than one biner, and BD should consider softening up the hanger’s sharp edges (although this is more of an issue for BD’s Turbo model screw without the speed knob). Overall, the Turbo Express is one of the best-performing screws on the market, and, the price is quite competitive.
Pros: Excellent all-around performance. Clean design: speed-drive knob folds down. Color-coded knobs.
Cons: Hanger only accepts one carabiner.
Overall grade: A

www.bdel.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cassin Thunderlight
(distributed by Climb Axe) $50
3.8 ounces for 18-centimeter size
Sizes: 12, 18 centimeters
Summary: The only aluminum model (shaft and hanger) in this review, the Thunderlight is aptly named, tipping the scales at less than four ounces for the 18-centimeter length. The stainless steel teeth grafted to the end of the aluminum tube are hard and sharp, but the thick-walled material made it difficult to get this screw started and created a lot more friction in hard ice than slimmer, all-steel designs. The aluminum hanger, although nicely color coded, was also problematic: It offered very little clearance and had only one small carabiner hole, which made cranking on the screw with an ice tool more difficult. The larger bore was also more reluctant to surrender its core.
Pros: Ultra light. Color-coded hangers.
Cons: Hard to start. Lots of friction. No speed-drive system. Poor hanger design.
Overall Grade: C

www.climbaxe.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Charlet Moser Laser
(distributed by Petzl) $40
6 ounces for 18-centimeter size
Sizes: 9, 13, 18 centimeters
Summary: Considering the lack of a mechanical speed-drive system, the Laser is a solid performer. The big teeth chew in quickly for fast, one-handed starting. With the rounded end abutting your palm, the hanger can be used almost like a continuous-motion handle to spin the screw, and the bend in the hanger provides excellent clearance. Friction was low during screwing and removal, the ice core came out upon demand, and another plus — the hanger sports two separate carabiner holes. It all adds up to a solid screw.
Pros: Starts quickly. Hanger is glove friendly and has good clearance.
Cons: No speed-drive system.
Overall Grade: B

www.petzl.com

Grivel 360° $58.50
6.6 ounces for 17-centimeter size
Sizes: 12, 17, 22 centimeters
Summary: Grivel has come up with a unique screw design, replacing the traditional lever-style hanger with a close-in hanger sporting a folding wire handle. The handle pivots outward for easy, continuous cranking irrespective of pesky ice texture. For this reason, the 360° is the only screw in this review that could be placed in corners or pockets. Relocating the clip-in point closer to the screw’s main axis also prevents the hanger from levering against the tube. The screw started easily and cranked almost effortlessly, due in large part to the leverage of the handle, and — to a lesser extent — Grivel’s inverted thread design (the threads flange outward instead of inward). Ice cores popped out with blowgun ease. The downside is that this screw is heavy, expensive, and bulky. It’s harder to rack and the handle often ended up poking out from the ice like a four-inch hook. Still, with the most innovative and easy-to-place design we tested, the 360° was a review favorite.
Pros: Innovative speed-drive handle. Unique hanger design allows placement in tight quarters. Excellent all-around performance. Color-coded knobs.
Cons: Heavy. Expensive. Bulky handle can snag on rope or gear.
Overall Grade: A

www.grivelnorthamerica.com

Stubai Sigma
(distributed by Liberty Mountain/ABC) $61
4.8 ounces for 17-centimeter size
Sizes: 12, 17, 22 centimeters
Summary: The Sigma Ice Screw was the lightest and cleanest of the no-frills designs we used. The hanger edges are nicely rounded and smoothed, something we appreciated when spinning the screw in or out against a gloved palm. The lack of a speed-drive knob is surprising, especially considering the price. Despite this, the Sigma performed very well, starting easily, turning in and out with very little friction, and spitting out its ice core with minimal persuasion. Another bonus is the brightly colored size-coded hangers, which make identification on the rack fast and foolproof. Overall, we found the Sigma screw to be very well made and an excellent performer, but also very pricey.
Pros: Clean design. Starts well. Low friction. Color-coded hangers.
Cons: Very expensive. No speed-drive system.
Overall Grade: B+

www.advancedbasecamp.com
andC 31 Jul 2003
In reply to hindu: The turbo express is very good highly recomend
OP london_huddy 31 Jul 2003
In reply to andC: i put this up because it's a well informed and well researched review AND at about this time of year (well, normally a bit after ) people start the Express VS 360 debate. Versaility VS Racking really.

I'm a 360 man as we all know! as with all ice gear whatever you buy you'll love.
xray 01 Aug 2003
In reply to hindu: ok, ok, a summer without ice and snow and we have to think positive. I'll help you with the start of the debat...

360? Cons: Heavy. Expensive. Bulky handle can snag on rope or gear. And that's why I just take one with me for the pockets and difficult placements. For all the other: BD Turbo express
James Jackson 01 Aug 2003
In reply to hindu:

I used some random Camp screw whilst teaching some people how to set up hauling systems about a month ago.

Talk about a surface as smooth as a, well, unsmooth thing. I had to put my axe pick in the hanger to spanner it in.

I find a sling in the hanger instead of a single crab gives you much more flexiblity, whatever the screw...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...