UKC

Windproof Gilet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 martinph78 17 Dec 2012
Hi all,

Just after a recommendation for a cheap (£20 ish or less if possible!) windproof gilet for jogging. Often wished that I had when mountain biking and now I'm running as well I think it is about time I got one.

Hi-viz is a bonus as I'd probably wear it for extra vizibility when commuting (over my black waterproof jacket!). I am impressed with pertex for it's windproof and breathable properties but don't think I can afford that right now.

Anyone picked up an Aldi bargain they are happy with for example? So long as it keeps the wind off and I don't sweat like I'm in a bin liner I'll be happy Oh, and somewhere to put my keys would be a bonus!!

I have loads of technical clothing for mountain biking and climbing so know that there's no point me getting a waterproof or long sleeves for running as I'll sweat too much.

Cheers, Martin
Removed User 17 Dec 2012
In reply to Martin1978:
have you tried sports direct, they seem to have a wide range of karrimor running clothing, not overly windproof as had a running jacket, thus for winter running I wear another short sleeved base layer
hope it helps
seb
OP martinph78 18 Dec 2012
In reply to Removed Usersebastian74: Thanks Seb, I was in there the other day and they had a few jackets (don't know if they were windproof or not). Didn't see a gilet though.

I shall try wearing two tech t-shirts, or one over a long sleeved baselayer in the colder weather.

Thanks for the suggestion.
 The New NickB 18 Dec 2012
In reply to Martin1978:

The Aldi stuff when they have it in is very good quality for the price, loads of people at my club use it. I am sure the gillets are fine, but I haven't tried one, their running socks are as good as any I have tried at any price.

The Sports Direct Karrimor stuff is crap.
OP martinph78 18 Dec 2012
In reply to The New NickB: Will keep my eye on the Aldi leaflets. Cheers. Martin
 Ridge 18 Dec 2012
In reply to Martin1978:
Berghaus outlet in gretna was selling windproof gilets at £20 at while back. Pertex(ish) with a fine mesh back and a couple of pockets. Might be available on line.
 Sharp 18 Dec 2012
In reply to Martin1978: Have you been into TK Maxx for a look? There's usually running stuff in there and sometimes windproof jackets so cheap you wouldn't mind cutting the arms off.
 Wilbur 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Martin1978:

I've been using this for running at zero C which is 20 over your budget currently but it's excellent and montane stuff can often be found reduced

http://www.jackson-sports.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8312&utm_source=Googl...
 Wilbur 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Wilbur:

Ps: packs down to the size of a small plum
OP martinph78 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Ridge:
> (In reply to Martin1978)
> Berghaus outlet in gretna was selling windproof gilets at £20 at while back. Pertex(ish) with a fine mesh back and a couple of pockets. Might be available on line.

There's a Berghaus outlet not so far from me actually. I shall make a detour and have a look when I'm next out! If they have some for £20 I'll be well pleased. Thanks

OP martinph78 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Martin1978: Never thought of TK Max (mostly because I hate the store and don't go in). I shall have a look though, not been in for a few years.

I was just looking at the slipstream gillet, saw one for £19.99 on google, but obviously sold out and only XXL! Looks just the job but I can't afford anything much more than £20. I've shelved teh turkey for Xmas to be able to afford that

Thanks for teh suggestions. Fingers crossed the Berghaus outlet has something in for the right money.
 Dave Todd 19 Dec 2012
In reply to SFM:

The Decathlon gilet is a good, cheap gilet but it does have a full-length mesh back, meaning that it's only windproof if you're running into the wind. If you're running with a trailing wind then you get very little protection.

(Written as a cold-backed owner of said gilet!)
OP martinph78 20 Dec 2012
In reply to Martin1978: The Berghaus store was a fail, in that they didn't have my size. They did have a long sleeved one, but the sleeves were too small to roll up (bargain price though!) Tried the Nike, Reebok and New Balance stores as well, neither did gillets!!

I also thought the same when I saw the mesh backs so I think I'd rather a full back.

Don't have a Decathlon near to me.

I am heading over the Lake District next week I think so I'll see what's about there I guess. I can see me getting fed-up with looking and getting the Montane. Will have to see what I can sell to "make room" for it

tony 20 Dec 2012
In reply to Martin1978:

Have a look on Wiggle. They have some gilets, of assorted quality and price, in both the running and cycling sections.
OP martinph78 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Martin1978: I ended up buying the Berghaus jacket today, same as the montane featherlite (super light and packable, windproof, breathable and dwr) but half the price at the outlet store (I paid £26 for it!)

I figured that at the price and pack size if it wasn't right for running it would be ok for other stuff short/fast evening biking/hillwalking etc. Might even make a decent belay jacket oer a microfleece for a lightweight set-up.

Anyway, went running in it this afternoon and it's ok! Arms were a bit damp from sweat but otherwise it breathes very well and kept the damp/chill off.

I will get a gilet when I see one on sale somewhere, but this will do for a multitude of sports and really bad running weather.

Cheers for the help all.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...