/ Windproof Gilet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
martinph78 on 17 Dec 2012
Hi all,

Just after a recommendation for a cheap (£20 ish or less if possible!) windproof gilet for jogging. Often wished that I had when mountain biking and now I'm running as well I think it is about time I got one.

Hi-viz is a bonus as I'd probably wear it for extra vizibility when commuting (over my black waterproof jacket!). I am impressed with pertex for it's windproof and breathable properties but don't think I can afford that right now.

Anyone picked up an Aldi bargain they are happy with for example? So long as it keeps the wind off and I don't sweat like I'm in a bin liner I'll be happy Oh, and somewhere to put my keys would be a bonus!!

I have loads of technical clothing for mountain biking and climbing so know that there's no point me getting a waterproof or long sleeves for running as I'll sweat too much.

Cheers, Martin
sebastian74 - on 17 Dec 2012
In reply to Martin1978:
have you tried sports direct, they seem to have a wide range of karrimor running clothing, not overly windproof as had a running jacket, thus for winter running I wear another short sleeved base layer
hope it helps
seb
martinph78 on 18 Dec 2012
In reply to sebastian74: Thanks Seb, I was in there the other day and they had a few jackets (don't know if they were windproof or not). Didn't see a gilet though.

I shall try wearing two tech t-shirts, or one over a long sleeved baselayer in the colder weather.

Thanks for the suggestion.
The New NickB - on 18 Dec 2012
In reply to Martin1978:

The Aldi stuff when they have it in is very good quality for the price, loads of people at my club use it. I am sure the gillets are fine, but I haven't tried one, their running socks are as good as any I have tried at any price.

The Sports Direct Karrimor stuff is crap.
martinph78 on 18 Dec 2012
In reply to The New NickB: Will keep my eye on the Aldi leaflets. Cheers. Martin
Ridge - on 18 Dec 2012
In reply to Martin1978:
Berghaus outlet in gretna was selling windproof gilets at £20 at while back. Pertex(ish) with a fine mesh back and a couple of pockets. Might be available on line.
Ben Sharp - on 18 Dec 2012
In reply to Martin1978: Have you been into TK Maxx for a look? There's usually running stuff in there and sometimes windproof jackets so cheap you wouldn't mind cutting the arms off.
Wilbur - on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Martin1978:

I've been using this for running at zero C which is 20 over your budget currently but it's excellent and montane stuff can often be found reduced

http://www.jackson-sports.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8312&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping...
Wilbur - on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Wilbur:

Ps: packs down to the size of a small plum ;o)
martinph78 on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Ridge:
> (In reply to Martin1978)
> Berghaus outlet in gretna was selling windproof gilets at £20 at while back. Pertex(ish) with a fine mesh back and a couple of pockets. Might be available on line.

There's a Berghaus outlet not so far from me actually. I shall make a detour and have a look when I'm next out! If they have some for £20 I'll be well pleased. Thanks

martinph78 on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Martin1978: Never thought of TK Max (mostly because I hate the store and don't go in). I shall have a look though, not been in for a few years.

I was just looking at the slipstream gillet, saw one for £19.99 on google, but obviously sold out and only XXL! Looks just the job but I can't afford anything much more than £20. I've shelved teh turkey for Xmas to be able to afford that ;)

Thanks for teh suggestions. Fingers crossed the Berghaus outlet has something in for the right money.
SFM - on 19 Dec 2012
Dave Todd - on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to SFM:

The Decathlon gilet is a good, cheap gilet but it does have a full-length mesh back, meaning that it's only windproof if you're running into the wind. If you're running with a trailing wind then you get very little protection.

(Written as a cold-backed owner of said gilet!)
martinph78 on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to Martin1978: The Berghaus store was a fail, in that they didn't have my size. They did have a long sleeved one, but the sleeves were too small to roll up (bargain price though!) Tried the Nike, Reebok and New Balance stores as well, neither did gillets!!

I also thought the same when I saw the mesh backs so I think I'd rather a full back.

Don't have a Decathlon near to me.

I am heading over the Lake District next week I think so I'll see what's about there I guess. I can see me getting fed-up with looking and getting the Montane. Will have to see what I can sell to "make room" for it ;)

tony on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to Martin1978:

Have a look on Wiggle. They have some gilets, of assorted quality and price, in both the running and cycling sections.
ads.ukclimbing.com
martinph78 on 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Martin1978: I ended up buying the Berghaus jacket today, same as the montane featherlite (super light and packable, windproof, breathable and dwr) but half the price at the outlet store (I paid £26 for it!)

I figured that at the price and pack size if it wasn't right for running it would be ok for other stuff short/fast evening biking/hillwalking etc. Might even make a decent belay jacket oer a microfleece for a lightweight set-up.

Anyway, went running in it this afternoon and it's ok! Arms were a bit damp from sweat but otherwise it breathes very well and kept the damp/chill off.

I will get a gilet when I see one on sale somewhere, but this will do for a multitude of sports and really bad running weather.

Cheers for the help all.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.