ROCKTALK forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Do you climb or are you a climber?

robjob - on 17 Dec 2012
Evening all, had some interesting reflections on climbing a motivation recently and others view of climbing. For those who have every read any of my recent tweets or posts will know that I now split my year out here in Bolivia in a little city where there is a small core of climbers (I mean small - like 6-10 people in the whole city)

This is where I am puzzled by the others, I am fantastically motivated and always have been, in fact I have just got back in from a tiny little crag that I have been cleaning lines one and shunting a couple of new routes. However the others are happy to potter away, doing the same sport routes and certainly are not bothered to learn tradding and search out new routes. They have about the same amount of free time each week as me but if i can get them to climb about once in every two weeks I'm lucky. (hence my rather close relationship with my shunt)

I therefore got thinking, I am most defiantly a climber, always have been, every day I am obsessed buy it, I want to seek out new routes, I want to get better and with everything I do/eat/choose I think "how will this affect my climbing"

The others are what I would describe as people who enjoy climbing but its not their life.

Not saying it is wrong (it is a little frustrating for me- lack of motivated partners is holding me back a little) but it is confusing. The potential for adventure and climbing fun over here is amazing (just 2 hrs away from here is an untouched valley I found with more rock than 10 langdales) but they just don't seem bothered.

So what do you reckon, are you a climber... or do you just climb?
... not showing 27 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums