Gear forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Nikwax Glove Proof, does it work?

Taurig - on 19 Dec 2012
A couple of weekends ago I was bashing up a Munro; that Saturday where it started to thaw and it was quite drizzly. Anyway, although I never expect to stay completely dry when there is water falling on me, I was pretty disappointed with my ME Guide gloves. A steady drizzle, and the occasional dip into the snow was enough to saturate them, as in small puddles in the finger tips. I've since found a few comments along the same lines around the internet regarding these gloves. Before now I'd only used them on cold, dry snowy days and had been pretty pleased with them.

I am loath to chuck what were my go-to gloves onto the back up pile, so I'm considering trying Nikwax Glove Proof on them. Is this stuff any good? Is it just a DWR coating (not sure that would do much), or is it closer to Nikwaxing a pair of leather boots? Basically, is it likely to make a substantial difference to the moisture level in my gloves over a few hours?

I've also been considering a pair of insulated leather gloves (Chamonix binman gloves, whatever), as they can be found quite cheap. Coated in Glove Proof, how waterproof would these be? Enough for a day in sleet and wet snow, or better suited to the cold and dry of Chamonix?

Cheers
... not showing 17 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums