/ What size of Scarpa Phantom Guide to choose

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mike.gore - on 19 Dec 2012
Hello
My foot is about 268 mm long and ~104mm wide.
I have narrow feet.
Can you advise me what size of Scarpa Phantom Guide should I buy? Or maybe between what sizes should I choose?

What are You feet sizes/Phantom sizes?
Mike
tom84 - on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to mike.gore:

you need to try them on. ive got narrow feet- my boots are la sportiva.
Pritchard - on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to mike.gore:

Boots are made on 'lasts' of foot shapes with little regard to specific measurements. If you asked a manufacturer the internal dimensions of a size 10 I doubt they could tell you.

I have wide feet and am also looking at Sportiva, it depends on the model. I have even experienced differences of the same size and model boot one pair to another (scarpa mantas in that case) as a lot of them are still hand made and can differ slightly.

As you can imagine this is all pointing to the fact you need to try them on, particularly with winter boots, it's a very expensive mistake if you get it wrong.

Craig.
CurlyStevo - on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Pritchard:
I think the cumbre / freney / jorasses / mont blanc tend to be wider than the trango / nepal etc
CurlyStevo - on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to mike.gore:
If you possibly can I'd try several B3 boots on before buying a pair.
Gazlynn - on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to mike.gore:

I got narrow feet and the phantom guides where the best fitting boots of the lot when I was looking for new winter boots.

I take an 8 to 8.5 in normal day to day shoes.

My 42.5 phantom guides fit me perfect.

As everyone else has mentioned though it's a expensive mistake if you get it wrong and the best bet is to try them on.

cheers

Gaz
mike.gore - on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to mike.gore:

Hey I just tried them on today.
I'm debating now on 42 and 42.5 size.
What I've noticed is that both sizes have the same length of the insole however the 42.5 is overall slightly longer.

42:
With one thick sock - PERFECT heel fit. I feel like they are just normal walking boots.
BUT my one foot is slightly longer than the other and I can clearly feel that my big toe bumps the inner side (end) of the boot. I feel that even without walking. Its not pain but I just feel it. When I hit the ground with the boot on my foot I feel pain after 2nd , 3rd hit. Im afraid that this will cause the pain during descents and my foot become cold quickly.

42.5:
I don't feel the end of the boot with my toes as I felt in 42.
When I hit the ground 2nd,3rd hit is ok, maybe feel a little bit something but its not the pain which I felt in 42.
BUT 42.5 dont have that great fit in the heel. When I wear one thick sock my heels tend to move up and down a bit. However I tried to but second sock - a thinner coolmax sock under the thick one and the heel fit is better.
Unfortunate they feel a little bit wider than 42 and my feet are quite narrow.
I know that if I have a slightly bigger boot - I can always do something about it but with a boot too small - there's nothing I can do..

So therefore = I am rather into 42.5 (but I regret that my heel had such a great fit in 42)

- Do You think the 42 is too small?
- What is the best 'two sock system' I ve never wore 2 socks - do feet become more sweaty when weraing two socks? (eg one thinner with coolmax second thick woolen sock)

Gazlynn - what length of foot do You have? Do You feel the inside end of the boot with Your big toe while walking? And when You hit the ground with the boot on will You feel any discomfort / pain after 2 nd, 3rg hit?

Gazlynn - on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to mike.gore:

I could put my foot into a 42 no problems and didn't even feel my foot touching the inside of the boot, but like you when I kicked the kick board at the shop I could feel my big and 2nd toe hitting the end of the boot. That in my mind was a definite no - no.

One of the reasons I chose the phantom guides is the lacing system on them reduced the heel lift to virtually none in the 42.5s.

HTH

I will attempt to measure my foot and give you the results tomorrow.

cheers

Gaz

mike.gore - on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to Gazlynn:

thanks!
and by the way - I found that the laces are unlacing themselves pretty easly. Do You have any special lacing system so they stay laced for longer period of time?
dougyt26 - on 21 Dec 2012
In reply to mike.gore: I had the same problem in the end i piked the larger of the two sizes my laces look like they will not stay but they do on my phantom ultras.
mike.gore - on 24 Dec 2012
In reply to mike.gore:

so Gazlynn have You measured you feet ?
Gazlynn - on 02 Jan 2013
In reply to mike.gore:

Hi Mike sorry about not replying any earlier.

I have traced around my foot and these are the measurements :-

top of front toe to bottom of heel just a smidge under 26 cm

across the ball of the foot 10cm
across the heel just over 7 cm

Hope this helps

Gaz
Pritchard - on 02 Jan 2013
In reply to mike.gore:

Sounds like you need the bigger ones. Imagine front pointing and kicking all day with your toes at the end... I heard lots of stories a out people losing toe nails in boots too small... If your feeling the end in a 42 they sound way too small. You could try other boots too? They might even fit better, no heel lift and enough toe room..

Craig.
Gazlynn - on 03 Jan 2013
In reply to mike.gore:

Another thing that I forgot to mention is that I use Sorbothane heat moulded insoles in my guides and not the original insoles that came with the boots.

cheers

Gaz

Rockmonkey1977 on 04 Jan 2013
In reply to mike.gore: I've just bought a pair of Phantom Ultra's having spent a lot of time with a very knowledgable sales guy. He was very much of the opinion that you're better of going slightly big rather than slightly small as too big can be fixed with insoles, two pairs of socks etc. Too small and you're gonna be in trouble! Once i'd bought them he told me to wear them about the house as much as possible but the best thing to do is take them to the gym and try them on a stair machine and treadmill (about 20mins on each)- that way you should identify any issues and still be able to return them if you do. Just be ready to sweat your b@ll*cks off wearing mountaineering boots and socks indoors!! But i'll echo what everyone else says and recommend going to a shop and trying different pairs on first. Also from what I understand Scarpa Phantoms have a fairly wide fit so the new La Sportiva Batura 2.0 may suit you better. I haven't tried the Guides but the Ultra's are definitely wider than Batura 2.0's... One last point- the sales guy showed me the foot measuring device and the difference between a 42&43 was very small so the difference between a 42&42.5 will be a thin pair of socks. Hope that in some way helps.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Rockmonkey1977 on 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Rockmonkey1977: A quick edit to my above- i've just realised you have tried some on so ignore that comment. Out of interest I just measured my foot and it was pretty much bang on 26cm long and 9.5cm wide across the ball. I've been to numerous climbing shops and they've all said I have slightly broad feet so its interesting you think you have narrow feet given your measurements. Is this something you've been told previously?
Given your measurements I think you'd find the Batura 2.0 a bit tight across the toes but don't quote me. I bought a size43 in the end by the way...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.