UKC

Emergency survival bag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ajsaddacs 19 Dec 2012
Hi,
I want to buy one of these mainly for use in the winter. Can you recommend one that is good to buy. I would like something light, but then I don't want a bag that is insufficient for the task.

Alastair
 thin bob 19 Dec 2012
In reply to ajsaddacs:
The orange plastic ones are useful. The foil ones are flimsy and flap about, so you don't trap any (warm) air.
Blizzard bags are supposed to be OK, although at 10 times the price. They are re-usable, though.
 Guy Hurst 19 Dec 2012
In reply to ajsaddacs: The Adventure Medical Kits emergency bivvy is pretty good -- very light and compact, but doesn't rip anywhere like as easily as some of the foil blanket ones. The Blizzard Bag is also verry good -- it gives real insulation, rather than just cutting out the wind and reflecting a bit of body heat -- but it's much heavier, bulkier and more expensive than the AMK bag.
In reply to ajsaddacs: It really depends what scenario you envisage you might encounter, which you don't say.

That can potentially vary, depending on what activity you are doing (walking, ski touring or climbing), whether you are going solo, in a pair or in a group and in what capacity you are doing it (recreationally or professionally).

However, in pretty much every scenario I would pack a group shelter as my primary emergency equipment (unless carrying tents and sometime even then).

In addition to that I, if I was not carrying a proper (goretex etc.) bivvy bag with or without a sleeping bag, I would generally carry one of the two items that have already been recommended:
Adventure Medical Kits emergency bivvy
Blizzard Bag foil sleeping bag

So:
Going climbing as a pair, I'd take a 2-man group shelter and have an AMK emergency bivvy in my first aid kit.
If going out in a group, I'd take a larger group shelter (if not two) plus either a Blizzard Bag or proper bivvy bag and sleeping bag.
 Up High 20 Dec 2012
In reply to ajsaddacs: Blizzard bag every time, absolutely brilliant piece of kit, also a group shelter is excellent.
These two items are in the region of Bizzard bag £30 (get the bag not the blanket) Shelter £35
It will be the best £65 youve spent when you are freezing your nuts off with out them wondering if your gonna survive the night!
 Reach>Talent 20 Dec 2012
In reply to ajsaddacs:
Blizzard bags are great but pricey, orange plastic sacks are less good but cheap.

Orange plastic sacks make good sledges.*

* I accept no responsibility for any injury or loss caused by this advice.
 Monk 20 Dec 2012
In reply to ajsaddacs:
> Hi,
> I want to buy one of these mainly for use in the winter. Can you recommend one that is good to buy. I would like something light, but then I don't want a bag that is insufficient for the task.
>
> Alastair

Those orange plastic bags are not really going to add much protection for the weight of them, but do make great sledges (and body bags, according to at least one morbid MRT member I know). I have a very light 2-man shelter that I would rate over the orange bag every time. I do also carry a foil blanket, as although they have their limitations, they are incredibly light and will add some good warmth when you are in a sheltered spot.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...