UKC

Cogne best time for ice routes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pete_Frost 19 Dec 2012
Any idea when the ice routes in Cogne are at their best, and how reliable the conditions are? (i.e. what are my chances of spending a week stuck in the hotel doing nothing?)
 AdrianC 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Pete_Frost: Jan - Feb seems to be a pretty reliable time. Chances of a week of doing nothing = close to zero, I'd have thought. It's not in Scotland, you know.
OP Pete_Frost 19 Dec 2012
In reply to AdrianC:
Cheers! That should silence my sceptical climbing partner...
Any route recommendations?
 Dave Williams 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Pete_Frost:

Early season conditions are already good there: http://www.iceclimbingcogne.com/

Dave
OP Pete_Frost 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Dave Williams:
Excellent link - many thanks!
In reply to Pete_Frost:

In the last few years mid February has been the safest choice (normally dry weather, reasonably cold and good ice). However. there's no guarantee for that of course! Also, remember that weekends in February may be very busy because of local traffic.
 The Grist 20 Dec 2012
In reply to Pete_Frost: I have found the first week in February to be a safe bet. I have been 5 seperate trips in that period and never had a bad week.
 CurlyStevo 20 Dec 2012
In reply to Luca Signorelli:
Last year it went downhill around mid to late feb though didn't it? I remember I was waiting for conditions to get worthwhile in Scotland with Cogne as my back up plan and Scotland got too warm around that time, unfortunately from the forecasts I was reading Cogne did at the same time also
 CurlyStevo 20 Dec 2012
In reply to CurlyStevo:
This year I'm prioritising Cogne / La Garve as I think its a far better bet!
 9fingerjon 20 Dec 2012
In reply to Pete_Frost:
You're pretty safe in early feb - I think the 3 times I've been have all been within Feb.
Twice we had great conditions. The other time there were enough routes in condition at our grade for the week. But some of the things we wanted to try weren't in.
OP Pete_Frost 20 Dec 2012
In reply to Pete_Frost: Thanks, this is great advice. My climbing partner now can't make it until late Feb. Is it still worth going for it, or is there somewhere with more reliable conditions at that time?
OP Pete_Frost 22 Dec 2012
Thanks again to everyone who replied to this thread. I'm now looking for recommendations on where to stay. Somewhere with a drying room, or facilities to dry kit is a must, and I'd prefer a place with single rooms rather than shared dorms. After that, I'll consider anything.
 9fingerjon 22 Dec 2012
In reply to Pete_Frost: The latest I've been is 20-24th Feb. But that time conditions were excellent and good for a few more weeks after. I think it can vary a lot from one year to the next though.
I've stayed in both the residences Nigritelles - very spacious apartments with cooking facillities and good buffet breakfasts and the more expensive hotel la Balme which was half board with amazing portions for dinner. I'd stay at either again.
 Graeme Barr 22 Dec 2012
In reply to Gustav: +1 for La Barme.
In reply to Pete_Frost: Just got back from a week there - conditions were amazing and the weather superb.

Hotel La Barme is great if you want a hotel/feeding. The owners also have apartments in Cogne (main village, La Barme is in Valnontey) which are like hotel rooms but with kitchens - http://www.residencechateauroyal.com - lovely people and a decent, updated log book
 Dave Williams 23 Dec 2012
In reply to cmaradcliffe:

Thanks for the very encouraging update on conditions as we'll be there in less than 3 weeks time. We're also breaking the s/c habit of a lifetime by going for the full La Barme experience so thanks too for your comments re. the Herren family.

Dave
OP Pete_Frost 24 Dec 2012
Cheers - excellent and very helpful info! If anyone else has a perspective on this I'd be pleased to read it.
 Tom W 24 Dec 2012
In reply to Dave Williams:

We go to La Balme on Jan 14th, maybe see you there! Can't wait

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...