UKC

New sleeping bag. Advice please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Matt Amos 20 Dec 2012
I'm looking at vango venom 300 or 400, rab ascent 500 and Alpkit pd400. Any advice anyone. They're all roughly around the same price and similar specs. Which one should I get? Any obvious ones I've missed out. They're all about £150 except the vango which is a but cheaper.
thanks
 Nath 20 Dec 2012
In reply to matta: Where are you planning to use your bag?

Nath
 peas65 20 Dec 2012
In reply to matta:

Personally ou of the 4 i would spend slightly more and avoid the vango ones, might just be me being snobbish though. Plenty of the vango stuff we use at work doesnt ether last that long or offer what it promises.

I have a rab ascent 500 and its an amazing bag, kept me warm in freezing conditions in africa, it packs really small and is pretty light. A perfect 3 season bag really.

The alpkit ones are meant to be really good too though i dont own one.
 ianstevens 20 Dec 2012
In reply to matta: Considere the Marmot Sawtooth? Have a little search and you can find one for £155. (Hint: http://www.e-outdoor.co.uk/441891/products/Marmot_Sawtooth_Regular_Down_Sle...

Top notch bag, never (and I mean never) let me down. Yeah it's a little warmer than what you're looking at, but a little more comfort is no bad thing. Does weigh a few hundred grams more though.
OP Matt Amos 20 Dec 2012
In reply to matta: Thanks guys. I looked at the sawtooth but a bit warm. Its really for hiking and bivvying all year and into the frosty season. I also saw the rab neutrinos but that is a bit too pricey!
 roperat 21 Dec 2012
In reply to matta:

I've had 2 of the Vango Venom 2 season bags (the 200, I think)and have had no problems.The first lasted 4 years of fairly regular use and is still good for summer use and the newer one is a year old and coped with close to freezing temperatures in Yorkshire a couple of weekends ago.
In reply to matta: I've got a spare Vango 300 sitting around at home. Not back there until the New Year, but I'd be happy to sell it. Email me either now or in January if you are interested.

My main bag is a RAB Quantum 400 (not sure if they are still made) but it has been great.
Kevin Rutherford 21 Dec 2012
In reply to matta: Got this deals email through this morning, might be worth a look.
http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=products.list&query...
 Lee Sutcliffe 21 Dec 2012
In reply to matta:
I have an Alpkit PD400 and It's great - only problem is the length. At 6'1 I'm using the full length of the bag - wouldn't want to be any taller!
In reply to matta: The Marmot Sawtooth is £120 down from £220 at Cotswold online. A no brainer, surely?
 Iain Thow 21 Dec 2012
In reply to matta: I've been using a Rab Ascent for years, stood up to heavy use in Scotland & the Alps, pretty light & crushable. Excellent kit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...