UKC

Carn Vellan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Elrond 20 Dec 2012
Is the main overhang at Carn Vellan currently bolted? Or have the bolts just been chopped again? If they have, then why?
 Tom Last 20 Dec 2012
In reply to Shadowmaster:

Chopped I understand, in accordance with the vote held at the meeting held spring 2011.
OP Elrond 20 Dec 2012
In reply to Southern Man:

Do you know why they were chopped though? That just seems totally unreasonable as far more people are likely to try an 8a or 8b sport route than an E10 trad route!
 Tom Last 20 Dec 2012

Well, where to begin. There was a great long thread concerning this and other doings in West Cornwall a couple of years back, I'll see if I can find it.

The reason being that for various reasons, the majority don't want to see bolts on any sea cliff in Cornwall.

There were two main votes, one for a moratorium on any further fixed gear on Cornish Sea Cliffs, the other for chopping the bolts. Both were carried.
OP Elrond 20 Dec 2012

Thanks for that. Certainly a lot of it all!
 Tom Last 20 Dec 2012

No problem, yeah I'm sure the Magna Carta amounts to less!
OP Elrond 20 Dec 2012

Shane Ohly's main argument appears to be pretty much that if Carn vellan is bolted, other crags will follow on too. Surely Carn Vellan can be bolted without resorting to bolting other major crags in the area? Can no agreement be reached that only Carn Vellan is to be bolted?

Tom Last 20 Dec 2012

I don't think there was any motion tabled by those in favour for Carn Vellan to be the exclusive bolted sea cliff in Cornwall, so no vote was taken to that effect.

Besides, Carn Vellan was encompased by the vote to remove all drilled protection from Cornish sea cliffs (28 votes to 15).

I doubt you'll find much enthusiasm for another debate/vote so soon after the last one. But who knows, climbers do love to chat!

http://community.thebmc.co.uk/Event.aspx?id=492

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...