UKC

Small steel self-locking krab?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tehmarks 21 Dec 2012
Best not to ask why (it's for a friend who needs it for a very specific purpose), but I'm looking for a small (WC Oxygen screwgate-size) steel self-locking krab - and (unsurprisingly) haven't had much look so far. Is there such a thing out there, or am I wasting my time?

The closest that I've found so far is the Petzl Oxan, but it looks a bit on the big side and ideally it needs to be a D/offset D shape too.

Anyone...?
 deepsoup 21 Dec 2012
In reply to tehmarks:
DMM do 10mm steel D karabiners as screwgates, double or triple action twistlocks:
http://dmmprofessional.com/products/steel-carabiners/steel-10mm-equal-d-ran...
Any good?
 Fraser 21 Dec 2012
In reply to tehmarks:
> Best not to ask why ....

Oh come on, surely you can't seriously expect to start a thread with those words and get away with it?!

Why?

OP tehmarks 22 Dec 2012
In reply to deepsoup:

Looks promising, thanks. I might pick one up and on the off chance it's no good for her I'm sure I'll find a use for it.
OP tehmarks 22 Dec 2012
In reply to Fraser:

She's a trapeze artist and is looking for a krab for her end of her lunge rope (the thing that stops her dying if she falls off). She wants a self-locking krab because she's had screwgates undo themselves before, and it needs to be fairly compact to not get in the way or be annoying. She'd also prefer it to be steel for personal peace-of-mind reasons.
In reply to tehmarks: It sounds to me like a 6mm or 8mm stainless steel maillon might be worth considering.

The inconvenience of five seconds with a spanner might be worth it for the compactness and peace-of-mind.
 BallsOfSteel 23 Dec 2012
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

Seconded Maillon suggestion.

Compact, secure, strong...steel!

BOS
 garburn 23 Dec 2012
In reply to tehmarks: Check out the foin twist lock karabiners too
http://www.abaris.co.uk/Sports-Karabiners-or-Carabiners/Foin-10mm-Steel-D-T... for example
 deepsoup 23 Dec 2012
In reply to tehmarks:
> She'd also prefer it to be steel for personal peace-of-mind reasons.

Regarding this bit - if she thinks an aluminium carabiner won't be strong enough, that's an irrational fear and possibly one worth working at to get over.

If size/weight are important, two DMM Phantom screwgates back to back would still be less than half the weight of a steel screwgate/twistlock/whatever.

If there's time to do it up and check it, I'd second (third) the suggestion of a maillon. You'd be wanting a proper PPE rated one, available down to 7mm in stainless steel and ridiculously strong: http://www.peguet.fr/gb/produits/EPI_industrie-EPI_montagne_normal.html
OP tehmarks 24 Dec 2012
In reply to tehmarks:

A maillon wouldn't be suitable as she needs to be able to clip in quickly before her routine. Having to break a spanner out in front of a full audience probably won't go down so well! Similarly, reversed krabs or anything other than the minimum of faff is no good either.

Her preference for steel is more for inspection and longevity purposes rather than any worry about strength. The krab she's using at the minute is aluminium, but it's a decent-sized HMS and she's not entirely happy with it - so I thought I'd see if I could find her 'ideal krab' for Christmas...
 alooker 09 Jan 2013
In reply to tehmarks: who says romance is dead, good to see you're giving krabs for Xmas
 Blue Straggler 09 Jan 2013
In reply to tehmarks:

Why does it need to be small? If it is a visibility issue then maybe a matt black anodised army "stealth" screwgate (as made by DMM and sold in - I think - V12 Llanberis) might do the trick - if they have a self locking one.
If there are other reasons it needs to be small then please ignore me
My own trapeze-artiste friend just spent 8 weeks flying around on stage in an Aladdin panto
 knighty 09 Jan 2013
 Neil Williams 09 Jan 2013
In reply to tehmarks:

A Belay Master? Won't cross-load, and the plastic clip over the screw means it is less likely to come undone (and she won't forget to do it up, as is a distinct possibility). And they aren't very big.

Neil
 Neil Williams 09 Jan 2013
(I realise these are neither steel nor self-locking, but they are very commonly used where people clip in to climb because they provide a fairly decent mitigation against a number of the issues caused by clipping in using a single krab otherwise)
In reply to Neil Williams:

I think "speedy and slick" is the order of the day here, if I understood the OP's later posts correctly.
OP tehmarks 09 Jan 2013
In reply to tehmarks:

In the end I ordered one of the Foin self-lockers and she seems happy with it. The size thing isn;t really about visibility but about getting in the way. Her current krab is apparently a bit big and slightly annoys her and gets in the way. Not being a trapeze artist myself I'm not entirely sure why though.

Problem solved eventually though, thank you for all your help (and the brownie points thus received...)
In reply to tehmarks:
> Her current krab is apparently a bit big and slightly annoys her and gets in the way. Not being a trapeze artist myself I'm not entirely sure why though.

That may be more to do with your not being a girl, than not being a trapeze artist....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...