/ Nikwax

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
bigpad - on 22 Dec 2012
does anyone know if Nikwax can be used on anything? by this i mean can you use it on something that is not waterproof or never was and it will gain waterproofing?
Ben Sharp - on 22 Dec 2012
In reply to bigpad: I take it you're talking about the TXDirect, not the leather waterproofing?
The T X Direct wont make anything waterproof, it will add a slight water repellency to most materials though.
ceri - on 22 Dec 2012
In reply to Ben Sharp: Nikwx is a company not a product. They do various waterproofing products which do make various things waterproof and these are generally fabric specific, although we ahve used cottonproof on non-cotton fabrics and it seemed to work fine!
http://www.nikwax.co.uk/en-gb/productselector/productselectorV2.php
rtwilli4 - on 22 Dec 2012
In reply to bigpad:

Correct that they make loads of products for different applications. Their "Tech Wash" is just a cleaner that is safe for waterproof/water resistant fabrics. It doesn't add and water repellency. You can wash anything in it and in fact it is less harsh for your clothing than regular detergent.
Ben Sharp - on 23 Dec 2012
In reply to ceri:
> (In reply to Ben Sharp) Nikwx is a company not a product. They do various waterproofing products which do make various things waterproof and these are generally fabric specific, although we ahve used cottonproof on non-cotton fabrics and it seemed to work fine!

Selling the stuff on a daily basis I am aware that nikwax is a company, hence why I specified in my response that I made the assumption the OP was talking about TXDirect; they didn't make it clear what particular product they were requesting information on but TXD being the most used fabric waterproofing of their range it seemed like a reasonably safe assumption to make.

No Nikwax waterproofing makes fabric waterproof, it's adds a water repellency to the fabric. To test this, treat any non-waterproof fabric with any of the Nikwax range and fire a hose at it.
ads.ukclimbing.com
ceri - on 23 Dec 2012
In reply to Ben Sharp: Sorry Ben, Meant to reply to OP, he was the one being vague, you were very precise! I was also being vague assuming that he didn't really mean "waterpoof" but "water resistant"...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.