UKC

Nikwax

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bigpad 22 Dec 2012
does anyone know if Nikwax can be used on anything? by this i mean can you use it on something that is not waterproof or never was and it will gain waterproofing?
 Sharp 22 Dec 2012
In reply to bigpad: I take it you're talking about the TXDirect, not the leather waterproofing?
The T X Direct wont make anything waterproof, it will add a slight water repellency to most materials though.
ceri 22 Dec 2012
In reply to Sharp: Nikwx is a company not a product. They do various waterproofing products which do make various things waterproof and these are generally fabric specific, although we ahve used cottonproof on non-cotton fabrics and it seemed to work fine!
http://www.nikwax.co.uk/en-gb/productselector/productselectorV2.php
rtwilli4 22 Dec 2012
In reply to bigpad:

Correct that they make loads of products for different applications. Their "Tech Wash" is just a cleaner that is safe for waterproof/water resistant fabrics. It doesn't add and water repellency. You can wash anything in it and in fact it is less harsh for your clothing than regular detergent.
 Sharp 23 Dec 2012
In reply to ceri:
> (In reply to Ben Sharp) Nikwx is a company not a product. They do various waterproofing products which do make various things waterproof and these are generally fabric specific, although we ahve used cottonproof on non-cotton fabrics and it seemed to work fine!

Selling the stuff on a daily basis I am aware that nikwax is a company, hence why I specified in my response that I made the assumption the OP was talking about TXDirect; they didn't make it clear what particular product they were requesting information on but TXD being the most used fabric waterproofing of their range it seemed like a reasonably safe assumption to make.

No Nikwax waterproofing makes fabric waterproof, it's adds a water repellency to the fabric. To test this, treat any non-waterproof fabric with any of the Nikwax range and fire a hose at it.
ceri 23 Dec 2012
In reply to Sharp: Sorry Ben, Meant to reply to OP, he was the one being vague, you were very precise! I was also being vague assuming that he didn't really mean "waterpoof" but "water resistant"...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...