UKC

Verdon - general walking info for in and around the gorge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ksjs 22 Dec 2012
I'm posting on behalf of some friends who are interested in visiting the Verdon to walk. They're after walks of several miles to around 10 miles long, reasonable terrain (no scree), clear and signed paths ideally.

I've only climbed there so have no idea of what is / isn't possible in terms of walks. For example is there anything relatively easy angled to get to the bottom of the gorge, is it even possible to walk along the bottom of the steepest parts of the gorge? If you can't walk along the gorge bottom are there good walks in the surrounding area? Any good English language walking guidebooks available?

Any help much appreciated.
 DaveR 22 Dec 2012
In reply to ksjs:

There is a walk that goes along the bottom of the gorge. Well sign posted and not too hard, not circular so may have to get a taxi back to the car. It's quite popular so loads of info about it in the tourist info.
 ebygomm 22 Dec 2012
In reply to ksjs:

There is a cicerone book that has some walks in the area, although not exclusively just for that region.

The sentier martel is fairly straightforward, take headtorches,leave car at the end, taxi to the start and walk back to the car

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ebygomm/2840389604/in/set-72157607179621442
 ChrisJD 22 Dec 2012
In reply to ksjs:

Taking into account "reasonable terrain (no scree), clear and signed paths ideally......relatively easy angled to get to the bottom of the gorge".

A gorge walk, 'there and back' though the tunnels (take head-torch) from Point Sublime end is fine (we did it with a bunch of 3-7 year olds), but further downstream there are exposed sections with ladders that may not be to their taste....(my wife ran from Chalet CAF de la Maline to Point Sublime along the gorge path and said the ladders were surprisingly exposed).

I did a fair bit of great mountain biking along GR routes in the general area and there will be tons of great walking to be had (and NOBODY on them).

Castellane would be a good place to base themselves near (bigger & nicer than La Palud).

ebygomm 22 Dec 2012
In reply to ChrisJD: we walked from chalet caf de la maline to point sublime. I don't recall the ladders being particularly exposed, in fact the only thing i really remember is they made your hands filthy. I've walked GR routes with far more exposure.
 ChrisJD 22 Dec 2012
In reply to ebygomm:

Read the OP.
 ChrisJD 22 Dec 2012
In reply to ebygomm:

I don't really want to get into a willy waving competition about it.

We're climbers and shouldn't assume everyone can deal with even 'particularly exposed'. As I know her well, I'd go with my wife's assessment of "surprised how exposed they were".

ebygomm 22 Dec 2012
In reply to ChrisJD:

The Op says relatively easy paths with no scree and clearly signposted, which the route is. There are ladders/steps too but i wouldn't rule the route out on the basis of the info given. I'm sure the op's friends can read around and decide for themselves but it's a walk i'd be happy to take my parents on.

ebygomm 22 Dec 2012
In reply to ksjs: walking in Provence was the cicerone guide i mentioned earlier, just looked it up
 Nick_Scots 22 Dec 2012
In reply to Chris Harris:

An excellent walk, we did it in July 2010.

Park as they did then a bus down to the Chalet. You then have no rush as you are just going back to your car.

It was airless down in the Gorge, summer, but excuse to swim and wade about.
OP ksjs 23 Dec 2012
In reply to ksjs: Thanks all for replies - the via ferrata / ladders look like something they will be comfortable with but I'll pass this on and they can have a look.

I think I've got the Provence Cicerone guide so will have a look and see what's in there too.
 Nick_Scots 23 Dec 2012
In reply to ksjs: It's NOT Via Ferrata just ladders and handrails.

Give Way to Ascender though

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_or7rOw2xF84/Snb25u-EdyI/AAAAAAAAAbo/w8HVMte0aKk/s...
 nick simons 23 Dec 2012
 ChrisJD 23 Dec 2012
In reply to nick simons:

I biked that route (ending Point sublime) and went out to the Belvedere viewpoint. The main downhill (about 1500 vertical feet in about 10 minutes) is one of the best natural descents I've done in a long time. Great riding.
 SteveSBlake 24 Dec 2012
In reply to ksjs:

In addition to the gorge walk already mentioned, there is a deserted village up above La Palud, and beyond just beyond it a chapel in a cliff that has a little passage to the cave above it. To the North across the valley is what I think is the local high point, we walked over to, and up it, then followed an obvious circut back - it was a full day walk and would be quite stout in winter.

No idea about walking guides.

Steve
 Chris Harris 24 Dec 2012
In reply to ksjs:
The walk up to the Cadieres de Brandis is also pleasant.

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=751395

Phill Mitch 24 Dec 2012
In reply to ksjs: I think it might be wise to take a torch for the gorge walk, tunnels at the point sublime end are quite long and dark. Also try to avoid taking a taxi back to the start as they do tend to rip you off.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...